Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP HD DVR Audio related Issues - (Post your current audio related issues Here)

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,116 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:44 PM

So is it safe to assume that if you don't have a Dolby system (I don't), you won't experience audio dropouts (I haven't)?

Presently I have one 622 on L6.14.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:12 AM

So is it safe to assume that if you don't have a Dolby system (I don't), you won't experience audio dropouts (I haven't)?

Presently I have one 622 on L6.14.

If you haven't had them maybe you won't have them with the new software. But the dropouts on my 622 occur even when I'm not using the A/V receiver. It's just more annoying when using it and they cause the Dolby to cut out and in and out and....

#23 OFFLINE   plasmacat

plasmacat

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:32 AM

Finally had something to record and watch on ABC - Gray's Anatomy - and there were no dropouts or any problems. Also no problems on buffered Fox or recorded Numb3rs on CBS. I have L6.16 on a 622.

#24 OFFLINE   jb240z

jb240z

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:21 PM

Phrelin wrote:

Since you haven't released any new versions for our ViP612, I would encourage you not to until the problem is completely fixed on the ViP622/722 software. As noted previously, dropouts on the ViP612 do not affect the dolby thereby resulting in a less annoying dropout.

Since my 722 is still at 6.14 and is not hooked to a Dolby system, I can't say anything about 6.16. But, in regards to the quote above, I wish they would do something for the 612. The audio drop is alive and well and DOES affect the Dolby. While watching the BCS championship (Go Gators!), on Fox, the dropout was infrequent during the first half, maybe 5 or 6 times an hour. But as soon as the broadcast switched to the halftime show, the audio dropout became severe, so bad I had to mute the AVR and use the TV speakers. The Dolby was switching every 10-15 seconds, and continued like that for the rest of the game. I could even detect the dropouts on the TV speakers, but it was more of a click or pop.

I am going to move the 722 to the TV with the AVR, and hope it get's the update soon. The 612 is going to the bedroom, hope the wife doesn't mind a little audio drop!

#25 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,318 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:32 AM

Phrelin wrote:

Since you haven't released any new versions for our ViP612, I would encourage you not to until the problem is completely fixed on the ViP622/722 software. As noted previously, dropouts on the ViP612 do not affect the dolby thereby resulting in a less annoying dropout.

Since my 722 is still at 6.14 and is not hooked to a Dolby system, I can't say anything about 6.16. But, in regards to the quote above, I wish they would do something for the 612. The audio drop is alive and well and DOES affect the Dolby. While watching the BCS championship (Go Gators!), on Fox, the dropout was infrequent during the first half, maybe 5 or 6 times an hour. But as soon as the broadcast switched to the halftime show, the audio dropout became severe, so bad I had to mute the AVR and use the TV speakers. The Dolby was switching every 10-15 seconds, and continued like that for the rest of the game. I could even detect the dropouts on the TV speakers, but it was more of a click or pop.

I am going to move the 722 to the TV with the AVR, and hope it get's the update soon. The 612 is going to the bedroom, hope the wife doesn't mind a little audio drop!

Well, OK. Apparently your 612 in the Sacramento DMA is causing the dolby to dropout. I'm sure Dish/Echostar will see your post, but I'll followup on it.

I'd would like to get rid of it on my 612 as it looks like I'll be using it for Bay Area CBS and NBC which still dropout on my 722 after two upgrades.

#26 OFFLINE   PuxicoRG

PuxicoRG

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:04 PM

I have a question (sorry if it's covered in an FAQ or something.)

Where can I find which software version my box is running? (I have a 722 DVR).

I'm in the St. Louis area. My audio dropout problems have been getting progressively worse. 24 on Fox (though my DVR) last night was a complete joke. Not only was the sound dropping out, but the picture was doing funny things. (Pixelation). What's worse - this was through an antenna? Is that even possible?

I sent Dish an email on October 1st complaining, they said they were working on it. I called Dish on Saturday to complain (about a Numb3rs recording, which was horrible.) They told me my problem was my 722, so they're sending a new one. Which I'm not happy about, since I don't think it's a hardware problem in the first place, based on what I've read....

Anyways - any help on the software version location would be appreciated.

#27 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:13 PM

I'm in the St. Louis area. My audio dropout problems have been getting progressively worse. 24 on Fox (though my DVR) last night was a complete joke. Not only was the sound dropping out, but the picture was doing funny things. (Pixelation). What's worse - this was through an antenna? Is that even possible?

I sent Dish an email on October 1st complaining, they said they were working on it. I called Dish on Saturday to complain (about a Numb3rs recording, which was horrible.) They told me my problem was my 722, so they're sending a new one. Which I'm not happy about, since I don't think it's a hardware problem in the first place, based on what I've read....

Just press the "menu" button twice and it will show a window containing information, one of which is the software version.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#28 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:47 PM

This was an issue that was the fault of the network or the local affiliate. This was not an E* issue. The HD channels were horrible via sat as well as OTA. D* users report similar issues.
All I want is a Perfect DVR!

#29 OFFLINE   CopyChief

CopyChief

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:57 PM

If you haven't had them maybe you won't have them with the new software. But the dropouts on my 622 occur even when I'm not using the A/V receiver. It's just more annoying when using it and they cause the Dolby to cut out and in and out and....

