Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

"D" Up to its old tricks

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ub1934

ub1934

Icon

• Registered
  • 518 posts
  • LocationUpState NY

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:29 PM

Have been with "D" since the days of Primstar & now have one Dtivo going bad , we have the PP and we were told it will cost us $85/$100 to replace the unit with a non DVR unit , we were told no free replacement or upgrade :mad::mad: Thought the plan says free replacement & no 2 year add on to our contract

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:32 PM

Try the CSR roulette, call in again.

#3 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:34 PM

u cant teach an old dog new tricks.

#4 ONLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,883 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:36 PM

Have been with "D" since the days of Primstar & now have one Dtivo going bad , we have the PP and we were told it will cost us $85/$100 to replace the unit with a non DVR unit , we were told no free replacement or upgrade :mad::mad: Thought the plan says free replacement & no 2 year add on to our contract

I'm by no means an expert on the PP but I thought it covered all current DirecTV receivers.

Maybe there is list of receivers covered and is limited to the most recent receivers.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#5 OFFLINE   SDizzle

SDizzle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:41 PM

I'm by no means an expert on the PP but I thought it covered all current DirecTV receivers.

Maybe there is list of receivers covered and is limited to the most recent receivers.

Mike

Nope, it covers all recievers. About 6 months ago they replaced an R10 for me, that was not a "current" receiver at the time. They of course sent an R15.
HR34-700 (1), HR23-700 (1), HR22-100 (1), HR20-700 (1), HR21-700 (1), HR21-100 (1)
Running a SWM16 with DECA
Retired: HR20-700 (1), HR10-250 (1), R10 (1), DTivo DSR-704 (1), D-10 (4), D-11 (4), R15-500 (4)

#6 OFFLINE   beavis

beavis

Icon

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:29 PM

They'll send you a free replacement DVR (I.E. a like item). Why would you want to replace it with a non DVR receiver? You can use DVR's as regular receivers.

#7 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:03 PM

ub1934,

As recently as this past summer I had to replace a Hughes SD DVR80 under the protection plan. I was sent an R22, no shipping, no new commitment and the R22 is reflected on my account as "owned".

Any time I've dealt with replacing receivers under the PP (about 4 or 5 now in total), I've spoken directly with the Protection Plan department. I'm not sure if that's who you've been dealing with, but when the voice prompt asks for the reason for your call, I would say "Protection Plan Department" or "Technical Support" and if it asks for anything further I would say "defective Receiver" or something to that effect.

I've never had a problem with that. And since I'm sure the DTiVo is owned, make sure they process the replacement as such and when you call to activate the replacement, you should tell the CSR that the replacement should be coded as an owned receiver and that it should not affect your current commitment period end date, nor result in a new commitment period if you are not currently under one.

#8 OFFLINE   meStevo

meStevo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:52 AM

I think either you misunderstood the offer or they weren't explaining themselves well... $85/$100 sounds like they were trying to upgrade you to HD. Mom just had her DTivo replaced by a HDDVR for free (flawless acct history for going on 5 years), but they wanted to charge her to upgrade the dish and stuff and she passed.

#9 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:39 AM

Don't talk to a regular CSR. Call the Protection Plan direct. They are staffed with people who actually know the rules.

(888) 667-7463
When news breaks...we fix it.

#10 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:07 AM

The Protection Plan only covers "like for like" replacement of faulty receivers. If you want to move to any other receiver (in your case, a standard receiver, HD receiver or HD DVR) it is not a replacement but an upgrade that may be chargeable, depending on your account status.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#11 OFFLINE   Blackwing

Blackwing

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:28 AM

the last 2 upgrade have cost me only my time. 11 months ago full system upgrade, new dish new boxes. and just this last week 1 additional HD DVR
no cost and they moved one box to the kitchen.
Slimline-5
HR24-100
HR21-100
H21-200
all tv's are only 1080i

#12 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:33 AM

like they all been saying...call again...free replacement with a OWNED dvr. dont forget that the pplan replaces your owned receivers with owned receivers.

#13 OFFLINE   fredandbetty

fredandbetty

Godfather

• Registered
  • 494 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:34 AM

ub1934,

As recently as this past summer I had to replace a Hughes SD DVR80 under the protection plan. I was sent an R22, no shipping, no new commitment and the R22 is reflected on my account as "owned".

Any time I've dealt with replacing receivers under the PP (about 4 or 5 now in total), I've spoken directly with the Protection Plan department. I'm not sure if that's who you've been dealing with, but when the voice prompt asks for the reason for your call, I would say "Protection Plan Department" or "Technical Support" and if it asks for anything further I would say "defective Receiver" or something to that effect.

I've never had a problem with that. And since I'm sure the DTiVo is owned, make sure they process the replacement as such and when you call to activate the replacement, you should tell the CSR that the replacement should be coded as an owned receiver and that it should not affect your current commitment period end date, nor result in a new commitment period if you are not currently under one.

I also have had receivers replaced ( i believe they were r10's, and also a DirecTivo ( Hughes) replaced with no probs whatsoever) and as long as they are owned, just make sure they repeat that back to you ( since all calls may be recorded for qual;ity purposes) ;)
5-LNB Dish, AT9 Dish, Zinwell multiswitch
2- HR20-700 ( Ver. 0x038E) HDMI connection, Native - On, Animations -OFF :) , R15-100 and R15-300
Mitsubishi 52"

AT&T U-verse Internet

#14 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:14 AM

The Protection Plan only covers "like for like" replacement of faulty receivers. If you want to move to any other receiver (in your case, a standard receiver, HD receiver or HD DVR) it is not a replacement but an upgrade that may be chargeable, depending on your account status.

That's what I get for responding to these things late at night.

Newshawk is absolutely right, and I missed the "nuance" when I read this the first time. Under the Protection Plan, they will replace your dead DTiVo with a Standard Definition DVR. If you want to replace that DTiVo with just a standard SD Receiver ($69.99) or an HD non-DVR Receiver ($99.99), you can certainly do that, but it will cost you. The only free replacement you would get for the DTiVo under the PP is an SD DVR.

Thanks, Newshawk! :)

#15 OFFLINE   IcedOmega13

IcedOmega13

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:40 AM

That's what I get for responding to these things late at night.

Newshawk is absolutely right, and I missed the "nuance" when I read this the first time. Under the Protection Plan, they will replace your dead DTiVo with a Standard Definition DVR. If you want to replace that DTiVo with just a standard SD Receiver ($69.99) or an HD non-DVR Receiver ($99.99), you can certainly do that, but it will cost you. The only free replacement you would get for the DTiVo under the PP is an SD DVR.

Thanks, Newshawk! :)

Indeed all reply's are correct you get replacements of the same item. You don't trade in your advanced equipment to get a standard box.
My equipment of wonder!
-------------

HR21-700 (deceased) Living room - TV - HL61A750 61'' LED DLP
HR21-700 Mstr Bedroom - PL4260N 42'' Plasma
H23-600 Bedroom2 - 22'' Toshiba LCD/DVD
R15-300 Bedroom 3 19'' Toshiba LCD
-----------
Pc
Q9650 3.0ghz Intel Quad Core (for now)
8gb ddr2 pc8500
2x 1Tb hdd in raid
HD Radeon 4870 1gb