Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP622/ViP722 - L6.16 Software Experiences/Bugs Discussion

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:05 PM

It appears that L6.16 for the ViP622/ViP722 has begun spooling to some customers. Please use this thread to post your experiences and bugs found with this release.

Be sure when you report an issue or an experience be sure to include details and specify what receiver you saw it on. We definitely have seen some issues be receiver model specific so including the model is always good practice.

After receiving an update, if your box does not appear to be operating properly first step should be, find a ten minute period where nothing is recording, and then pull out the AC plug for 20 seconds and then plug it back in.

Reported Fixes:
  • The auto tune feature is now working properly
Reported Possible New Issues:
  • False signal drops on all sats. I would have to hit the guide button to get
  • One user has reported lose of 5pts on all his OTA channels.
  • Some reports of Close Caption Issues.
  • When selecting an entry in a list the select pointer does not automatically advance now.
Other Reported Highs and Lows:
  • Has been reported that L6.16 is spooling to L6.15 & L6.14 receivers. Roll out appears to be phased and not fully rolled out to all receivers.
  • Users are reporting CC issues with L6.16. Report CC issues here http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=149678.
  • Did not fix the Broadband / DishHOME functionality issue.
  • Jerky video has changed under 6.16 -- it's more rare and if it happens it's more subtle.

Moderator Note: Feel free to report getting it or not, but don't be suprised if we sweep through and delete those type of posts with an update at the top indicating the state of the roll out.

Edited by Ron Barry, 20 January 2009 - 12:12 PM.

<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dishcustomer722

dishcustomer722

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:48 AM

If you got this L6.16 software update (I'm still stuck with L6.14), start recording on your local channels to see if they finally fixed all the "audio dropout" problems and all the other problems people are talking about with L6.15. Test it out on lots of stuff if you have time. We all want to see what the consensus "fixes" and "flubs" are with this new L6.16 version ... as shown on this "ViP722 Software History" webpage:

www.dishuser.org/722sw.php

Hopefully, this will finally fix the basic functionality of VIP 622/722 boxes as far as video/audio feeds and playback goes and new software versions will only be newly added features.

Edited by dishcustomer722, 06 January 2009 - 09:53 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   Farmer Dave

Farmer Dave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:39 AM

Got L616 on 722 and two 622's. The auto tune feature is now working properly.

#4 OFFLINE   PRIME1

PRIME1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:53 AM

Good Grief! I haven't even gotten L6.15 yet. I was still waiting to see if that fixed my issues.

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,319 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:23 PM

Got it. (ViP722) Since we're still on a reduced schedule I have set as many timers for shows we watch as I can on my 722 even though some were originally set for my 612. By the end of the week I should have a fair test of what's happened with the audio dropout except on Fox which has nothing new scheduled in prime time that we watch.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#6 OFFLINE   Scott Spillers

Scott Spillers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:59 PM

Got L6.16 last night on my ViP622. No problems thus far.
Scott Spillers

---------------------
Dish Network Customer Since 1997
Receiver History: 5000 & 3000 > 501PVR & 5000 > ViP622 > ViP722k > 2 Hooper 2Ks & 1 Joey 1.0
Dish History: 500(110,119) > 500(110,119) & 300(148) > 1000(110,119,129) > 1000(110,119) & 500(129) > 1000(110,119) & 24"(129) > DishHD(110,119,129)

#7 OFFLINE   BJK

BJK

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:18 PM

I still have 6.14 on the two 622 that I have activated and the only problem I am seeing is that some of the closed captions are out of sync and disappear to quickly, almost like the processor is overloaded.

BJK
1 ViP622
1 VIP612
Mitsubishi 62" WD-62628 DLP 1080P
Onkyo TX-NR905 AV Receiver
ORB Audio 7.1 channel setup
Dish 1000.2
Dish Network since '98

#8 OFFLINE   jpeckinp

jpeckinp

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:08 PM

OK I've not been paying much attention lately.
What is this Auto Tune Feature?

Just to add I hated 6.15 when I got it I started having problems with false signal drops on all sats. I would have to hit the guide button to get my picture back. 110 and 119 had 70+ and 129 had 50+. I would have to reset the 622 and it would be good for a few days then it would start all over again.

