Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP HD DVR Audio related Issues - (Post your current audio related issues Here)

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:53 PM

Sacred redwoods, isn't that idolatree?
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:29 PM

Well...! (Think Jack Benny look, or maybe you're too young.)

So you got your fix and you're abandoning the rest of us.:D

(I wish I was too young to remember Mr. Benny). I'm still lurking. But I'm a much happier camper these days. Hopefully, the remaining dropout issues like yours will be addressed now that another veil has been lifted.
All I want is a Perfect DVR!

#203 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:10 PM

As I posted in another thread, I now have audio drop outs on my local CBS affiliate in Houston. They are repeatable, they are more prolonged on the optical to my Onkyo than on the HDMI to my TV. And this just started with 6.18 so hang in there St Louis. You'll get it back with the next revision :P

#204 OFFLINE   Dr. Cool

Dr. Cool

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:24 PM

I've had 6.18 for a few days now. Picture quality has always been fine with HDNet Movies. Even if not perfect, much better than the rest.
As I reported before, I'm having however frequent audio dropouts with HDNet Movies (and HDNet) when the show is DVR recorded. Some movies and shows are more affected than others.
For example, I decided to test it thoroughly yesterday, and watched "Little Big Man" at 9:30 PM, "Bonnie and Clyde" at 12:00 AM, and "Little Big Man" again at 2:00 AM, and recorded all three shows. I experienced no dropouts at all when watching them live. Nonetheless, when I rewound and rewatched parts of them, what were before dropout-free scenes had sometimes audio dropouts, although *only* with "Little Big Man," on *BOTH* time slots and around approximately the same places!
So it looks to me like these were problems with the "Little Big Man" stream originating from the HDNet source, problems that affect *ONLY* DVR watching. For example, if the problem was with the sat signal (which by the way is strong and perfect), I shouldn't have had audio dropouts around the same scenes only on both broadcasts of "Little Big Man" and no dropouts with "Bonnie and Clyde."
By the way, I changed *ALL POSSIBLE* settings of my ViP622 and the dropouts wouldn't disappear.
How can something like this be happening?

#205 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,418 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:26 AM

Got L6.18 on my ViP722 this morning. Did a hard reboot. Recorded and watched tonight's NCIS and The Mentalist on KPIX 5 CBS. Had dropouts that did not affect the dolby on my A/V receiver, not repeatable when replayed. Fairly typical for CBS show since L5.XX (can't remember exactly which version and it doesn't matter, as there is no indication that Dish is continuing to deal with this dropout problem).

Ron, you might as well add L6.18 to the thread title.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#206 OFFLINE   Bill_K

Bill_K

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:39 PM

Dancing with the stars, ABC, San Francisco, 3/24…Recorded program had an abrupt audio drop out half way through the program lasting several minutes (don’t know how many). The fix was to stop the play back, then go back and resume. Apparently, the audio/video sync gets lost.

I’ve notice this problem while watching live satellite feeds as well. The fix for this situation is to switch to another channel, and then back to the show you were watching.

As other posters have mentioned, this problem is not isolated to ABC.

Dish has been through several firmware updates over the last 6 months and has still has not been able to fix this problem. PAs my Dish bill goes up, so does my dissatisfaction. Thankfully, there is an alternative.

L618 firmware

Edited by Ron Barry, 25 March 2009 - 02:45 PM.
Light Bash removal

Vip622, Vip211K, DVR625, Sony KDL46XBR3, Denon AVR-2800

#207 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:31 PM

Dancing with the stars, ABC, San Francisco, 3/24…Recorded program had an abrupt audio drop out half way through the program lasting several minutes (don’t know how many). The fix was to stop the play back, then go back and resume. Apparently, the audio/video sync gets lost.

I’ve notice this problem while watching live satellite feeds as well. The fix for this situation is to switch to another channel, and then back to the show you were watching.

As other posters have mentioned, this problem is not isolated to ABC.

Dish has been through several firmware updates over the last 6 months and has still has not been able to fix this problem. PAs my Dish bill goes up, so does my dissatisfaction. Thankfully, there is an alternative.

L618 firmware

We need to hear what SF OTA saw (or possibly all west coast). No problem here in NY.

Edited by tnsprin, 01 May 2009 - 07:05 AM.

Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#208 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,418 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:04 AM

We need hear what SF OTA saw (or possibly all west coast). No problem here in NY.

Tonight we recorded "In the Motherhood" on San Francisco ABC KGO 7. While we don't plan to watch that show again, the period of time between the start of the show and about 4 seconds into title screen was without audio. Had to ff beyond and rewind back to just before the audio started up. Don't know if that was true for OTA.

"Grey's Anatomy" on the same channel was fine in the next hour.

We are having this intermittent problem more and more, but we had it before L6.18. Still have the other audio dropout problem. Still have jerky video. Still don't have whatever they did on the ground to fix St. Louis. Still have not received the courtesy of a response to my emails on the subject. Still p*ssed about the latter.

#209 OFFLINE   keiths2112

keiths2112

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:37 PM

Tonight, while watching a DVR'd Big Bang Theory, lost audio for about 1 minute. Then while watching live 2 1/2 Men, lost audio for about 30 seconds. In addition, lost the ending of 2 1/2 Men due a commercial that ended straight into the credits. Not sure if this is Dish or Channel 5's problem. Not happy!

#210 OFFLINE   Dood

Dood

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:37 AM

I just want to confirm that indeed the STL audio issues seem to be a thing of the past. I have noticed no issues for several weeks.

I also want to apologize for being a bit testy about this issue, but I felt that my complaints to Dish Network were falling on ears of people who didn't care. Obviously someone cared, but that same customer service needs sent down to the CSR's.

