Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP HD DVR Audio related Issues - (Post your current audio related issues Here)

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Dr. Cool

Dr. Cool

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:14 AM

After some additional testing, it's clear now that the latest firmware updates didn't solve my dropout problems. In reality, I'm now noticing them in more channels than before. I'm noticing them not only with PBS but also with FOX local OTA. I'm also noticing them with most Dish HD movie channels. Again, dropouts are not common but happen with noticeable frequency. They are random and not repeatable by rewinding. They happen over analog and optical connections. I've never noticed them with live shows, so I believe they're DVR related. Some shows are more prone to produce dropouts than others.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:12 AM

I have worse dropouts now with 616 than I had before too. The worse affected channels seem to be Fox and NBC.

#103 OFFLINE   Dood

Dood

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:34 AM

I will do my best to temper my total anger with Dish Network. The audio problems I have are so bad that it is almost impossible to watch my TV any more.

I live in St. Louis. I have the VIP-722. I have a HD setup and filter my sound via optical through a receiver. I have software version L617.

Shows recorded on ABC, CBS and NBC in HD are unwatchable because of the software issues.

Shows paused and then watched are unwatchable as well.

I was told on this forum months ago a fix was right around the corner and to be patient. So here we are many months deep into the SAME problem and ..... Nothing has been done.

Why do I have to pay for such poor service? Why will they not credit my account because THEY have the problem and THEY are feeding it to me?

Why, when I call to complain, am I told they have never heard of this issue? Are the CSR's told to lie, or are they really clueless?

Like I said, I am locked into a contract and being delivered terrible service. Why should I live up to my end of the contract if they can't?

Someone here please explain this madness.
Dood-

#104 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:35 AM

Dood, I feel your pain and cannot make any excuses for how long it has taken E* to resolve this issue....way too long IMHO. I've essentially learned to live with it by recording shows on the affected channels via OTA. Not a fix, but a good workaround if you have an decent OTA antenna.

What strikes me most about your note is the mention of audio issues on ABC. Here in St. Louis, the problem (as reported by a few, including me) seems pretty much limited to the local CBS and NBC affiliates (1080i channels) since introduction of Rel L6.16. I'll also bet you see it occur more often when the video source is film rather than tape or live. If ABC is giving you fits, I must wonder if something else is possibly going on with your receiver. ABC and Fox cleared up completely with L6.16 but then CBS and NBC caught the "disease".
All I want is a Perfect DVR!

#105 OFFLINE   Dood

Dood

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:26 AM

Dood, I feel your pain and cannot make any excuses for how long it has taken E* to resolve this issue....way too long IMHO. I've essentially learned to live with it by recording shows on the affected channels via OTA. Not a fix, but a good workaround if you have an decent OTA antenna.

What strikes me most about your note is the mention of audio issues on ABC. Here in St. Louis, the problem (as reported by a few, including me) seems pretty much limited to the local CBS and NBC affiliates (1080i channels) since introduction of Rel L6.16. I'll also bet you see it occur more often when the video source is film rather than tape or live. If ABC is giving you fits, I must wonder if something else is possibly going on with your receiver. ABC and Fox cleared up completely with L6.16 but then CBS and NBC caught the "disease".

I do stand corrected, as the majority of the problems are on CBS-HD and to a lesser degree NBC-HD.

I live far enough from STL that OTA channels are not an option without an outdoor antenna. The problem is so bad that I will go back to DirecTv when my contract is up.
Dood-

#106 OFFLINE   CopyChief

CopyChief

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:46 PM

The thing about the audio drops problem I don't understand is how it can be a box-level software patch problem when the issue only seems to be in certain DMAs (St. Louis, especially)? If it were truly a software problem as Dish techs say, wouldn't it be affecting a wider range of users?

It seems to be there is a problem with the St. Louis uplink.

I would think, too that if Dish is truly just "passing on the signal" then it should be relatively blind to resolution or framerate-specific content, right? I just don't understand why crawls or local commercial insertions or 24 vs 30fps should make any difference in what Dish is delivering to my receiver in my specific DMA.

