Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP HD DVR Audio related Issues - (Post your current audio related issues Here)

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   lukin4u

lukin4u

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:03 PM

If you are getting these a lot on national channels and you just swapped receivers, I would suspect you have a installation problem since there are not more widespread reports of these issues.

could you elaborate on what type of installation problem might cause audio and video problems

lots of people from st louis here

#62 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:58 PM

Some of them can be heat related, signal related, possible a bad 722. Those are some of the issues that quickly come to mind.

The reports from the people in St Louis that I have read have been centered around local channels. What you are reporting in National channels: HBO and speed. That is why I mentioned it and suggested looking deeper into it.

As for the local issues, those are obviously more widespread so really not much I can offer in terms of that issue except to say... Keep details flowing. What I would suggest on the national issues you are seeing is to be specific in your experiences as to frequency, Is it program specific, type of hardware involved etc. More details the better.

Edited by Ron Barry, 22 January 2009 - 11:10 AM.

<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#63 OFFLINE   tpflum

tpflum

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

Several months ago, Dish upgraded my DVR/receiver from the 942 (which never had a problem) to the 722. The good news is I get more HD content. The bad news is I lost HD movies, although I was told that I would keep everything I had plus get the additional HD content. I was using the OTA tuner in the 722 to record local channels while I watched a different local channel using the TV HD tuner. Although I didn't have TV Guide for the local HD channels because I could see no reason to pay for SD local from Dish since I have a great antenna and pick up all the Dayton Ohio and some Cincinnati stations in both HD and SD. Life was great and I had no problems with the 722.

Since analog broadcasting is going to cease soon and I still have several analog only TV's I decided to add the local channel Dish package. They have a new offer that allowed the addition of local channels (SD only) and MAX for only $0.01 more than I was paying. Life was even better.

Now I find lots of problems with the 722. I get HD drop outs on local channels that last for up to a second. When playing back DVR recorded shows, I am experiencing lockups that last a second or two or even three.

I can't tell you exactly when these problems started, only that they seem to be getting worse. I can't tie it to the local channel upgrade but it could be. Originally I thought it was antenna/amplifier problem. Then I started to think I was having a HDD failure but now believe it is software in the 722. I checked the software version and it is 616. I checked the HDD temp and it has been 131 max with an average of 120, which I don't believe to be excessive.

I got so frustrated last evening that I searched and found this blog. Since I am now convinced that it is the 722 and not my antenna/amplifier, I will start collecting data to get a better feeling as to what is happening and when.

#64 OFFLINE   CopyChief

CopyChief

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:49 AM

I noticed something the other night, watching a recording of Sunday's night broadcast of The Mentalist, which is a CBS program. It's on KMOV/Channel 4 here in St. Louis, and this station has been one of the worst for dropouts lately, along with KSDK (NBC)/Channel 5.

During the first commercial break, Channel 4 ran a crawl about the upcoming digital transition. While this crawl was on the screen, I experienced not one dropout. Almost immediately, when the crawl disappeared, the audio drop problems returned with a vengeance. The drops continued throughout the program -- until, in the last commercial break, they ran the crawl message again. Without audio drops, of course.

I'm not sure how running a crawl would affect the actual signal or how it could make a difference -- so this could be a coincidence -- but I did think it was worth adding to the discussion.

I should mention that during last night's LOST premiere, I experienced exactly ZERO audio drops. LOST, of course, is on ABC. Previous to the short-lived but somewhat successful L615, this station had some of the worst audio problems.

#65 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:16 AM

I got so frustrated last evening that I searched and found this blog. Since I am now convinced that it is the 722 and not my antenna/amplifier, I will start collecting data to get a better feeling as to what is happening and when.

First off welcome to DBSTalk tpflum. Yes definitely collect more info. The more the better. I don't recall any other reports from your DMA.

One thing you can do is verify that you are getting a good signal on the Transponder that host yours localls. You can do this by when you are on this channel bring up the DIsh Point screen and watching the signal for a few minutes. See if you have a solid signal or if it is jumping around. That would help rule out a signal issue.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#66 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:26 PM

I noticed something the other night, watching a recording of Sunday's night broadcast of The Mentalist, which is a CBS program. It's on KMOV/Channel 4 here in St. Louis, and this station has been one of the worst for dropouts lately, along with KSDK (NBC)/Channel 5.

During the first commercial break, Channel 4 ran a crawl about the upcoming digital transition. While this crawl was on the screen, I experienced not one dropout. Almost immediately, when the crawl disappeared, the audio drop problems returned with a vengeance. The drops continued throughout the program -- until, in the last commercial break, they ran the crawl message again. Without audio drops, of course.

I'm not sure how running a crawl would affect the actual signal or how it could make a difference -- so this could be a coincidence -- but I did think it was worth adding to the discussion.

I should mention that during last night's LOST premiere, I experienced exactly ZERO audio drops. LOST, of course, is on ABC. Previous to the short-lived but somewhat successful L615, this station had some of the worst audio problems.

