Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How do I contact DirecTV's guide department?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:24 AM

Does anybody know how to (or is anybody able to) contact the people who work on the guide for DirecTV?

There is an issue with the guide for the FOX and ABC HD locals in the Johnstown-Altoona DMA (WWCP and WATM).

They were added in HD in October, but the guide was never updated to indicate that they are HD channels. If I turn on the HDTV channels filter they do not appear. None of the shows on these channels have HD tags.

It seems as if the feeds were switched from SD to HD but nothing was changed in the guide programming to reflect it.

I tried e-mailing DirecTV from the webpage and that route was fruitless. I posted this in the HD Locals issues thread a few months ago as well.

This doesn't seem to be a problem with the Tribune data as much as a problem with DirecTV's meta-data. I'm just hoping to get the problem in front of the eyes of someone who can fix it.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:39 AM

I dont know how to contact the guide provider...what you can always do is call DIRECTV and have them "escalate" the info to the National Escalations Team. I think by them emailing them they might be able to fix the problem.

#3 OFFLINE   PaulieORF

PaulieORF

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:50 AM

I would send a message to Satelliteracer, the dude gets stuff done.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:53 AM

Actually, please don't. Satelliteracer is not in the "guide data department" and is very generous with his information but does not handle any operational requests.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:06 AM

You could also try contacting the local station. They may have the correct contacts within DirecTV, and they have a vested interest in that information being correct.
DogLover

My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:32 AM

You could also try contacting the local station. They may have the correct contacts within DirecTV, and they have a vested interest in that information being correct.

Ding...Ding...Ding!

This is your best bet. The local station's contacts at DirecTV are a lot higher up then what you'll get with a CSR. Ride the local station and see what they can do.

By the way, the local station is responsible for the guide data anyway. Very possible they actually aren't even providing guide data for their HD feed for DirecTV. This can be most true for smaller market stations. Check Zap2It and see if your station has their HD feed there.

#7 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:04 AM

Ding...Ding...Ding!

This is your best bet. The local station's contacts at DirecTV are a lot higher up then what you'll get with a CSR. Ride the local station and see what they can do.

By the way, the local station is responsible for the guide data anyway. Very possible they actually aren't even providing guide data for their HD feed for DirecTV. This can be most true for smaller market stations. Check Zap2It and see if your station has their HD feed there.

Zap2It does have the HD indicators for these channels. I am 99% certain it is a DirecTV problem. Basically, it seems that when they turned on the HD feeds, all they did was change the stream, but didn't do anything to the guide, so the guide still thinks they are SD channels.

Edited by paragon, 06 January 2009 - 11:20 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

I dont know how to contact the guide provider...what you can always do is call DIRECTV and have them "escalate" the info to the National Escalations Team. I think by them emailing them they might be able to fix the problem.

I did e-mail DirecTV and that bore no fruit.

#9 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:14 PM

Zap2It does have the HD indicators for these channels. I am 99% certain it is a DirecTV problem. Basically, it seems that when they turned on the HD feeds, all they did was change the stream, but didn't do anything to the guide, so the guide still thinks they are SD channels.

Right, I never said it wasn't a DirecTV problem. The issue is you aren't going to get anywhere with them. Let your local stations know that DirecTV doesn't have any guide data for their HD feeds and then *they* can take it much farther up the foodchain vs. your email/call to DirecTV going into the CSR file bin never to be seen again. Understand? :D ;)

#10 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:17 PM

Right, I never said it wasn't a DirecTV problem. The issue is you aren't going to get anywhere with them. Let your local stations know that DirecTV doesn't have any guide data for their HD feeds and then *they* can take it much farther up the foodchain vs. your email/call to DirecTV going into the CSR file bin never to be seen again. Understand? :D ;)

Unfortunately...I'm not too hopeful I'm going to get very far with my local stations, either. My main motivation for posting was actually hope that somebody here would be able to route it to the proper people.

#11 OFFLINE   PaulieORF

PaulieORF

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:50 PM

Actually, please don't. Satelliteracer is not in the "guide data department" and is very generous with his information but does not handle any operational requests.

Sorry. I was just suggesting because he was able to help me with a local issue in the past, but I can understand your point, I don't want the poor guy to end up getting flooded with requests.

#12 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:16 PM

Let your local stations know that DirecTV doesn't have any guide data for their HD feeds and then *they* can take it much farther up the foodchain vs. your email/call to DirecTV going into the CSR file bin never to be seen again. Understand? :D ;)

While that's probably the best route to take for OTA guide data, even though that often fails, I'm not really sure that would help him with THIS problem.

If I'm understanding him right, DirecTV HAS guide data for his HD-LIL. DirecTV is simply not putting the "HD" tags on his HD-LIL... which sucks when he wants to use the filter to display only HD channels.

If Zap2it.com has "HD" tags on the programs, it certainly appears to be a DirecTV problem. Some station employees might be willing to help him get it straightened out, but I'd imagine most would blow him off, misunderstand what he's saying, or simply ignore him.

Personally, I'd recommend re-posting this issue in the HD-LIL thread again... stating that it is still an issue, and hope for the best!

~Alan

#13 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:24 PM

While that's probably the best route to take for OTA guide data, even though that often fails, I'm not really sure that would help him with THIS problem.

