Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Elevation is WAY Different Than Suggested

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nO0b

nO0b

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:24 PM

I've got a new SlimLine on a Pole mount, in concrete, dead-plumb according to a magnetic beam level placed anywhere vertically on the pole. Very solid.

The problem is, the recommended elevation for my area (~36 degrees) is WAY too high, and I get 0% on all birds. I can get 98+ on 101 with about half that elevation, and all HD channels appear to be in order (local, nat'l, etc), so with just that change, my course adjustment appears to be working.

Azimuth and tilt are spot-on w/ the recommended settings (azimuth:230, tilt:62) but the elevation is not even close to what they recommend.

What am I doing wrong? How is this actually working at all?

Thanks!

:newbie:

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:34 PM

It's conceivable that they screwed up the database, but it's more likely that the elevation scale on your dish isn't zero'ed properly. The zero is indicated by the metal plate, not by the screw/bolt, BTW.

#3 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:47 PM

I've got a new SlimLine on a Pole mount, in concrete, dead-plumb according to a magnetic beam level placed anywhere vertically on the pole. Very solid.

The problem is, the recommended elevation for my area (~36 degrees) is WAY too high, and I get 0% on all birds. I can get 98+ on 101 with about half that elevation, and all HD channels appear to be in order (local, nat'l, etc), so with just that change, my course adjustment appears to be working.

Azimuth and tilt are spot-on w/ the recommended settings (azimuth:230, tilt:62) but the elevation is not even close to what they recommend.

What am I doing wrong? How is this actually working at all?

Thanks!

:newbie:

OTHER POSSIBILITY:

The elevation is measured from the side scale and not by putting a level, protractor or clinometer on the arm.

Tune the elevation until you get a good signal, lock it down and examine the settings. Thirty six degrees seems correct for that az.

Joe

#4 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

I would like to add that 18% wouldnt make any sense anywhere in the United States. Thats almost parallel to the ground

#5 OFFLINE   mark44

mark44

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:46 PM

did your receiver have Slimline in the guided setup?
My new recevier I bought today only had oval dish 3 LNB ( 101, 110, 119 ) which was not correct. I am using 99, 101 and 103. Maybe this was your issue.? :confused:
The readings are very different for tilt and elev and azim in the eastern seaboard states...

#6 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:04 PM

I would like to add that 18% wouldnt make any sense anywhere in the United States. Thats almost parallel to the ground

NONETHELESS,
We had Bay Broadband out for a sight survey for their internet service. They could have hit their tower with 18 degrees. Their tower would have had to be about a mile high. Their line of sight is parallel to the earth. Life is tough without a bird.

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 02 January 2009 - 09:05 PM.
typo

spam firewall