Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TV Ratings for NHL outdoor game DET @ CHI

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 883 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:18 AM

William Houston

*NBC earned a 2.9 overnight rating (percentage of potential U.S. households tuned in) for its telecast of the NHL Winter Classic (Detroit Red Wings-Chicago Blackhawks), up 12 per cent from 2008 (2.6, Pittsburgh Penguins-Buffalo Sabres). It was the best overnight rating for a regular-season NHL game in 13 years (Feb. 3, 1996, 3.0, six-game regional telecast on Fox).

Top three U.S. markets: Chicago, 11.8; Detroit, 10.5; Buffalo, 10.1. Viewers in Florida seemed intrigued by the wintry scene. West Palm Beach (3.3) and Orlando (3.2) ranked ninth and 10th in the country.

Going up againest college football bowl games , those are good tv ratings for the NHL

http://www.globespor...ortsHockey/home

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:06 PM

I'm not a Hockey fan. But I am a Cubs fan and I tuned into NBC to see the winter classic played at Wrigley Field. Seeing that place used for a Hockey game was interesting to see.

#3 OFFLINE   Italia

Italia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:23 AM

I was shocked to see this rating. I go to a live NHL game once a year, but have not watched a full NHL game on television around 10 years now, except for this one gam. I look forward to this game. I thought last years was much more fun to watch in the snow. I hope they go back to Buffalo or maybe pick a Canadien city. Could you imagine a Quebec, Winnepeg, or Calgary location?

#4 OFFLINE   Italia

Italia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:52 AM

I was shocked to read two locations wanting next year's game:
1. Las Vegas
2. Rose Bowl (at night)

Are you kidding me? Even if they can keep the ice solid.....I find this ridiculous. But it would be so typical of the NHL to make a dumb business decision. I believe people tune in because of the winter elements. They like seeing the teams play in the cold and sometimes snow. It's a throw back to when most NHL fans were kids remember going to the pond.

#5 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:01 AM

I thought last years was much more fun to watch in the snow. I hope they go back to Buffalo or maybe pick a Canadien city. Could you imagine a Quebec, Winnepeg, or Calgary location?

How would that be different than Chicago? It doesn't snow in those cities every single day.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#6 OFFLINE   Italia

Italia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:57 AM

I think the words "Winter Classic" make it different. The temperature alone makes it challenging. This last game had a challenge of the wind chill being a factor for the goaltenders.

#7 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:03 AM

I think the words "Winter Classic" make it different. The temperature alone makes it challenging. This last game had a challenge of the wind chill being a factor for the goaltenders.

Agreed, but why would those Canadian cities or Buffalo be better than Chicago (or Detroit or Minnesota). As far as I know, they all have "Winter".

#8 OFFLINE   Italia

Italia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:16 AM

I'm not knocking Chicago. I think it was a great location to select. However, I preferred Buffalo with a higher chance of snow. By me suggesting a Canadien city, had nothing to do with a chance of snow. Isn't it winter all year round in Canada (kidding...but not really). I heard it was so cold in Winnipeg that dogs get stuck to fire hydrants. Just more of a challenge for the players. Braving the elements of the cold. Don't get me wrong...Chicago wasn't a bad thing. But Las Vegas or the Rose Bowl would be a joke.

#9 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:26 AM

The Winters in Calgary, Montreal, and Winnepeg aren't really any different than the Winters in Montana (only a couple hundred miles from Calgary), Minnesota (about 100 miles from Winnepeg) or Maine (Montreal is actually further south than Maine). Or any other Northern US city.

Now, you could have it in the Yukon or the Northwest Territories and it would be colder and probably more snow, but that would also hold true for Alaska.

#10 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 883 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:01 PM

There was talk of skipping 2009 and playing 2010 in Vancouver before the Olympic Games started.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...