If I'm understanding him right, DirecTV HAS guide data for his HD-LIL. DirecTV is simply not putting the "HD" tags on his HD-LIL... which sucks when he wants to use the filter to display only HD channels.

If Zap2it.com has "HD" tags on the programs, it certainly appears to be a DirecTV problem. Some station employees might be willing to help him get it straightened out, but I'd imagine most would blow him off, misunderstand what he's saying, or simply ignore him.

~Alan

You got it Alan! Not only are the HD tags missing for programs, but the channel itself must be missing it's HD meta-tag. When I do the HDTV Channels filter, they don't appear.

Heres the sequence of events:

DirecTV added Johnstown-Altoona's NBC and CBS HD locals in August. On the same date they added SD MPEG4 simulcasts of ABC, FOX and PBS to eliminate the need for the 72.5 dish.

In October, they added the ABC and FOX HD feeds.

According to the transponder map stickied above, there is only one feed of each station on 103(s) [and my guide with SD duplicates visible only has 1 of each channel listed] so......

My guess is they just replaced the SD feeds with HD ones and did not update the guide.

#14 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:33 PM

Are you SURE the channels you are WATCHING are HD?
Because based on what I have read, which may be incorrect, it sounds like the HD channels are not showing up in your guide, as in, your not seeing the HD channels, as in, you're not watching the HD channels.
Which means that while you beleive you have the HD channels, (or, atleast the locals) you dont.

Just because someone says they're broadcasting in HD, doesnt mean DirecTV is getting the HD feed.
Have you checked anywhere (theres a thread around here somewhere) that shows that DirecTV is in fact getting an HD feed from your local stations to begin with?

#15 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:33 PM

Personally, I'd recommend re-posting this issue in the HD-LIL thread again... stating that it is still an issue, and hope for the best!

~Alan

Are you SURE the channels you are WATCHING are HD?
Because based on what I have read, which may be incorrect, it sounds like the HD channels are not showing up in your guide, as in, your not seeing the HD channels, as in, you're not watching the HD channels.
Which means that while you beleive you have the HD channels, (or, atleast the locals) you dont.

Just because someone says they're broadcasting in HD, doesnt mean DirecTV is getting the HD feed.
Have you checked anywhere (theres a thread around here somewhere) that shows that DirecTV is in fact getting an HD feed from your local stations to begin with?

They are DEFINITELY in HD. They are just tagged and marked as if they are SD channels. The issue is not with the feed (though the feeds are kinda sub-par), it is with the guide.

#16 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:59 PM

Heres the sequence of events:

DirecTV added Johnstown-Altoona's NBC and CBS HD locals in August. On the same date they added SD MPEG4 simulcasts of ABC, FOX and PBS to eliminate the need for the 72.5 dish.

In October, they added the ABC and FOX HD feeds.

According to the transponder map stickied above, there is only one feed of each station on 103(s) [and my guide with SD duplicates visible only has 1 of each channel listed] so......

My guess is they just replaced the SD feeds with HD ones and did not update the guide.

I'm confused now. Out of curiosity, on your guide with SD duplicates visible, do you have your FAVORITES list set to ALL CHANNELS? Because I might understand the transponder map having a mistake, but for there to be no SD version would just be weird since there was one previously... unless they figured that the only people who would be viewing the MPEG4 versions would have a receiver capable of receiving the HD versions... and they could simply leave the SD versions on 72.5 temporarily?!?!

~Alan

#17 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:46 PM

I'm confused now. Out of curiosity, on your guide with SD duplicates visible, do you have your FAVORITES list set to ALL CHANNELS? Because I might understand the transponder map having a mistake, but for there to be no SD version would just be weird since there was one previously... unless they figured that the only people who would be viewing the MPEG4 versions would have a receiver capable of receiving the HD versions... and they could simply leave the SD versions on 72.5 temporarily?!?!

~Alan

I don't have a favorites list set up so its not that. Your guess (about leaving SD on 72.5) is probably correct. I think they initially put up SD channels in MPEG4 so that they could do MPEG4 installs without the 72.5 dish and then when they got the HD feeds they replaced them. This theory will be put to the test soon because our local PBS (WPSU) is supposed to be getting their HD feed on DirecTV in the near future. We'll see if they replace the SD MPEG4 or if it remains.

Edited by paragon, 06 January 2009 - 09:12 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   GolfProRM

GolfProRM

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:21 AM

I know when they launched our PBS in HD (KLNE), they just replaced the MPEG4 SD channel. The guide only shows one channel listing (SD dups on or not) - The guide does not list any hd content, but it is HD, and zap2it has the HD tags. Our NBC station (KHAS) doesn't have HD tags on anything either, but it's also HD.

#19 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:17 AM

I know when they launched our PBS in HD (KLNE), they just replaced the MPEG4 SD channel. The guide only shows one channel listing (SD dups on or not) - The guide does not list any hd content, but it is HD, and zap2it has the HD tags. Our NBC station (KHAS) doesn't have HD tags on anything either, but it's also HD.

Do the channels show up when you put on the HDTV Channel filter? That bugs me far more than the lack of HD tags on programs.

#20 OFFLINE   GolfProRM

GolfProRM

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:32 AM

Do the channels show up when you put on the HDTV Channel filter? That bugs me far more than the lack of HD tags on programs.

Don't use that feature, so I haven't tried -- I'll check when I get home tonight.

spam firewall