Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP HD DVR Audio related Issues - (Post your current audio related issues Here)

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:12 AM

I am still having the same audio dropout issues I have always had, starting with 6.14 and now with 6.16. They are very similar to Dr. Cool's issues. I also watch a lot of recorded material from HDNet, MGM, EncoreHD, but get them live also. Very short audible dropouts on both national and local OTA channels. I am using HDMI for video to TV and optical out for audio to AV receiver all the time.

It was very noticeable on my local Fox channel last night. Trying to watch the news and sometimes it was difficult to understand because the audio dropouts will obliterate a word here and there. I have seen no change in dropout behavior with any update.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:43 AM

I am still having the same audio dropout issues I have always had, starting with 6.14 and now with 6.16. They are very similar to Dr. Cool's issues. I also watch a lot of recorded material from HDNet, MGM, EncoreHD, but get them live also. Very short audible dropouts on both national and local OTA channels. I am using HDMI for video to TV and optical out for audio to AV receiver all the time.

It was very noticeable on my local Fox channel last night. Trying to watch the news and sometimes it was difficult to understand because the audio dropouts will obliterate a word here and there. I have seen no change in dropout behavior with any update.

Are you located in the Detroit DMA and locked onto the 118 sat? That might point to a common cause. If so, we may have to wait for E* to move us onto the 129 bird, which is in the cards anyway. But no clue as to when.

I don't know if such a move will change anything but it would clearly eliminate a variable.
All I want is a Perfect DVR!

#143 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:43 PM

Oh, if only it was true. After Dood's report, I thought I would check on tonite's episodes of Ghost Whisperer and Numb3rs on the local CBS afilliate........Audio dropouts all over the place. No change. Zero drops in real time. But hit the PAUSE button for a few seconds or SKIP BACK and I'm hearing several per minute. It's non-stop. Hit the LIVE button and they vanish!

Thanks for the feedback moman.. Would have shocked me but was hoping it to be true.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#144 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:35 PM

I am in the Lansing Michigan DMA, my satellites are 110/119 and 61.5. Which satellite I see should have no bearing on my OTA through the 722, which I also have dropouts on. I believe it is some sort of audio processing problem in the 722. I get the dropouts on pretty much all the HD channels I watch, OTA and Satellite. I may get them on SD channels too except I don't watch those often enough to notice.

#145 OFFLINE   CopyChief

CopyChief

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:48 PM

I can confirm that I still have the drops, too, in St. Louis. Not much appears to have changed.

For what it's worth, this week I wrote to both local stations affected by the problems, and they said they are aware of the issue and are "pressuring" Dish to fix the problems.

I know a lot of their customers have been "pressuring" Dish, too, and we see how far that has gotten us since October, so I'm not feeling especially hopeful on this day.

#146 OFFLINE   Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

I only had the FOX/ABC dropout problem to a slight degree before. But overall dropouts got worse with 616. I now have 617, and I think things are much improved !!

#147 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,121 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:28 AM

I only had the FOX/ABC dropout problem to a slight degree before. But overall dropouts got worse with 616. I now have 617, and I think things are much improved !!

Do you have a 622 or 722?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#148 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:19 AM

I am in the Lansing Michigan DMA, my satellites are 110/119 and 61.5. Which satellite I see should have no bearing on my OTA through the 722, which I also have dropouts on. I believe it is some sort of audio processing problem in the 722. I get the dropouts on pretty much all the HD channels I watch, OTA and Satellite. I may get them on SD channels too except I don't watch those often enough to notice.

I must have missed the fact that your issues are from OTA channels. That's probably unrelated to this discussion as I believe most reports in this particular thread point towards the locals via sat. But then again, I have no doubt that your issue is very real and perhaps there is a common cause.

#149 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:20 AM

Great question. I look forward to hearing his response. In my case, only the 722 has this issue.

#150 OFFLINE   Dood

Dood

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:04 AM

I was wrong, the problems are now worse than ever.

I just watched Big Bang Theory and counted 588 drops. I then watched Two And A Half Men and counted 444 drops.

As soon as my contract is up I am done with Dish Network. They have not fixed the problem and have done nothing but lie to me.

I see now why DirecTV is gaining so many customers and Dish Network is losing so many.
Dood-

#151 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:12 AM

I just watched Big Bang Theory and counted 588 drops. I then watched Two And A Half Men and counted 444 drops.

