Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP HD DVR Audio related Issues - (Post your current audio related issues Here)

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:40 PM

Has anyone seen any release notes for 6.15 or 6.16? I can't find any ... well, actually, I wouldn't know where to go to find them. It's a bit hard to evaluate a new software version when you don't even know what's been incorporated. They might have promised something way back during the last CC, but they could have changed it since --- and we're no wiser.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,769 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:47 PM

No release notes.

#43 OFFLINE   Sunnyatthebeach

Sunnyatthebeach

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:09 PM

I have a different sort of audio problem on my 722 with L6.16. It's been there since at least since 6.14.

Every day I record Special Report on FNC 205 at 3 p.m. PST using the 722's TV2 tuner. Whenever I watch it live on TV1, the audio and video sync up perfectly, i.e. the anchor man's lip movements match perfectly the sound that I hear. However, if I watch the recording later on TV1, the audio is slightly ahead of the video, by a fraction of a second and enough to make the experience annoying when watching.

I don't know if the audio and video are recorded in sync and they go out of sync on playback, or if they are recorded out of sync.

My 722 is connected via HDMI to my Sharp 42D64U. Changing the audio sync setting under
Menu/System Setup/Installation/TV1 Audio Sync
does not improve or solve the problem.

I have not yet tried viewing the playback on the second television set, or recording the program using the 722's TV1 tuner instead of the TV2 tuner.

Anyone else seen this problem?

#44 OFFLINE   NTIMID8

NTIMID8

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:59 PM

Interesting phenomenon with 622 on Fox and ABC locals (Detroit DMA) via dishnet on 118 sat.

While watching live TV I get a occasional "shallow" audio drop with L616, this seems to occur 5-6 times per hour. Now the weird part, you skip back to verify it and its not there.

I don't want to detract at how great L616 is compared previous releases, just making some observations.

Phil

#45 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:35 PM

Received L6.16 overnight (1/15). Previously had L6.14. Lots of audio dropouts on local channel WGCL 46-00 in Atlanta. Program was Criminal Minds recorded 1/14. Receiver is ViP722. I only checked one program before I figured the evening was in the dumper.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#46 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:27 PM

It appears that 6.16 that I got last night solved my dropout problems. While watching the Pres. speech on FOX via Sat. the audio dropped real low. I switched over to the FOX channel OTA and it was that way there too so I think it must have been a broadcast problem. It went back to normal after a minute or so.
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#47 OFFLINE   pawnslinger

pawnslinger

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:45 PM

I just noticed that my 622 was upgraded to 6.16 tonight. I don't know when the update took place. But sometime during the last couple of days. While watching a recording of CSI tomight, I noticed many audio dropouts that seemed to affect the music track only. Perhaps it was glitching the voice track too, I couldn't tell. The recording was made earlier in the evening, we were commercial skipping and recording other shows in the background while we watched CSI. We get the local channels off the sat -- we get nothing OTA. I have noticed some audio glitches before, but since I am unsure when the software update came thru... I can't say for sure which was in the receiver at the time. Our receiver jumped directly from 6.14 to 6.16. The last time I checked the release level was about 3 days ago.

Question: since a cold boot seems necessary when a software upgrade is obtained, why doesn't the unit put up some notice that it is needed? Apparantly, I went several days not knowing.

#48 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:25 PM

Question: since a cold boot seems necessary when a software upgrade is obtained, why doesn't the unit put up some notice that it is needed? Apparantly, I went several days not knowing.

pawn;

The "cold boot" recommendation came from the good folks here at DBSTalk, not E*. They (E*) don't require or ask you to do so... hence problems for some.

The recommendation is indeed prudent ... and that's pretty good enough for me. :grin:
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#49 OFFLINE   Dr. Cool

Dr. Cool

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:17 AM

ViP622 here. Got 6.16 a few days ago. Now I'm having dropouts with HDNet (I didn't have them before with this channel). Watched six episodes of Star Trek Enterprise, and all of them had random dropouts that are not reproducible by rewinding. I had about five audio dropouts per episode (one every eight minutes).
I have never had dropouts with this show or HDNet until now. Based on this initial very bad experience, I'm willing to bet that 6.16 made the dropout problem worse in my case.

#50 OFFLINE   shortspark

shortspark

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:01 AM

I have audio drops on NBC local (OTA), not Dish subscription local. Antenna is plugged in my 622 and the locals appear as Digital Programming, rather than having a description of the show and times playing. This, I understand, is how it works and you only get the local program guide if you subscribe to Dish locals. But back to the audio, my local NBC channel has always had audio drops, no matter what software version I have and the current 6.16 is no different. In fact, I have noticed nothing different in any way whatsoever between how my receiver behaves before or after updates for the last six or seven of them.

