Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Utah Jazz - KJZZ clarifications - NBA League Pass not a solution

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:13 PM

I've seen some chatter about KJZZ the last few days that should probably be clarified a bit.

KJZZ last year carried 40 Jazz games and the station was carried on DIRECTV. This year KJZZ is carrying 16 games, which 4 have already taken place prior to January 1st. So 12 games remain on that station for the 2008-09 season.

Right now the station is not carried by DIRECTV. KJZZ has historically provided the channel to DIRECTV free of charge. Now they are asking for renumeration despite having 60% of the Jazz games removed from their station. The demands right now are "outrageous" to quote a DTV release. When you go from paying $0 for 40 games and are now asked to pay a significant sum for only 16 games (40% of the inventory), well that becomes an issue.

I've also read on some blogs that customers in the Salt Lake City DMA have looked at NBA League Pass as a way to address this issue with KJZZ. Unfortunately, that is NOT A SOLUTION. KJZZ provides Jazz games in the Jazz "in market" territory, which for simplistic illustration is essentially Salt Lake City DMA. NBA League Pass is an out of market product which allows customers OUTSIDE of their local market to see other NBA teams. So, a customer looking to pick up these 12 Jazz games on NBA League Pass will not be able to....those games will be blacked out in the "in market" territory of the Jazz (essentially the Salt Lake City DMA).

Five of the 12 games are being simulcast on either ESPN or NBA.TV, so ultimately DIRECTV subscribers in the home team territory would be able to view those five games on a national outlet thus reducing the number of lost games "in market" to 7 games this year.

I've included a statement by D* below which summarizes the position. It is hopeful that this issue can be worked out.

“DIRECTV continues to be interested in reaching an agreement with KJZZ, but to date, KJZZ's economic demands have been outrageous. Historically, the channel has made its signal available to DIRECTV at no charge and is also free over the air. Now KJZZ is requesting a significant fee for its programming and in this extremely difficult economic climate, these demands represent a potential burden on our customers. Though we did not want to take the station down, DIRECTV was notified by KJZZ that it would have to stop broadcasting its signal imminently if we did not give in to their demands. We remain willing to carry the channel while both parties negotiate in good faith.”

Edited by Satelliteracer, 05 January 2009 - 02:19 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:25 PM

I tend to lean to the side of the carrier when it comes to these negotiations. More often than not the signal is asking way to much out of the carrier, and it seems to be this way in this scenario. Sucks for Jazz fans, but luckily it isn't a huge loss.

It would be nice if the Lafayette DMA (or any Louisiana DMA) would have access to CoxSports since every game with the Hornets is blacked out otherwise, but that seems to be in the same boat as KJZZ

#3 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:56 PM

The hard part for DirecTV would be justifying much of an expense for a carriage agreement for an independent station, one that would have little significant programming past local sports, and in this case, 7-16 games depending on how you look at it.

If it was a network station like ABC, it could be a much different story.

To go from zero carriage costs to any fee at all would require the carrier to evaluate the true value to that channel.

#4 OFFLINE   Oilfan

Oilfan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:47 PM

I believe the NBATV games will be blacked out in the Jazz home market.

I am not sure if ESPN is able to co-exist with local broadcasts or not (or how many they can).

#5 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:34 AM

I believe the NBATV games will be blacked out in the Jazz home market.

I am not sure if ESPN is able to co-exist with local broadcasts or not (or how many they can).

NBAtv should be blacked out at home (occasionally it gets missed), however, ESPN doesn't have blackouts for the NBA and can show the game in Utah.
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#6 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:05 AM

Great post satracer. You are very generous with your time here.
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#7 OFFLINE   garbec

garbec

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:39 PM

For those of you who were watching KJZZ on DirecTV before it was pulled, did DirecTV carry it in HD? I assumed no, therefore I was using OTA to tune KJZZ. KJZZ had been broadcasting a few Jazz games in HD.

Due to my access to OTA, I am not effected by this fiasco.

#8 ONLINE   Crystal Pepsi Ball

Crystal Pepsi Ball

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:14 PM

For those of you who were watching KJZZ on DirecTV before it was pulled, did DirecTV carry it in HD? I assumed no, therefore I was using OTA to tune KJZZ. KJZZ had been broadcasting a few Jazz games in HD.

Due to my access to OTA, I am not effected by this fiasco.

No, KJZZ was not in HD on the satellite before it was pulled.

#9 OFFLINE   aa9vi

aa9vi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:20 PM

Just an observation, If D* had satellite receivers with integrated OTA, customers could simply go to the OTA channel instead. That would give D* more leverage in the negotiations. The AM21 kind of does that, but not every one has this add-on. I think this is just another case for adding in the integrated OTA into the new HD receivers. ... and OTA takes in more HD feeds to the customer... that's another reason.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...