Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How do I contact DirecTV's guide department?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,385 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:57 PM

I'm in the same area as OP and my ch 6-NBC and 10-CBS are OK. They show in the HD-only guide with HD symbols for HD programming. But indeed, 8-FOX and 23-ABC do not show in the HD-only guide and have no HD programming tag when receiving HD programming.
Hope this helps:)
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

Yep. Still going to get farther in getting it fixed by getting the local station on it vs. you ending up in CSR hell. Not saying who's "fault" it is, simply what is the most effective route to go to get it fixed. That's all I've been saying. ;)

#23 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:05 PM

Yep. Still going to get farther in getting it fixed by getting the local station on it vs. you ending up in CSR hell. Not saying who's "fault" it is, simply what is the most effective route to go to get it fixed. That's all I've been saying. ;)

I understand your position and in general I would agree with it. But these stations in particular....I'm not too hopeful they will be helpful.

#24 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:18 PM

I understand your position and in general I would agree with it. But these stations in particular....I'm not too hopeful they will be helpful.

Have you checked out your HD local thread on AVS? You might be surprised to find your local station engineers actually posting there. 3 of ours do. If they don't then I'm sure that there are people on the forum that have the email of the engineers and/or could tell you if they are helpful.

Good luck.

#25 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,385 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:18 PM

I can sure vouch for that statement. :(
To me, they seem to think that HD is just a passing fad that will fade away. Both are owned by the same cheap company! FOX-8 has even been having their news broadcasting done by WJAC-NBC-6.
Fred

#26 OFFLINE   50+

50+

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:26 PM

In Oct when our channels went to the hd feeds on 103W I assumed that channel 9 PBS went HD. That is not the case and it is still not HD. and it does not show up in the HD filter guide. When I still had my 72.5 dish hooked up there were 4- channel 9's, channel 9 from 72.5, channel 9 from 103w, channel 9.1 OTA, and channel 9.2 the OTA HD feed. I am assuming D* does not have a commitment from my local PBS to send the HD feed on 103W. This is the case in our DMA. My point is just because they are on one of the HD sats. does not nessarily mean they are in HD. With native on what rez do you see.

#27 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:28 PM

In Oct when our channels went to the hd feeds on 103W I assumed that channel 9 PBS went HD. That is not the case and it is still not HD. and it does not show up in the HD filter guide. When I still had my 72.5 dish hooked up there were 4- channel 9's, channel 9 from 72.5, channel 9 from 103w, channel 9.1 OTA, and channel 9.2 the OTA HD feed. I am assuming D* does not have a commitment from my local PBS to send the HD feed on 103W. This is the case in our DMA. My point is just because they are on one of the HD sats. does not nessarily mean they are in HD. With native on what rez do you see.

I don't mean to be rude, but you are the second person to question whether the channels are actually in HD.

As I said before, I am 100% certain that the channels are in HD.

Our PBS is the same as yours. SD MPEG4. FOX and ABC are not SD. They are HD.

#28 OFFLINE   50+

50+

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:49 PM

At this thread newshawk says that your locals are in fact in HD. At the top of the page there is a PM to him for corrections. Since he has the in on the channels maybe he can help. Just a suggestion. I probably should have checked there before I made my other post. Sorry if I offended you.
http://members.cox.n...HDLIL_CITY.html

#29 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,385 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:03 PM

There is no question.
8-FOX and 23-ABC have been in 720p HD for some time now on Directv..
I've seen every College Bowl game in HD on ABC and FOX, as well as almost all the NFL games on FOX.
My HR20's and HR21's even light 720p and 1080i leds to indicate such. THe Rose Bowl was gorgeous, alas the result was not:)

Edited by FHSPSU67, 07 January 2009 - 02:09 PM.

Fred

#30 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:05 PM

There is no question.
8-FOX and 23-ABC have been in 720p HD for some time now on Directv..

Yup. The issue has never been the picture format. It's just the guide data.

#31 OFFLINE   ryno2292

ryno2292

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:46 AM

Same DMA here as well and Paragon and FHSPSU67 are 100% correct. Both channels are definitely in HD but the guide doesn't list them as such, rather annoying when trying to use the HD filter, etc.

#32 OFFLINE   GolfProRM

GolfProRM

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:26 AM

Do the channels show up when you put on the HDTV Channel filter? That bugs me far more than the lack of HD tags on programs.

It's strange - my NBC (KHAS) does not show in the HDTV filter, but PBS (KHNE) does.

spam firewall