Like I said, if it were a wider decoding or software problem, wouldn't the problem be more widespread and show up on more channels than just the HD locals?

Sheesh. Just when you think you start to understand this technology...

#107 OFFLINE   Dr. Cool

Dr. Cool

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:40 AM

Well, I don't live in St. Louis. I live in Northern Minnesota, and I have the problem with many HD channels, OTA or Dish provided. The problem *does not* come from the source and is not a signal quality problem. Live audio is not affected and SD programming is not affected. Only HD recorded audio is affected, and it's random and never repeats on the same spot when I rewind, although it may reappear on another spot. I have to rule out everything else except for a software or hardware DVR-related problem.

#108 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:14 AM

Why do you have to rule everything else except the DVR Dr. Cool. The audio problems that are currently being discussed are mainly centered around locals and right now it appears to me that St. Louis DMA is ground zero.

If you are seeing it across all HD channels I would suspect something very unique to your configuration because that is not what the threads here are indicating. If audio issues move into the nationals channels this has a much higher exposure across the user base here so I would expect a lot more reports which I have not seen.

How often are you running into these audio issues? (How many times a day do you hear them). Is there a particular national channel you hear them on?

I definitely agree with the following.

1) Audio issues are not repeatable when you jump back so that tends to lend itself to the fact it is not stream related.
2) Seeing audio issues both local and national so that tells me that it is not a local DMA issue.

But I personally would not conclude that the issue lies in the receiver from there. for the following other pieces of info.

1) It is occurring with both MPEG2 and MPEG4 streams.
2) There are not others in large quantities reporting the same experiences.

Not sure what you are running into Dr. Cool, but I definitely think it is different from what the St. Louis group is experiencing and I personally I would not declare the issue software related.

Wonder if there is anyone else in Minnesota that can report their experiences....

Lets see if we can confirm the audio issue. Is their a particular program you record where it happens 100% of the time?
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#109 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:20 AM

The thing about the audio drops problem I don't understand is how it can be a box-level software patch problem when the issue only seems to be in certain DMAs (St. Louis, especially)? If it were truly a software problem as Dish techs say, wouldn't it be affecting a wider range of users?

It seems to be there is a problem with the St. Louis uplink.

I would think, too that if Dish is truly just "passing on the signal" then it should be relatively blind to resolution or framerate-specific content, right? I just don't understand why crawls or local commercial insertions or 24 vs 30fps should make any difference in what Dish is delivering to my receiver in my specific DMA.

Like I said, if it were a wider decoding or software problem, wouldn't the problem be more widespread and show up on more channels than just the HD locals?

Sheesh. Just when you think you start to understand this technology...

Remember... We had an audio fix in the receiver that did help a number of DMAs... Not everyone was effect by the issue so it definitely does happen.

My guess is there is all sorts of different technologies on the producing and sending side of the equation with all sorts of different configurations.

The St. Louis one is sending something in the stream that the receiver is not handling properly. You can fix it at the producing end or the receiving end. Guess based on the reports the determined the fix should be on the receiving end.

A good analogy would be the PC industry. You may have one set of software (OS) but all sorts of external influence (Drivers etc) and those influence play a part in the end user experience. Some users have no issues while others feel pain.

I hope St. Louis soon will be not feel the pain any more.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#110 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:38 AM

I was told on this forum months ago a fix was right around the corner and to be patient. So here we are many months deep into the SAME problem and ..... Nothing has been done.

Actually there was a fix and it did fix a number of users that was experiencing Audio issues. St. Louis's issue obviously was not the one that they fixed and if you go and read the previous release threads (Audio ones included) you will see a number of posts indicating that the Audio issues being reported my be one defect or multiple ones. Hard to tell at this point because the experiences being reported was ranging from "All good" to "Really bad".

As for being told... I am sure you were told that there was a fix but I don't think anyone indicated that that a fix would address all audio issues people are reporting.

I know that people in St. Louis is feeling pain and I understand that. As for the length of time.. Well given the reports and the history around the issue it is obviously a tough nut to crack. There has been at least one fix pushed to address it and it caught a large percentage of the issues ("Looking at it from a National perspective"), but did not catch all. Someone posted that they were told their is another fix that requires a lot of testing because of the scope of the fix. Is this guaranteed to fix all issues? Nope.. I am sure the people working on it feel it will but since all root causes are not known for the people reporting the issue their is no way to guarantee the fix will address them all (Just like the first one).

