Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP HD DVR Audio related Issues - (Post your current audio related issues Here)

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:15 AM

I see no mention of Software Revision L6.51 or L6.52. Are the various revisions specific to geographic areas? Colorado isn't that far from Albuquerque, yet I see no mention of the software that shows on my (third) 722k -the L6.51 revision. Where am I missing the proverbial boat??:D

The 722k is not covered by this thread entitled ViP622/ViP722 - L6.16/L6.17/L6.18 Audio Related Issues Discussions . It's not that we don't like you 722k users, it's that Dish is not using the same software versions.:)

By the way, if you are having the audio dropout, tell us about it anyway because it's likely the software code creating the problem is the same. I have the problem in my 612 and am not reluctant to mention it here.

Edited by phrelin, 04 June 2009 - 12:25 AM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:43 AM

Yes by all means if you are experiencing audio issues on your 722K report these here. I will update the title to reflect the 722k.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#223 OFFLINE   Dr. Cool

Dr. Cool

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:07 AM

As an update, I should report that because of the frequent dropouts that I had before I canceled my subscription to HDNet and MGM, and as such my audio dropouts are gone. No audio dropouts with HBO HD channels. Dropouts with my OTA channels such as PBS and FOX have been rare lately, so for me it stopped being an issue.

#224 OFFLINE   AlbuquerqueJohn

AlbuquerqueJohn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:21 AM

Yes, my 722k is having audio issues. It appears to be on the HD channels as well as SD. It will decrease in volume, "stutter", then fall off to nothing. Over three minutes or so it starts to come back in reverse - low volume, "stutter", then slowly back to normal.

Hitting "rewind" soetimes help, but most often not. Changing channels (hit previous channel & recall) typically resolves the issue immediately.

#225 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,321 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:42 AM

As an update, I should report that because of the frequent dropouts that I had before I canceled my subscription to HDNet and MGM, and as such my audio dropouts are gone. No audio dropouts with HBO HD channels. Dropouts with my OTA channels such as PBS and FOX have been rare lately, so for me it stopped being an issue.

If I liken the problem to "noise", for my wife and I it "quieted down" to the point that frequently only one of us would notice a dropout. But then it would be "loud" on a particular recording, most often from locals off the satellite but a very few times even on HBO. It still tends to happen when there are "breaks" in the flow such as before or after a switch to commercials or from or to blank screens. The reality is that for us it has become mostly "non-disruptive" but it is still there and needs to be fixed IMHO.

#226 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:00 AM

Gah, the website seems to have gone down as I was trying to post a reply...

One thing I wanted to point out is that the 622/722 "single-word audio drop-out" problem may be related to how the A/V receiver on the receiving end handles the brief loss or garbling of the Dolby Digital signal. If the invalid or corrupt data in the bitstream is very small, different brands of receivers might handle this with more or less disruption for the end user. Some users might experience virtually no audio loss at all, while others might lose all audio data until the receiver and the stream are "re-synced", which may result in the loss of a word or two.

Of course, it seems like some huge number of users are watching through their built-in TV speakers and thus are immune to this issue altogether...

#227 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,321 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:09 AM

Gah, the website seems to have gone down as I was trying to post a reply...

One thing I wanted to point out is that the 622/722 "single-word audio drop-out" problem may be related to how the A/V receiver on the receiving end handles the brief loss or garbling of the Dolby Digital signal. If the invalid or corrupt data in the bitstream is very small, different brands of receivers might handle this with more or less disruption for the end user. Some users might experience virtually no audio loss at all, while others might lose all audio data until the receiver and the stream are "re-synced", which may result in the loss of a word or two.

Of course, it seems like some huge number of users are watching through their built-in TV speakers and thus are immune to this issue altogether...

This is a good observation. It also appears that a dropout from my 722 causes my A/V receiver more processing problems than my 612. But from 722 to 722 there seemed to be no difference.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#228 OFFLINE   BarryG

BarryG

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:27 AM

the 622/722 "single-word audio drop-out" problem may be related to how the A/V receiver on the receiving end handles the brief loss or garbling of the Dolby Digital signal.

Using 722K 6.51 here and listening to the HDMI or component analog audio outputs (NOT the optical) - I've found some recordings plagued (every 30sec) with the single word audio drop-outs. I've seen it most often on major network news telecasts, both OTA and via satellite.

#229 OFFLINE   EHorst99

EHorst99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:45 AM

In SF Bay Area with 722's:

Lot's of audio problems, recently. Recorded network shows (Tonight Show) having little "glitches" or soft clicking sounds every 10-15 seconds. Very annoying.

Recorded movies -- WALL-E and The Assination of... -- both unwatchable due to serious audio dropouts. Some for extended (multi-seconds) periods of time.

Audio quality has taken a significant hit recently.

