Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP HD DVR Audio related Issues - (Post your current audio related issues Here)

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:44 PM

6.14 prior with no problems, now with 6.16 I am having the audio drop outs and low volume on OTA locals...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   dccatl

dccatl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

What exactly are the audio issues that are being reported here? I have 2 722's both on 6.16, both connected to the TV's via HDMI (audio from the TV) and never noticed any audio problems up to about a week ago. Now on one of the receivers the audio will frequently disappear, form what I've noticed it's only when changing channels. Sometimes swapping to the other tuner and back will restore it, sometimes pausing live TV will stop it and almost always turning the TV (LG 42 LB5D) off and back on will restore the audio. I don't think (but can't be certain) that the audio has ever disappeared while just watching a channel. I do have an OTA antenna connected and do subscribe to my locals.

Is this the behavior that this thread is referring to or another issue?

#83 OFFLINE   CopyChief

CopyChief

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:22 PM

The issue we're talking about is completely different from what you have described. It seems as if it is mostly confined to satellite HD locals in certain DMAs (especially St. Louis -- that's where I am), although some have reported audio issues on some other stations, too. The drops occur when watching a program either from the buffer or a recording, not live. It's almost like trying to have a conversation on a cell phone when your signal fluctuates -- words or syllables drop out unpredictably, yet fairly constantly during a program.

#84 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:32 AM

The issue we're talking about is completely different from what you have described. It seems as if it is mostly confined to satellite HD locals in certain DMAs (especially St. Louis -- that's where I am), although some have reported audio issues on some other stations, too. The drops occur when watching a program either from the buffer or a recording, not live. It's almost like trying to have a conversation on a cell phone when your signal fluctuates -- words or syllables drop out unpredictably, yet fairly constantly during a program.

Perfect description from another STL sufferer :(
All I want is a Perfect DVR!

#85 OFFLINE   buzzcut

buzzcut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:48 AM

in my area, i have not noticed your stated situation---i just have a severe audio difference between the sub channels and locals (locals cranked up to around 44 on my tv scale---then, need to turn it down to around 16 for sub channels).

i had an acquaintance tell me that her friend was mentioning having the same problem---although, she has no idea what the situation is. i told him to relay the message.

#86 OFFLINE   dccatl

dccatl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:24 AM

OK, thanks. I reset (unplugged) the one receiver last night and didn't notice any problems afterward. Maybe I got lucky. In any case thanks again for the info.

#87 OFFLINE   hokie-dk

hokie-dk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:55 PM

Watching basketball on local WUPV when sound disappeared. I can backup to any point in the broadcast and the audio is fine. If I go to live, the audio disappears again, but my audio receiver still shows an active audio stream. It's only happening on this one station. Right now, I'm watching with about a five second delay, and it's perfect.
ViP622 - Software: L635 - Single Mode HDTV - Sony KDF-E60A20 using component connection through Sony Receiver: HT-6900DP
ViP722k - Software: L685 - Dual Mode HDTV - Sony KVL-46W5100 using component connection & SDTV- Sony KV27FV300
DP1000 Antenna

#88 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,413 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:26 AM

Here is my latest email sent to specific individuals with Dish Quality and Echostar Engineering along with copies to Tech Support and ceo@ in the chain of emails that goes back to last Summer:

As I indicated to everyone in the January 9, 2009, email below, I am reporting in after having had several weeks of new recorded programming on all the local stations using the L6.16 update on our ViP722 and also comparing where possible recordings on our ViP612.

If one assumes that the original problem with the San Francisco Bay Area HD locals programming recorded from the satellite feeds was the playback repeatable syllable-changing audio dropout that caused the dolby on our A/V receiver to turn off/on on Fox and ABC, that particular dropout which made many shows unwatchable is gone.

Now all we have audio dropouts from all four locals that are not always repeatable, do not move when they are, and mostly do not cause the dolby to switch off/on. They are less frequent then the previous problem. These instantaneous dropouts do occasionally occur on cable channels, even premiums. Much of the time you really have to listen for them, but sometimes they can be annoyingly obvious.