So I am a happy camper now and I hope those of you that still have issues are more patient than I was.
Dood-

#211 OFFLINE   kww

kww

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:48 PM

Thank you for your email. We apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused.
Thank you for providing the information for our engineering department. Bla bla bla.....

They are currently working towards a resolution for this issue.
Unfortunately, we do not have a status report for this situation at this time.
:nono2::nono2::nono2:

Your business is greatly appreciated bla bla bla.....

Thank you,
Brandon W.

DISH Network Technical E-care

DISH 500 vip722 /L6.18/dual mode/ HDTV via component and TOS/SDTV via modulator/Sling classic on SVID and RCA audio

#212 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:05 AM

Most of the recent discussion here seems focused on locals in specific markets, and I agree that it's good that these local channels have experienced improvements. However, even more customers would be helped if the more general audio problem were fixed. Again, just to be absolutely clear:

1) Use a satellite channel which is not a local, to reduce any chance of this varying by market or broadcast type. For example, use Food Network HD.
2) Use Dolby Digital as the audio type, with a Dolby Digital receiver connected via optical providing the sound.
3) Watch completely live television. Verify that there are no audio dropouts heard and everything works as expected.
4) Use the "pause live TV feature" to pause the programming for a few minutes. Watch the programming in this "delayed" mode. Verify that brief audio dropouts (~1 second) are heard every so often, but that if one backs up and replays a section where a dropout is heard, the audio is fine the second time.

Is this issue still present for folks or not?

#213 OFFLINE   Dr. Cool

Dr. Cool

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:41 PM

Following the steps above, I have them present with Platinum HD channels such as HDNet Movies, but not with regular HD channels such as Comedy Central. I start to wonder if it's not a problem with HDNet.
Besides the original question, I have yet rare but clear audio dropouts with OTA PBS despite having a 100% perfect OTA signal. For example, I had two or three dropouts while watching a recording of "We Shall Remain." Notice that it doesn't happen with all PBS shows, normally only with new, high quality prime time stuff.

#214 OFFLINE   manzelmo

manzelmo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:10 PM

Following the steps above, I have them present with Platinum HD channels such as HDNet Movies, but not with regular HD channels such as Comedy Central. I start to wonder if it's not a problem with HDNet.
Besides the original question, I have yet rare but clear audio dropouts with OTA PBS despite having a 100% perfect OTA signal. For example, I had two or three dropouts while watching a recording of "We Shall Remain." Notice that it doesn't happen with all PBS shows, normally only with new, high quality prime time stuff.

All of my PBS OTA recordings yesterday had audio problems. I don't watch them live it was pretty depressing. I'm gonna check today to see if it is still happening plus check FOX local so I don't get a surprise recording "24" OTA on Monday

#215 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,418 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:52 PM

Last night, 2 hours of HBO programming and 2 hours of USA programming had no audio dropout. On the other hand, "Cold Case" from the satellite feed of KPIX 5 CBS had three very annoying audio dropouts. Just thought I'd post this info occasionally for what it's worth.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#216 OFFLINE   garytjia

garytjia

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:00 PM

I have L618 on my 722. In the last few days, suddenly 2.0 audio signal stopped being passed onto my receiver and I can only hear noise from the subwoofer but no audio through the rest of the speakers. The receiver indicate 2.0 audio, but no audio. When the program goes to 5.0 audio, the sound came back. I usually only watch HD programs and now if we go to a local ad or local program which output 2.0 audio, there is no sound. I talked to Dish tech support and we could not resolve the problem. Does anyone experienced this or have any insight to this issue?

Thanks,

#217 OFFLINE   kww

kww

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:49 PM

We never watch live TV, (that’s why we have a DVR…) :eek2:
so I have no data there. But the short one word drop outs happen on all recorded programming…. (All) And yes this is using a DD link to a DD receiver.
:nono2:
As a side note we have never see this issue watching the same recorded content on the SD TV running off the TV-2 modulator
:eek2:

#218 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:08 AM

I can't believe this issue (i.e., the one word/one second audio drop-outs when using the optical link and watching non-live content) has been around this long. Is it possible that Dish Network only has analog audio connections for testing? Or that the issue is so complex that they simply can't fix it? This issue is trivial to reproduce, and impacts nearly everyone who uses this hardware configuration.

It's not new, it's not a mystery, but it's incredibly irritating. I'm really starting to think about switching to AT&T U-Verse, since the "wait, what was that word?" viewing experience is getting to be a real deal-breaker.

#219 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,418 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:21 PM

I can't believe this issue (i.e., the one word/one second audio drop-outs when using the optical link and watching non-live content) has been around this long. Is it possible that Dish Network only has analog audio connections for testing? Or that the issue is so complex that they simply can't fix it? This issue is trivial to reproduce, and impacts nearly everyone who uses this hardware configuration.

It's not new, it's not a mystery, but it's incredibly irritating. I'm really starting to think about switching to AT&T U-Verse, since the "wait, what was that word?" viewing experience is getting to be a real deal-breaker.

I have to conclude that it doesn't happen to the folks in the Denver area. They are closer to the satellites. It is impossible to believe that Echostar engineers would put up with this in their own homes. Of course, they may get their TV from cable....:eek2:

My AV Setup

#220 OFFLINE   AlbuquerqueJohn

AlbuquerqueJohn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:42 PM

I see no mention of Software Revision L6.51 or L6.52. Are the various revisions specific to geographic areas? Colorado isn't that far from Albuquerque, yet I see no mention of the software that shows on my (third) 722k -the L6.51 revision. Where am I missing the proverbial boat??:D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...