I noticed EXACTLY the same observations (every one!) on the same station/time/city. This must be an obvious clue to the root cause.
All I want is a Perfect DVR!

#67 OFFLINE   tpflum

tpflum

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:41 PM

Last evening, I only watched live, OTA HD from the local CBS station. At 9:00 I watched CBS Criminal Minds using the OTA tuner in the 722. I remember 1 instance of signal breakup that lasted for a second.

At 10:00 I recorded NBC Law&Order using the 722 OTA tuner and switched the TV to its tuner to watch CSI:NY. I saw no signal problems using the TV tuner.

Tonight, I expect the situation to be about the same except at 10:00, I plan on recording both an OTA program in HD using the 722 tuner and the USA Burn Notice (HD).

I don't watch any local channel programming provided by Dish on this TV as they only provide SD for the local channels. My wife watches the local SD programming on a bedroom TV and she hasn't complained about any problems. I really don't think we have a signal problem with Dish on any of their satellites.

I have excellent signal from the OTA antenna. The antenna is big and the TV tower is about 16 miles away with no obstructions. I can even receive some Cincinnati HD programming (about 65 miles to downtown Cinti). There is no reason that I should be getting occasional signal breakups when using the 722 OTA HD tuner on local channels.

As long as the networks are broadcasting new programming, I am watching that and recording any conflicting programs for later viewing. Over the holidays, there wasn't much new so that is when I started watching the previously recorded shows and I noticed the playback stutters, signal dropouts, and short term lock ups.

#68 OFFLINE   keiths2112

keiths2112

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:03 PM

I have not been having any audio issues until this update. Recorded Lost
on Wed, watched it Thrs, it was unwatchable due to audio being out of
sync with video. Watched live news Thursday night, same audio
sync problems. So, both recorded and live broadcasts are out of
sync. This seems to be continuous. My TV is now unwatchable. I never
had a problem before.

ViP 722, Raleigh NC, DMA

Is there a way to revert back to 6.14 which I never had issues with?

Is there a way to block these updates, this is terrible.

#69 OFFLINE   Rontero

Rontero

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:28 PM

I'm just checking in to report that I have L616 and so far this is the WORST update for the St Louis area.

So far I have noticed Channel 4 and Channel 5 (CBS and NBC) are terrible. I have audio drop outs almost constantly. Every minute or so. It also introduced video freezing. You have to rewind to unlock the video. Finally, during the audio dropouts, I also get skipping where the show skips 1 or 2 seconds. If I rewind back I can usually see the skipped video.

Does anyone have any suggestions for communicating this through Dish. I dont want to waste my time but I would like to let them know of the problem.

#70 OFFLINE   Rontero

Rontero

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:52 PM

I just got off the phone with Dish. Customer Service connected me to DVR Tech Support. They found an engineering note that was asking for details. The Engineering note said not to replace the DVR since the probem will most likely re-occur. They took down details.

Most importantly, they wanted to know what channels had the problem.

I suggest everyone give them a call and talk to DVR tech support just to keep them informed of what you are experiencing.

#71 OFFLINE   CopyChief

CopyChief

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:00 PM

Yes, NBC and CBS (4 and 5) in St. Louis do seem like they are the worst for the audio drops.

I have been communicating with Dish folks via the dishquality e-mail. I did receive a strange response this week (see an earlier post -- but basically they said it was only for picture issues) but later received an e-mail from a Dish engineer about the problem. I have e-mailed him back but not heard anything. So if you don't have time to sit on hold, this is a good route to use. The address is dishquality@echostar.com.

As with any CSR-type encounter, I've found it works best to give as much info as you can in each e-mail you send -- not necessarily relying on the person to follow the e-mail trail.

#72 OFFLINE   tpflum

tpflum

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:38 PM

On Friday, I watched two USA shows without any problems while recording 2 CBS shows for later viewing. Last evening I watched three off the air 722 recorded shows. The first was CBS show Numbers recorded 1/16/09. I played back without a problem.

The second was NBC's Life that was recorded early in December 08. Twice during the playback, I experienced for lack of a better word, a crash. What happened was a slight video interruption and a very loud, crash or static like noise. Loud is not an overstatement. I have heard that noise before but not for several weeks and it happened before I started making notes of the circumstances and all the recent problems.

Then I watched a NBC Law & Order, also recorded in December. The show would play back for awhile OK, then go into a pause for 1-5 seconds and then continue on without intervention. It happened a dozen times during the show. Several times I saw an error box pop up that stated the signal had been lost and several other times I saw a very short term signal breakup. It was frustrating to say the least.
Toshiba 56HM195
Yamaha RX-V1600
Dish 722, 322

#73 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,204 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:50 PM

ViP622DVR
L6.16

Two weeks with L6.16 ... no problems. Didn't have any with 6.14 or any prior release, either.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#74 OFFLINE   Dr. Cool

Dr. Cool

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:04 AM

ViP622 here. As I reported before, I was having audio dropouts with HDNet after FW 6.16. I called tech support and they went with me over the reset routine, basically collecting information from all info menus, then doing a sat diagnosis (System Info), then a "Check Switch" reset, then a hard reboot, then dowloading the channel programming guide again. It *appears* that the audio dropouts are gone!!! I watched Star Trek Enterprise yesterday after the procedure and had no dropouts, while the norm was to have about at least six during a show.
I hope that the fix is permanent. Had no dropouts for 24 hours now.