#230 OFFLINE   BarryG

BarryG

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:53 AM

Recorded network shows having little "glitches" or soft clicking sounds every 10-15 seconds. Very annoying.

Same experience here - this is a seriously annoying problem.

update: these clicks seem much worse on the 722K's HDMI output than on Component analog audio output.

Edited by BarryG, 12 June 2009 - 05:06 AM.

#231 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,321 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:59 PM

...having little "glitches" or soft clicking sounds every 10-15 seconds. Very annoying.

For whatever it's worth, had that tonight for about 35 minutes on "The Closer" on TNT.:nono2:

My AV Setup

#232 OFFLINE   LG811User

LG811User

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:25 AM

Noticed the same thing with all the SF Bay Area locals - KGO seems to be the worst

#233 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,321 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:00 AM

Noticed the same thing with all the SF Bay Area locals - KGO seems to be the worst

I don't even post about the problem with the Bay Area locals any more. After fixing the major problem with Fox and ABC audio dropouts, I'm under the impression Dish Network has said to me: "This is all we're going to do for our few very unimportant Bay Area HD customers." And that impresssion came from direct interaction with Echostar Engineering and Dish Quality.

But since I can't get DirecTV because of line-of-sight issues and Comcast doesn't offer HD in our area, I'm trapped with this attitude. Huge sums spent on lawsuits and developing new equipment, modest to no expenditures spent of making existing equipment work as advertised. Even Microsoft keeps plugging away on current products.

My AV Setup

#234 OFFLINE   LG811User

LG811User

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:32 AM

Interesting. Honestly it's been perfect for me for months now - maybe even a year.

I just started see problems again about 2 weeks ago.

#235 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:35 AM

Had the audio glitching (clicking?) every few seconds during an NBC show last night (KSDK, St. Louis, via satellite). Very annoying. VIP722k to Sony KDS-60A3000 via HDMI, no external amp or processing. Just switched back to Dish about a week ago and have noticed on other channels as well, but not as severe as last night on KSDK.
-GA

#236 OFFLINE   SteveRS

SteveRS

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:05 PM

After suffering through the dreaded brief audio dropout on all recordings for more than a year it is now gone.
On the 622 internal hard drive I played ~15 concert and movie selections for over an hour and a half with no audio dropout blips. Normally there would be at least one every 10 minutes per recording. I went back thru 3 years of recordings.

I now am going thru 2 years of selections on 2 MyBook 750 gig external hard drives.
After 45 minutes of Heart on Soundstage(remember old Rave ch 9470 on VOOM) nary an audio blip.

What the heck is going on?
When will it return?

After being a Dish subscriber for about 10 years(6000, 921, 622) I know about their long history of bugs. I'm not going to get my hopes up ;)

DVR-622 software version L621

#237 OFFLINE   rgmiller6

rgmiller6

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:26 PM

I am a new subscriber to Dish Network and I have a VIP 612 DVR hooked up to my home theater receiver with an optical cable. Surround sound and all audio is great until I go to the local channels of CBS and NBC than I lose ALL audio at all times on those networks. My temporary fix for this has been to go to MENU-6-6 and select PCM only, I than lose surround sound on all channels but do have audio on all channels. Can anyone help me with this problem. Thanks in advance.

Here is an update: On NBC Sunday, June 28th, I had audio on the PGA golf but only on some of the commercials. Still no audio on CBS though.

Edited by rgmiller6, 29 June 2009 - 08:09 AM.

#238 OFFLINE   advocate

advocate

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:54 AM

Hey everyone! I just posted a solution on the stuttering/lip sync thread which may solve the problems that are being reported in this thread as well. My discussion thers is quite detailed, and I don't want to repeat it all here. But, the short answer is that you need to reduce the number of events on your schedule, and that may solve the issue. Delete non-essential timers or modify the timers so that they result in fewer "events" on the schedule, and this may eliminate your audio issues. See my post there for more details.

#239 OFFLINE   jetfan

jetfan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:30 AM

I am posting about the clicking/popping sounds that some have reported. I have had a 622 since early May and twice have had to do a soft reboot of the DVR to get rid of the clicks and pops. Sometimes pausing a show and resuming it will make the clicks go away, other times I reboot. It was really bad last night, during live and recorded broadcasts. This doesn't happen when playing other audio sources: games, dvds. So, I believe it's the DVR, although I'm a novice at this, and this is my first DVR, I'm a quick learner.
Anyway, it's oddly comforting to see some others are experiencing the same symptoms as me.

#240 OFFLINE   BarryG

BarryG

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:50 PM

The clicks/pops seem significantly worse when more than one HD program is being recorded simultaneously. My OTA recordings (722K/MT2) seem to have more clicks/pops than my satellite recordings.

spam firewall