I must admit that I am still puzzled over what it was that created the problem at the beginning of last summer. Prior to that time, the problem did not exist. The code prior to that time must still exist somewhere and for the life of me, I cannot figure out why it isn't in use today. L6.16 is tolerable, but not as good.

With that said, now it's time to take up the ViP612 with L6.02. It has always had the dropouts from the locals, but more like they are now on the 722. Also, the 612 has frequent audio/video dropout/freeze problems with recording from all channels which has been reported by many on DBSTalk's forums. Whatever you did to fix the problem on the 722 might, if applied to the 612, improve it's general performance. Frankly, if our 612 were our only experience with Dish Network High-Def, we would be very unhappy customers. Since it is about due for a software update to resolve it's various bugs, I'll wait to see what happens.

Sincerely,

[ME]

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#89 OFFLINE   Dario33

Dario33

Godfather

• Registered
  • 486 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:35 AM

Guys,

While not an audio drop-out issue, I've recently noticed a metallic-echo sound sometimes during dialogue. It's a recent issue -- close to when L6.16 was rolled-out. The issue is kind of hard to describe, but it's as if someone is speaking from a room with a metallic-like echo. Issue comes and goes and does not appear to be specific to any channel. VIP722 connected to Panny Viera via HDMI.

#90 OFFLINE   CopyChief

CopyChief

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:16 PM

I have been exchanging e-mails with someone at Dish over this issue, and have been assured that Dish engineers are "very aware" of the audio-drop problem and that a fix is in the works. It was characterized as a "very large" update and that testing may take some time. I will reserve any editorial comment or refrain from using words like "soon" -- but this is somewhat encouraging.

I watched yesterday's Super Bowl on delay and did not experience any dropouts during the live broadcast, but during the national commercials, they were quite evident. A while back -- I think it was in this thread -- someone suggested this could come from content originating in film, which is 24fps. This certainly seems to hold true in this case and may be a clue as to the root cause.

I have shared this with the folks at Dish in hopes that, with more information, a solution will arrive much sooner.

#91 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:30 PM

........I watched yesterday's Super Bowl on delay and did not experience any dropouts during the live broadcast, but during the national commercials, they were quite evident. A while back -- I think it was in this thread -- someone suggested this could come from content originating in film, which is 24fps. This certainly seems to hold true in this case and may be a clue as to the root cause-------------------

This issue seems to manifest itself slightly differently in various markets. But here in St. Louis, it is absolutely a film (or 24fps) issue. In fact, while the Superbowl itself was pretty much flawless, the audio drops were very frequent during commercials and other filmed events.

The SuperBowl pre-game show took up most of the day on NBC and I caught much of it. Throughout the day, the drops would appear when filmed human-interest stories and/or commercials played whenever I was viewing a buffered event. Go to LIVE and the drops would vanish.
All I want is a Perfect DVR!

#92 ONLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:51 PM

Had an interesting event this morning, although I'm not so sure it's related to L6.16.

As I usually do every morning, I went to the Interactive Weather screen. While I was navigating towards the Weather Channel app, I suddenly lost audio altogether. I was able to freely return to live TV but the audio outage continued no matter what channel I went to.

I figured a soft reboot would take care of it, but my wife was recording an LMN movie at the time. So I went to My Recordings and told the DVR to View the recording in progress, I was surprised to hear clear uninterrupted audio on the movie being recorded. I again changed channels, and again lost all audio on live TV.

I waited until my wife's movie had finished recording and performed a soft (held the Power button down) reboot. As expected, all audio returned.