All we can do as users here is to be detailed in reporting our findings and experiences and if you get tapped on your shoulder to take a download to check if the fix truly did address the issue to step up if you feel comfortable and help be part of the process.

Should you have to deal with this.. Nope.. but these systems are complex and as such defects do spring up from time to time. The little bit of good news is based on reports from users here is that they are aware of it and do appear to be actively trying to solve the issue rather then declaring it hardware or claiming an external defect out of their control.

#111 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:55 AM

If I may add.......

This issue (in St. Louis) was introduced by a software upgrade. Rel 4.49 did not have this problem. While it could be coincidental, common sense would dictate that the "bug" is somehow related to the new software.

As "fixes" progressed, the problem clearly migrated (again, in St. Louis) from the two 720p HD locals to the two 1080i HD locals where it remains with the current release.

IMHO, a software change introduced this issue and another software change moved the issue to other channels. This should be ample proof that software will eventually resolve the issue in St. Louis.

#112 OFFLINE   Dood

Dood

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:51 AM

Actually there was a fix and it did fix a number of users that was experiencing Audio issues. St. Louis's issue obviously was not the one that they fixed and if you go and read the previous release threads (Audio ones included) you will see a number of posts indicating that the Audio issues being reported my be one defect or multiple ones. Hard to tell at this point because the experiences being reported was ranging from "All good" to "Really bad".

As for being told... I am sure you were told that there was a fix but I don't think anyone indicated that that a fix would address all audio issues people are reporting.

I know that people in St. Louis is feeling pain and I understand that. As for the length of time.. Well given the reports and the history around the issue it is obviously a tough nut to crack. There has been at least one fix pushed to address it and it caught a large percentage of the issues ("Looking at it from a National perspective"), but did not catch all. Someone posted that they were told their is another fix that requires a lot of testing because of the scope of the fix. Is this guaranteed to fix all issues? Nope.. I am sure the people working on it feel it will but since all root causes are not known for the people reporting the issue their is no way to guarantee the fix will address them all (Just like the first one).

All we can do as users here is to be detailed in reporting our findings and experiences and if you get tapped on your shoulder to take a download to check if the fix truly did address the issue to step up if you feel comfortable and help be part of the process.

Should you have to deal with this.. Nope.. but these systems are complex and as such defects do spring up from time to time. The little bit of good news is based on reports from users here is that they are aware of it and do appear to be actively trying to solve the issue rather then declaring it hardware or claiming an external defect out of their control.

I do appreciate your levity, but don't you think that Dish Network should at the very least "own- up" to the issue? Not only have I not received any kind of note via snail mail, when I call and talk to a CSR, they tell me they have never heard of such a problem and tell me to "reboot" the system. I mean isn't that their standard answer for most problems?

Again, why doesn't Dish Network offer some kind of rebate because they are NOT delivering what I am paying for?
Dood-

#113 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:25 AM

Rebooting is step one in most software related issues whether it be a PC or a DVR. Easiest and the least costly.

Based on what I know of Dish CSR system posted here, CSRs are not well versed in all the receivers from a defect perspective. They appear to be able to look things up, but based on my experience of looking up defects as a engineer depending on the reports it is not a easy task to associated something a person is telling you to a particular defect being reported. It would be nice to have more transparency in terms of software fixes, enhancements, and outstanding defects but it just is something that is not common in this sector and though I personally would like to see it I also understand the downside of doing such a policy and understand why a company might not want to do it.

As for Dish proactively informing people of this. Good question, but from my experience I am not aware of any company in this industry that provides any type of proactive notification system regarding software defects. My advice would be to email the CEO office and in a polite stern email, describe the experience you are having, indicate it appears from your research that the problem is software related, and what you feel is fair. My opinion is they should credit back the cost of locals given you locals are not providing what they should be.

#114 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:50 AM

L617 begin spooling for all 622/722 last night. The thread become a history.