You're telling me you actually sat there watching counted up that high? Wow man, just saying "constant dropouts" would have been just as effective.

Next time I suggest watching the show, not counting over 1000 dropouts. :rolleyes:
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#152 OFFLINE   vader22

vader22

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

I can confirm that I still have the drops, too, in St. Louis. Not much appears to have changed.

For what it's worth, this week I wrote to both local stations affected by the problems, and they said they are aware of the issue and are "pressuring" Dish to fix the problems.

I know a lot of their customers have been "pressuring" Dish, too, and we see how far that has gotten us since October, so I'm not feeling especially hopeful on this day.

What two stations do you have the problem with? For me it is NBC and CBS. It's so bad I can't watch NBC recorded. CBS isn't as bad but it is pretty bad.

#153 OFFLINE   CopyChief

CopyChief

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

Yup, NBC (Ch.5, KSDK) and CBS (Ch.4, KMOV) are the culprits in St. Louis. The shows I watch on CBS haven't been "new" in a few weeks, but typically the drops have been pretty evenly distributed between the two. But I do agree that NBC is bordering on unwatchable.

Honestly, I'm quickly losing patience with this issue. Ok, to say "quickly" is not accurate, since I've been dealing with this problem since at least October, and have been talking about it here almost since then.

Yes, Dish has offered me a partial credit, and I appreciate that.

But at this point I just want it to work.

#154 OFFLINE   Dood

Dood

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:44 AM

Yup, NBC (Ch.5, KSDK) and CBS (Ch.4, KMOV) are the culprits in St. Louis. The shows I watch on CBS haven't been "new" in a few weeks, but typically the drops have been pretty evenly distributed between the two. But I do agree that NBC is bordering on unwatchable.

Honestly, I'm quickly losing patience with this issue. Ok, to say "quickly" is not accurate, since I've been dealing with this problem since at least October, and have been talking about it here almost since then.

They have told me over and over that there is no problem. just more proof they lie. Dish Network will soon be a faded bad memory.
Dood-

#155 OFFLINE   Dood

Dood

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:45 AM

You're telling me you actually sat there watching counted up that high? Wow man, just saying "constant dropouts" would have been just as effective.

Next time I suggest watching the show, not counting over 1000 dropouts. :rolleyes:

I did because I wanted to report it here.
Dood-

#156 OFFLINE   vader22

vader22

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:58 AM

How much of a credit? I guess I should contact them and see about that too!

#157 OFFLINE   CopyChief

CopyChief

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:43 PM

They have told me over and over that there is no problem. just more proof they lie. Dish Network will soon be a faded bad memory.

Maybe I'm too trusting, but I think it's a matter of talking to the right people. I really don't think anyone is outright lying, I just believe some folks are better informed than others. That doesn't make it better, I know, nor does it get us any closer to a solution.

Here's my suggestion, if you haven't already: Ask to have your problem escalated so you can talk to the next level of support. And e-mail dishquality@echostart.com. Be very specific outlining the problem at all times and in all contacts. It's a bit tiresome but it has helped me get some results.

No, no -- results probably isn't the right word. Satisfaction. That's more accurate. I say "some" because I'll only be completely satisfied when things work as advertised.

#158 OFFLINE   CopyChief

CopyChief

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:49 PM

How much of a credit? I guess I should contact them and see about that too!

They offered me a credit in the neighborhood of $20, and said it would appear on my next bill. As I said in a previous post I'm satisfied with that gesture. But that sense of satisfaction will only last if I see some real movement on the patch soon.

The last update I received (yesterday) stated that they had written the patch and were testing it internally, and that if it passed those tests they'd release it for beta testing.

They're not giving out any timetables at this point, and as much as I hate not knowing, I don't blame them one bit.

Anyway, I'm hopeful -- both that a solution is in sight, and that my hope is not misplaced.

#159 OFFLINE   Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

#160 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,121 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:49 AM

Hmmm. Well I have a 722 and a 612 an still get dropouts on both. ABC and Fox are much better than they were, but NBC (KNTV) and CBS (KPIX) can get really annoying at times. But then, I got a couple of dropouts the other day on an ABCFamily show.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

spam firewall