Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole mess of questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RexTraverse

RexTraverse

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:22 AM

Hi. Been using this board for a long time as a resource, never posted, but I've got some questions that I can't find answers to and hope you guys can help me. (and if they've been asked before, I promise I definitely tried looking first)

Some background: Been with DirecTV for years, currently have a R15, H20, D11, and HR20. I definitely own them all except the HR20 and the R15 is currently not being used.

1. Have the Service Plan. If any of the receivers I own break down from regular wear-and-tear (which afaik is covered), is the replacement gonna be a lease or do I own?

2. I was recently able to convince my parents to switch to DirecTV but they won't need a DVR. If I have D* put the R15 on their account, can it be run as a basic receiver w/o DVR functionality or is the hardware gonna be able to record anyway and the fee is mandatory?

3. My mom's got a D6U-series Sharp Aquos with the notorious channel change static crack over HDMI with the H21. Want to test it with the H20 I have and if it solves the problem, give CS a call to switch them. Will my receiver it even work at her house without calling CS first or will D* get all fussy and cry contract violation? (the receiver is active)

4. Will be moving soon and plan to ditch the SDTV in the process so just 2 HDTVs. Gonna use the H20 as a bridge until whenever the DirecTiVO HD comes out for 2 HD DVRs. Any way for the installer to prep the second room for DVR but not actually set it up so I can just order the receiver, plug it in, and give D* CSR a call or is this yet another installer needs to come out kind of deal?

Appreciate any and all help. You guys have cured many a D* headache over the years. Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:03 AM

Welcome to the forum. But may I suggest, if you have been looming around for a while you may have found out the different threads that involve each question. Might give you better results to separate each one and post them where the expertise is on tap. :)

#3 OFFLINE   Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:37 AM

Hi. Been using this board for a long time as a resource, never posted, but I've got some questions that I can't find answers to and hope you guys can help me. (and if they've been asked before, I promise I definitely tried looking first)

Some background: Been with DirecTV for years, currently have a R15, H20, D11, and HR20. I definitely own them all except the HR20 and the R15 is currently not being used.

1. Have the Service Plan. If any of the receivers I own break down from regular wear-and-tear (which afaik is covered), is the replacement gonna be a lease or do I own?

2. I was recently able to convince my parents to switch to DirecTV but they won't need a DVR. If I have D* put the R15 on their account, can it be run as a basic receiver w/o DVR functionality or is the hardware gonna be able to record anyway and the fee is mandatory?

3. My mom's got a D6U-series Sharp Aquos with the notorious channel change static crack over HDMI with the H21. Want to test it with the H20 I have and if it solves the problem, give CS a call to switch them. Will my receiver it even work at her house without calling CS first or will D* get all fussy and cry contract violation? (the receiver is active)

4. Will be moving soon and plan to ditch the SDTV in the process so just 2 HDTVs. Gonna use the H20 as a bridge until whenever the DirecTiVO HD comes out for 2 HD DVRs. Any way for the installer to prep the second room for DVR but not actually set it up so I can just order the receiver, plug it in, and give D* CSR a call or is this yet another installer needs to come out kind of deal?

Appreciate any and all help. You guys have cured many a D* headache over the years. Thanks!

1. lease
2. no, dvr service is contractually bound, no way out of that
3. As long as the dish is essentially the same and the receiver is already active, it should work ok. If you still get the HDMI snap,crackle,pop from it, switch her to component cables.
4. D* will make a tech come out for the upgrade, no way around it unless you go to Best Buy or somewhere and get the receiver yourself.

#4 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:16 AM

1. lease

Owned receivers replaced under the Protection Plan SHOULD be replaced with "owned", if the CSR does it right. I've done it several times with my own equipment. It should cost nothing (not even shipping) and should not result in a new commitment period (though any existing commitment would continue as is).

And Welcome to DBSTalk, RexTraverse! :welcome_s

#5 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:41 AM

Any way for the installer to prep the second room for DVR but not actually set it up

es, it's called a 'convenience outlet'. Not part of the free standard install and hence a custom charge is involved.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#6 OFFLINE   RexTraverse

RexTraverse

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:58 PM

Thanks to all for the help and the welcome. I'm not overly concerned about having to deal with yet another install when HD TiVo comes out, but thought it might save some effort especially when I was gonna be taking advantage of their Mover's Special in a few months anyway.

To armophob: Yeah... call it a board noob mistake. Did a few searches but couldn't find the right threads and all four questions were running around my head. Didn't want to be *that guy* that joins and starts four threads. Appreciate the advice. Thanks!

#7 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:51 PM

Its possible to use a DVR as a standard receiver without DVR fuctions technically, as Directv accidentally turned mine off once, and it still worked, just wouldnt allow any trick play functions. Now, as to whether they will actually allow you to sub a dvr without paying the fee is another question.

For your second room, tell Directv you plan to use the two of your single receivers there, and the DVR in your other location. Then sometime later, deactivate the boxes you wont be using until the Directivos come out. This will give you the 2 drops in each room. If they use a SWM lnb dish for the new install, it wont matter as you can use one cable.

#8 OFFLINE   DishCSR

DishCSR

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:43 AM

Owned receivers replaced under the Protection Plan SHOULD be replaced with "owned", if the CSR does it right. I've done it several times with my own equipment. It should cost nothing (not even shipping) and should not result in a new commitment period (though any existing commitment would continue as is).

And Welcome to DBSTalk, RexTraverse! :welcome_s

once again, jluc you are correct, owned recvrs are replaced with owned recvrs, and as you already stated, "as long as the csr does it right", which also includes the csr that's activating the replacement. if that csr does not choose the "pending owned recvr slot". and instead just "adds" a slot, then it will be listed incorrectly as "leased".
former dish csr

#9 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:25 PM

Its possible to use a DVR as a standard receiver without DVR fuctions technically, as Directv accidentally turned mine off once, and it still worked, just wouldnt allow any trick play functions. Now, as to whether they will actually allow you to sub a dvr without paying the fee is another question.

For your second room, tell Directv you plan to use the two of your single receivers there, and the DVR in your other location. Then sometime later, deactivate the boxes you wont be using until the Directivos come out. This will give you the 2 drops in each room. If they use a SWM lnb dish for the new install, it wont matter as you can use one cable.

remember, however, that a leased dvr without dvr service is a violation of the customer agreement, and could be considered a 'You dirty RAT!!!'
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#10 OFFLINE   RexTraverse

RexTraverse

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:51 AM

Really good idea. I was kinda thinking the same thing where, at install, pull the R15 back out and have the installer set up the R15 in one room and the HR20 in the other. Then do a switcheroo a month or so later while I wait for TiVo. (Arrgh... the choice between SD DVR vs. HD w/o DVR to tide me over is gonna be a tough one. Although... iirc, I saved every episode of all three I Love the 80s on the R15. Hrm... might be worth it. haha)

remember, however, that a leased dvr without dvr service is a violation of the customer agreement, and could be considered a 'You dirty RAT!!!'

Fortunately for me, only have one leased receiver, and it's the HR20 which most certainly is gonna be used with DVR service. :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...