#51 OFFLINE   fwampler

fwampler

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:16 AM

Going from l6.14 to l6.16 fixed audio issues on Fox for my vip622. Tnx.
Fred

#52 OFFLINE   w5pny

w5pny

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:00 AM

This past Tuesday my 622 got the 616 firmware. It looked good until
I got to the Smithsonian Channel. That channel now suffers audio
dropouts that last about a tenth of a second three or four times
a tenth of a second apart and this repeats every two or three seconds
continuously. It makes the audio stuttery or gurgly to listen to
and basically makes the Smithsonian Channel unwatchable. Previous
to 616 I've had no particular problem with audio drop outs.

I tried a powerdown reset and that didn't change anything. I can
record the channel and the recording exhibits the dropouts too.

I briefly checked most other HD channels and they seem ok for
audio drop outs, but I didn't spend a long time on each channel.
The Smithsonian Channel suffers this every few seconds.

#53 OFFLINE   w5pny

w5pny

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:45 PM

When I posted about this problem, it had been going on
continuously for at least a day or so (ever since the
first time I watched the Smithsonian Channel
since Monday before the L616 firmware upgrade). At
the same time I posted the problem here, I sent the
same info to dishquality -- that was about 9am MST. Now,
about 11:30am -- the problem seems fixed. Do you
suppose there is a connection? Hopefully this was
just something in the uplink of that channel.
If the problem returns for any length of time, I'll
post again.

#54 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:47 PM

When i read your initial post w5pny that is exactly what I was thinking. Definitely report if you see it happening again.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#55 OFFLINE   dishcustomer722

dishcustomer722

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:18 AM

I live in the Wake Forest/Raleigh, NC area. I got the L6.16 software update. I have to admit, I'm a happy camper so far. The audio dropouts are apparently fixed on my local channels. It's fixed when I playback from DVR recordings and when I pause/resume a channel I'm watching.

However ... I'll have to spend another month or so before I declare 100% satisfaction on this audio dropout issue though. As other people have said, OTHER channels sometimes start having the audio dropout problems once they fix it for the main channels that people have been complaining about. In my case it was ABC and FOX that were the worst before I got the L6.16 software. Hopefully, NBC and CBS will work fine with no audio dropouts.

THANK YOU DISH NETWORK ENGINEERS FOR FIXING THIS PROBLEM WITH AUDIO DROPOUTS !!!!!!!! IT'S BEEN DRIVING US NUTS FOR A FEW MONTHS !!!!

PLEASE KEEP WORKING ON ALL THESE TYPES OF ISSUES ON ALL OF THE CHANNELS ... AUDIO DROPOUTS AND OTHER VIDEO BLIPS, ETC. KEEP ON TESTING ALL YOUR SOFTWARE ALL THE TIME IN REAL WORLD SITUATIONS. LISTEN TO US END USERS ON FORUMS LIKE THIS ONE.

#56 OFFLINE   shortspark

shortspark

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:43 AM

I still get audio drop outs on my NBC local channel. It has been this way for many months and no update has fixed it. Or, the CC problems, mostly on HD HBO.

#57 OFFLINE   CopyChief

CopyChief

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:48 PM

I'm laughing right now. Really I am. But I can't seem to understand this strange message I just received from the Dish Quality e-mail box. Please note this is a box whose name, assigned by Dish, is "Audio-Video Quality"

I wrote to Dish Quality a week or so ago about L616 and how it did not solve audio drop problems on NBC and CBS in the St. Louis DMA. This is the response I received:

The dishquality email box is managed by the Quality Assurance department; we only handle picture quality issues. We have forwarded your concerns to the appropriate department.

Um, really? Then why didn't the four or five other folks who I've corresponded with since early October tell me I'm writing to the wrong e-mail or dealing with the wrong people?

#58 OFFLINE   lukin4u

lukin4u

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:06 AM

i live in st louis and just upgrade from 622 to 722
and i am getting these dropouts alot now
speed, hbo, nbc,cbs, and others
when playing back on dvr
also had complete freeze on 'worst week' twice last night
had to press >> button and it would snap out of it

i thought higher numbers meant better equip. and less problems

nope

#59 OFFLINE   CopyChief

CopyChief

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:25 AM

I have also had the picture freeze issue that requires a rewind to fix. Taken alone, this problem would not be as bad, but since it only happens on programs that exhibit the worst audio drops, it's only adding fuel to the fire.

It probably goes without saying (and I think I've said it before), but these problems make the pending rate increase particularly hard to swallow.

#60 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:25 PM

i live in st louis and just upgrade from 622 to 722
and i am getting these dropouts alot now
speed, hbo, nbc,cbs, and others
when playing back on dvr
also had complete freeze on 'worst week' twice last night
had to press >> button and it would snap out of it

i thought higher numbers meant better equip. and less problems

nope

If you are getting these a lot on national channels and you just swapped receivers, I would suspect you have a installation problem since there are not more widespread reports of these issues.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

spam firewall