#75 OFFLINE   tpflum

tpflum

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:44 PM

I have had continuing problems with both off the air recorded programs and off the air live broadcasts using the 722 built in tuner.

Tonight, I tried to watch NBC nightly news. It was a disaster. Several dozen times the show would freeze or the signal would break up. I tried the pause button and once actually got into the pause mode and it showed that I was already 5 minutes behind live time but I had not paused it myself. The show was almost unwatchable and I missed a lot of content. Once, when it came back alive after a lock up, it started back at the beginning of the show.

I called Dish after the show and the rep had me go into a diagnostic page of the menu. He determined that the hard drive was failing so they are sending me a replacement receiver. I don't know why a failing hard drive would cause the signal breakup problem but it certainly would explain the lockups on DVR playback.

One last weird symptom that I experienced last evening, was a several second (not an exaggeration) out of sync condition between the sound and picture. It started after a lockup while watching a recorded show. I was able to resync by hitting the pause button.
Toshiba 56HM195
Yamaha RX-V1600
Dish 722, 322

#76 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:47 PM

I have not been having any audio issues until this update. Recorded Lost
on Wed, watched it Thrs, it was unwatchable due to audio being out of
sync with video. Watched live news Thursday night, same audio
sync problems. So, both recorded and live broadcasts are out of
sync. This seems to be continuous. My TV is now unwatchable. I never
had a problem before.

ViP 722, Raleigh NC, DMA

Is there a way to revert back to 6.14 which I never had issues with?

Is there a way to block these updates, this is terrible.

No there is no way to revert or block the updates.. Couple of questions... You mention two shows. What channels are you seeing this on? Is it your Dish HD locals or are you seeing this on OTA locals? Are you seeing these issues with any national HD channels?

#77 OFFLINE   buzzcut

buzzcut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

i have a 622 connected via 6' hdmi cable to a Samsung 46" LCD.

a while ago, i noticed i had to adjust the sound on my 'locals' to a higher level (24-26)---when i switch back to an HD channel, or SD channel, i have to adjust the volume to a lower level (say around 14-18). just kinda accepted that---no big deal.

ok, last night, i was surprised i had to turn the volume up on my 'locals'---all the way up into the 40's (around 44) when i wanted to catch some of the news. i forgot i had to have it so high and switched back to the HD basketball game and about blew my ears out!!! so, now i have to remember i have the 'local' volume way up and to turn the volume way down before i switch back to HD or SD channels.

definitely a pain in the ***!!!

i would take it the way it was before---not such a huge audio variance!

Edited by buzzcut, 29 January 2009 - 01:27 PM.

#78 OFFLINE   tpflum

tpflum

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:11 PM

As I await a replacement 722, I am still using the one with problems. Last evening, I was watching the local FOX channel using the OTA tuner and paused it for 10 minutes. When I started watching again, several times the DVR locked up for several seconds. Within 10 minutes it locked up and after several minutes I gave up and switched over to the TV tuner. When I checked back 30 minutes later, it was still locked up displaying the same picture.

I rebooted the 722 and it came back alive. I did not use the pause function again. I did however view the rest of a recorded show without problem. I still have 17 hours of recorded HD content to view before I have to install the new 722.

With regards to volume problems, I experience them all the time. I think the problem is caused by the providers. When I switch between the 722 tuner and the TV tuner for an OTA program, I notice some volume difference, but it is not significant. Commercials sometimes seem to be twice as loud as program content. From station to station, both OTA and satellite, I notice large differences at times. I wish they would get their act together and all broadcast the same audio level.
Toshiba 56HM195
Yamaha RX-V1600
Dish 722, 322

#79 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:27 PM

i have a 622 connected via 6' hdmi cable to a Samsung 46" LCD.

a while ago, i noticed i had to adjust the sound on my 'locals' to a higher level (24-26)---when i switch back to an HD channel, or SD channel, i have to adjust the volume to a lower level (say around 14-18). just kinda accepted that---no big deal.

ok, last night, i was surprised i had to turn the volume up on my 'locals'---all the way up into the 40's (around 44) when i wanted to catch some of the news. i forgot i had to have it so high and switched back to the HD basketball game and about blew my ears out!!! so, now i have to remember i have the 'local' volume way up and to turn the volume way down before i switch back to HD or SD channels.

definitely a pain in the ***!!!

i would take it the way it was before---not such a huge audio variance!

if you are connected receiver to TV, you might want to change to PCM only and see if that helps your audio difference. I would not recommend this if this is a receiver in a Home Theater environment but for a receiver to TV configuration it is a option in my opinion.

#80 OFFLINE   koralis

koralis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:02 PM

6.16 has made audio dropouts much worse for my 622, especially boston ABC OTA during Lost. Bleh.

spam firewall