I don't think it's related to L6.16 since it's not the first time my 622 has glitched while in the Interactive mode. It did it during L6.14 and earlier releases. Nonetheless, I thought I'd report it here in case someone else has had that experience.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#93 OFFLINE   lukin4u

lukin4u

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:23 PM

i knew better than to watch superbowl on dely cause it is really bad @ my house

no problems live of course, but we rewinded a little to watch a commerical and sure enough the '1sec mutes' came back
cbs and nbc and pbs (39) are the worst for me

it is getting worse in my opinion

my 622 didnt do this but the 722 =all the time

#94 OFFLINE   laterno

laterno

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:33 PM

Hello, I too am in St. Louis and I have been following this thread because I too have been having major audio drops while playing back HD shows on CBS and NBC. It seems to be getting worse and I cannot stand it! I finally called E* to complain and they sent a tech out free of charge. I knew this would not solve anything and you can guess their solution - swap out my 722 receiver. I told them no, because 1) I have too many things recorded and don't want to lose them and 2) from reading here it is an update issue and not a hardware issue.

They did however give me next month's HD service for free, so at least they are trying to make up for the problem. I hope this issue is resolved soon because shows on these stations are almost unwatchable!

Waiting intently....Lee

#95 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:31 PM

I've noted issues on toon-hd, several drops out during 30 min star wars episode. Re-recorded the rerun of the episode the next day, drop outs persisted, but cannot say whether they occurred in the same spots in the show.
Norm

#96 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:03 PM

There was a Star Wars episode last week that had some real funky audio issues. Center channel audio appearing in the rear channels. I believe it was source related.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#97 Guest_shinji257_*

Guest_shinji257_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:30 PM

I have a ViP622 unit with L6.16 software on it. I have noticed audio dropouts on Cartoon Network HD lately. I only watch recorded programming from that station however the dropouts are reproducable. It will either produce as a sudden static burst then loss of audio for a few seconds or it may do the same but without the static burst. I know it happens because my receiver's DD indicator goes off. Per someone else's suggestion I did a cold boot. I only did that after noting at least one spot where it dropped audio. It still did it after the cold boot so the recording definitely contains the dropout in it. I'll check future recordings from that station to see if it continues.

#98 OFFLINE   KWarner

KWarner

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:31 PM

Hello,

I am in St. Louis too. I have the same audio problems that everyone else is having with "drop outs". After the software update it switched from Fox and ABC to NBC and CBS. Fox and ABC are fine now. I wanted to let everyone know that I complained to a CSR strongly, but appropriately and got my locals free for 6 months. I suggest others try this. My question is: What is the e-mail address for audio/video issues? I can't find it and want to talk with someone a little more in the know than the CSR's.

Thanks

#99 Guest_shinji257_*

Guest_shinji257_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:40 PM

I have a ViP622 unit with L6.16 software on it. I have noticed audio dropouts on Cartoon Network HD lately. I only watch recorded programming from that station however the dropouts are reproducable. It will either produce as a sudden static burst then loss of audio for a few seconds or it may do the same but without the static burst. I know it happens because my receiver's DD indicator goes off. Per someone else's suggestion I did a cold boot. I only did that after noting at least one spot where it dropped audio. It still did it after the cold boot so the recording definitely contains the dropout in it. I'll check future recordings from that station to see if it continues.

Heh. Of course it continued to happen. I will give them a ring and see if something can't be worked out. Just glad to see I'm not alone on this. I am leasing my unit from them so if I have to get it replaced then so be it.

#100 OFFLINE   CopyChief

CopyChief

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:06 PM

Hello,

I am in St. Louis too. I have the same audio problems that everyone else is having with "drop outs". After the software update it switched from Fox and ABC to NBC and CBS. Fox and ABC are fine now. I wanted to let everyone know that I complained to a CSR strongly, but appropriately and got my locals free for 6 months. I suggest others try this. My question is: What is the e-mail address for audio/video issues? I can't find it and want to talk with someone a little more in the know than the CSR's.

Thanks

The e-mail address I've used is dishquality@echostar.com. I can't say that I have had any great results with this, although I have been corresponding with someone from the tech/engineering operations side rather than a CSR, so I feel like I'm getting a more accurate story than I would otherwise. I send him an e-mail about every two weeks to check up, and he's usually very prompt in getting back to me, even with a "We're still testing a fix" message.

And that's the message I'm getting now -- they're still testing a fix, and it's a very large update so there's a lot of testing to be done.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...