#115 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:06 PM

Other than adding L6.17 to the name, this thread should still be viable. L6.17 did not address an audio dropout issue as far as I know.

For the record, on my ViP722 with L6.17 I still have audio dropouts on NBC and CBS locals off the satellite in the Bay Area; just annoying, but still there. It occurs on all four locals on my ViP612 which has not had a software update.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#116 OFFLINE   Dr. Cool

Dr. Cool

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:13 AM

Yes, audio dropouts continue to happen even after a power plug reboot. I just had six of them while watching "Judgment at Nuremberg" recorded from HDNet Movies. Those are the same random dropouts that I've been having since FW 4 or 5, brief and not repeatable by rewinding. It means that nothing appears to have changed since the first FW upgrade that created the problem.

#117 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:44 AM

Other than adding L6.17 to the name, this thread should still be viable. L6.17 did not address an audio dropout issue as far as I know.

For the record, on my ViP722 with L6.17 I still have audio dropouts on NBC and CBS locals off the satellite in the Bay Area; just annoying, but still there. It occurs on all four locals on my ViP612 which has not had a software update.

A huge DITTO for St. Louis as well. Sooner or later this will be fixed, but an update or attempt at a fix sure would be nice. :bang

#118 OFFLINE   CopyChief

CopyChief

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:06 AM

If I may add.......

This issue (in St. Louis) was introduced by a software upgrade. Rel 4.49 did not have this problem. While it could be coincidental, common sense would dictate that the "bug" is somehow related to the new software.

That's an interesting point, and I hadn't looked at it that way, that software introduced the problem so hopefully software can fix it. I hope this is, indeed, the case.

I'm still struggling to understand what it could be that is different about the St. Louis local situation that is causing so much trouble. Moreover I'd be interested to know if there are any folks in St. Louis NOT experiencing the issue with their HD (sat) locals.

I wouldn't say that the dropout problem ever "migrated." Before L616 (or was it 615?), I had dropouts on ALL local HD satellite stations, not just 720p FOX and ABC. The release did fix audio problems on ABC&FOX.

Believe me, I'd like nothing more than to be able to close the book on this little chapter of Dish annoyances. But for now, this thread definitely needs to stay open. If there's concern about an older firmware version being mentioned in a current thread, I wonder if we should spin off St. Louis HD local issues to its own discussion, so other issues affecting other stations can be address separately, since they seem to be separate issues?

#119 OFFLINE   Dr. Cool

Dr. Cool

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:40 AM

You see, some have suggested that the problem could be due to a hardware defect or overheating of my ViP622.
I'll repeat: this is clearly not the case. As we all know very well, the problem started with a firmware upgrade. My ViP622 was perfect for almost a year before the dropouts started. And above all the dropouts happen only with *some channels* or *some shows*, and only in HD. Examples: *I've never had dropouts* with many HD shows such as "The Sopranos" on A&E. Never. Not even one. Watched almost the entire "The Sopranos" series on HD (it's Dolby Digital 2.0), through many different FW versions, and never had even one dropout.
On the other hand, I have dropouts *every time* with PBS OTA shows such as "NOVA" (Dolby Digital 2.0) and with many HDNet movies (mostly Dolby Digital 5.1) and also with shows such as "Enterprise" (this one started having dropouts after one of the latest FW upgrades, it's Dolby Digital 5.1).
Some have also suggested the problem is not widespread. I doubt it's true for a simple reason: people like my wife don't notice it. She's not an audiophile and therefore she doesn't tune in when the sound goes out for less than a second, like I do.

#120 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:53 AM

Believe me, I'd like nothing more than to be able to close the book on this little chapter of Dish annoyances. But for now, this thread definitely needs to stay open. If there's concern about an older firmware version being mentioned in a current thread, I wonder if we should spin off St. Louis HD local issues to its own discussion, so other issues affecting other stations can be address separately, since they seem to be separate issues?

Nope.. what I will do is add the L6.17 to the thread in addition to L6.16 to indicate folks are still dealing with some issues.

Based on some other posts.. We still may be dealing with multiple issues here.

spam firewall