#9 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:12 PM

Auto Tune is an option when you create a timer. It basically tells the DVR to change to the channel but not record it. Useful for external recording devices and for changing the channel early in the morning so your kids don't see an HBO movie they should not see because you were watching HBO the night before.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#10 OFFLINE   kstuart

kstuart

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:05 PM

Auto Tune is an option when you create a timer. It basically tells the DVR to change to the channel but not record it. Useful for external recording devices and for changing the channel early in the morning so your kids don't see an HBO movie they should not see because you were watching HBO the night before.

It is good for simply tuning the receiver automatically for a program that you do not want to save for later, thus avoiding using up your hard drive space.

For example, I have it tune to my morning TV show one hour before I turn on the TV, which means the buffer is filled, and I can go back to earlier programming if the current subject is boring (which also allows me to avoid commercials).

In fact, I would love an "Auto Tune And Then Pause" feature. :D

By the way, after receiving an upgrade, find a ten minute period where nothing is recording, and then pull out the AC plug for 20 seconds and then plug it back in. ( I once started to have weird problems after an upgrade that no one else was reporting, so I did this and the problems went away. So, now I do this after every upgrade. ) In fact, Ron should add this paragraph to each new thread of discussions of a new upgrade.
Still using Dish 500 production unit #000001 (pictured prior to upgrade to DPPlusTwin)
Olevia 542i fed by ViP622 and 522

#11 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:23 PM

Great suggestion kstuart... I don't know how many times I have suggested that when people start seeing strange behavior that others are not. Based on your suggesting I will add it to the top of this thread and add it with each new release. Thanks for the suggestion..

#12 OFFLINE   kstuart

kstuart

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:39 PM

You also should ask (in this thread and the "Audio" thread) that people specify whether they use OTA or not.

For example, my unscientific reading of the reports, is that in the SF Bay Area, those who did not use OTA in any way had no problems with L615, while those who did use OTA had various problems.
Still using Dish 500 production unit #000001 (pictured prior to upgrade to DPPlusTwin)
Olevia 542i fed by ViP622 and 522

#13 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

......my unscientific reading of the reports, is that in the SF Bay Area, those who did not use OTA in any way had no problems with L615, while those who did use OTA had various problems.

You have that in reverse. It's the local HD channels via sat that have the audio dropouts. I see I have 6.16 on my 622 and 722 and I look forward to recording events and monitoring the results.

(Crossing fingers, eyes & toes.) :)
All I want is a Perfect DVR!

#14 OFFLINE   harmil2

harmil2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:39 PM

I am so lucky...still have L6.14, but since I don't have ABC anymore it really doesn't matter. Fox has been getting better without L6.15 from the Portland, Or. station.

#15 OFFLINE   Lincoln6Echo

Lincoln6Echo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:10 PM

Don't you mean Skinomax? :lol: But seriously, the movie channels don''t usually have "risque" movies on in the mornings.
END OF LINE

#16 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:25 PM

True.. However, they may have a R rated violence movie or a PG-13 that I don't want my 8 yr old to see. But we are wondering off topic so lets get back to L6.16 feedback. :D

#17 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

Sadly, as reported on this thread: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=149309, I am still experiencing audio dropouts on the local CBS HD channel via satellite when viewing buffered events on the 722. Essentially no change and no fix.
All I want is a Perfect DVR!

#18 OFFLINE   jpeckinp

jpeckinp

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:19 PM

OK I used that all of the time. Never had a problem with it. Thanks

#19 OFFLINE   dishcustomer722

dishcustomer722

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:44 PM

Anyone else with a VIP722 box get the L6.16 software yet?

I'm dying to know if it is going to fix all the "audio dropout" problems with local channels. The more feedback from people all over the country the better. Try to set a "timer" (record a program) on your local channels like ABC and Fox and then play it back to see if you hear audio dropouts. Also try to pause some "live" programming for 15 minutes or so and see if you hear any audio dropouts.

Thanks in advance.

#20 OFFLINE   Doug E

Doug E

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:44 PM

I live in the SF Bay Area. Have the 722 and now have 616. Dropouts on ABC and FOX seem to have ceased. None on recordings, and no longer on the buffered pauses either. Hooray!!

spam firewall