An update from St. Louis:
616 is still causing problems on my 722. The dropouts are worse than ever on NBC and CBS, but thankfully don't seem to be a problem on ABC or FOX anymore. Last week's recording of 30Rock (NBC) was borderline unwatchable.

I watched the same recording on TV2, connected via coax, and the dropouts were still there, in the same general places -- not as bad as they were on the TV1 optical setup, but still evident and still disruptive.

#30 OFFLINE   PuxicoRG

PuxicoRG

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:05 PM

This was an issue that was the fault of the network or the local affiliate. This was not an E* issue. The HD channels were horrible via sat as well as OTA. D* users report similar issues.

Thank you - I have been trying to figure that out all day!

#31 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:39 PM

An update from St. Louis:
616 is still causing problems on my 722. The dropouts are worse than ever on NBC and CBS, but thankfully don't seem to be a problem on ABC or FOX anymore. Last week's recording of 30Rock (NBC) was borderline unwatchable.

Thank you for confirming my findings. I too, am located in St. Louis and this is exactly what I have experienced and reported.

#32 OFFLINE   jb240z

jb240z

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:45 PM

Well, OK. Apparently your 612 in the Sacramento DMA is causing the dolby to dropout. I'm sure Dish/Echostar will see your post, but I'll followup on it.

I'd would like to get rid of it on my 612 as it looks like I'll be using it for Bay Area CBS and NBC which still dropout on my 722 after two upgrades.

Thanks Phrelin, I for one appreciate all the work you've done with Dish on this issue, it seems like they are listening at least. Let's hope they can figure this one out soon.

Edited by jb240z, 12 January 2009 - 04:59 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   CopyChief

CopyChief

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:52 PM

Thank you for confirming my findings. I too, am located in St. Louis and this is exactly what I have experienced and reported.

Have you contacted Dish about the ongoing problems? I wrote to the DishQuality e-mail address back in October about this issue and received a cordial reply that they were looking at a fix but it was taking some digging by the software engineers.

I have not written back in a while -- but will now just to ensure the problem is logged.

#34 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:07 AM

Have you contacted Dish about the ongoing problems? I wrote to the DishQuality e-mail address back in October about this issue and received a cordial reply that they were looking at a fix but it was taking some digging by the software engineers.

I have not written back in a while -- but will now just to ensure the problem is logged.

I think I did this quite a while back. Frankly, the current audio dropout issue is a much more severe issue IMHO, so I've decided to chose my battles and place CC on the back burner.

#35 OFFLINE   HDaugherty

HDaugherty

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:42 AM

I got the 722 a few months back and costantly have the audio drop outs to a point where I'm disgusted so checked and found tons of the same problems. I do not know my version, but will start tonight to see where my box is and try an upgrade as well if I'm not at the latest. We have the audio dropouts to a standard TV and our HDMI TV that both run from this box on everything recorded in HD on regular networks. Don't notice the problems on HBO and MAX.

#36 OFFLINE   Todd Nicholson

Todd Nicholson

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:07 AM

I just got upgraded from 6.14 to 6.16, but unfortunately we no longer have ABC which had the worst dropouts. Will have to record some Simpsons on Fox and check for dropouts. The Simpsons was usually pretty bad, too.

#37 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,116 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

I just reported on the other L6.16 thread that I was upgraded this morning to L6.16. I'm going through the motions to see what happens. EHD sleep timer defeat is not functioning as advertized by E*. All else seems ok for now.

Model: ViP622DVR
Previous SW: L6.14
DMA: Denver
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#38 OFFLINE   NTIMID8

NTIMID8

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:33 PM

Dear Dishnet

Thank you!

Its only been 7 months, but BAM!

Watching Fox this evening, I was 5 minutes behind and didn't even know it. Yes, that's right! Something as simple as a program delay for the last 7 months has been brutal for audio drops. Not anymore with L616! I was about to give up too as I have been sitting on 614 waiting and waiting :).

Phil

Detroit DMA BTW

#39 OFFLINE   kstuart

kstuart

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:41 PM

I received an email from the Dish/Echostar folks this morning requesting feedback on the new software. The following is my reply:

If anyone else in the San Francisco Bay Area DMA has some new experiences with L6.16, I'm sure it would be helpful to Dish to see reports posted here.

phrelin - did you ever have your 722 replaced ? A receiver that has a hardware audio problem, would also have all the software ones, and would explain why you had the ABC/FOX problem and resolved it with L615, but have other ones that have not gone away.

Since L615, I have not experienced any dropouts and watching most of the same channels as you.

Some additional data:

- I don't ever remember ever having a glitch in HBO, either audio or video, in several years of watching various shows and movies, whether SD or HD, and the same for Cinemax.

- No problem with any of the episodes of Leverage. or any NBA on TNT.
Still using Dish 500 production unit #000001 (pictured prior to upgrade to DPPlusTwin)
Olevia 542i fed by ViP622 and 522

#40 OFFLINE   Frodo301

Frodo301

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:29 AM

Just got 6.16 on my 622 and audio drop outs continue. Oddly enough I used to have it most severe on the EHD with movie channels Starz & HBO. Rarely noticed it on the DVR itself. Now on DVR or EHD dropouts are worse then ever. Never noticed it on Discovery before and now it exists. Have not had time to check any other recorded shows. HD locals not available and too far for OTA so only SD from dish. Have followed this issue for months via this and the other threads was hoping for fix. :(

spam firewall