Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP HD DVR Audio related Issues - (Post your current audio related issues Here)

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:40 AM

This is something new for me, I officially noticed the "talking under water" audio yesterday. I was watching something recorded on the DVR(Glenn Beck on FoxNewsHD) and it had several instances of really strange audio. This is in addition to my short non-repeatable audio dropouts on ALL HD channels, national or OTA.

I have a 722 connected to TV via HDMI for video only, audio is optical to av receiver. L6.16

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:14 AM

This is something new for me, I officially noticed the "talking under water" audio yesterday. I was watching something recorded on the DVR(Glenn Beck on FoxNewsHD) and it had several instances of really strange audio. This is in addition to my short non-repeatable audio dropouts on ALL HD channels, national or OTA.

I have a 722 connected to TV via HDMI for video only, audio is optical to av receiver. L6.16

I've had the problem occur for awhile now, occasional but irritating. Rarely, but it does happen, the problem is so bad the video locks up. Happens on locals and cable channels, though I have never seen it on premiums. Recordings only and I don't get OTA. And both the 722 and 612.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#163 OFFLINE   Dood

Dood

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:03 AM

I called again today to complain of the problem. Talked to 4 different people and they all told me this is the first time they have heard of the problem.

Can someone here explain that to me? I'd really like to know.

Edited by Ron Barry, 07 March 2009 - 11:29 PM.

Dood-

#164 OFFLINE   DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR

DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:05 AM

Hi all, I've checked in here occasionally, though never posted my symptoms, as they were covered by everyone else. :) Dropouts only on 24fps material (recordings, never watched any live), sometimes accompanied by about a 10 second jump forward (had to skip back once) or a freeze (had to rewind maybe 30 seconds, since it went that much ahead while frozen). I think those 2 things were [mostly] only on the NBC/CBS channels (5/4) though.

Well, sometime between Monday night and Tuesday morning, it seems that our HD locals got new MPEG-4 encoders, as recordings are taking a lot less space since then (my AVS Forum post #8964, item 2).

Awhile after I played Knight Rider from Wed., I began to think I couldn't remember hearing audio dropouts during it (though the local channel is not passing 5.1 now, so figured that might be related, but it's not). Then last night I played Eleventh Hour from CBS and its audio was flawless, which has never happened before! (AVS Forum post #8966)

Now since then I played a little bit of the second half of Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles (first half was OTA because of conflict), and it was also fine -- I'm sure I also had drops on Fox shows. And just now checked the beginning of Life on Mars on ABC, which was glitch-free.

So each channel/network seems to be doing well! :hurah:

Did any other markets notice smaller recordings suggesting new encoders? :grin: I would assume some newer markets have had the same types of encoders as national channels (more efficient) all along. I don't know which or how many DMAs had this problem, but maybe that's what they have in common.

#165 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:29 AM

.....Well, sometime between Monday night and Tuesday morning, it seems that our HD locals got new MPEG-4 encoders, as recordings are taking a lot less space.......

I agree. Something has changed. I have not had much time to fully review recorded events but preliminary scanning of 24fps events recently captured on CBS and NBC do seem to be dropout free! This is great news if no other channels are adversely affected. You may recall that this issue first appeared (in St. Louis, anyway) on the local 720p channels. When they were cured via a software update the issue migrated to the 1080i locals.

Hence, it's a genuine fix as long as it doesn't pop up somewhere else. So far, so good.......:joy:
All I want is a Perfect DVR!

#166 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:37 AM

I called again today to complain of the problem. Talked to 4 different people and they all told me this is the first time they have heard of the problem.

Can someone here explain that to me? I'd really like to know.

It does not surprise me that the customer care folks would be clueless. Who knows what country the first line is sitting in?

All that aside, check your CBS and NBC locals. I think the problem has been finally resolved in the past few days. Dropouts appear to have suddenly vanished (in my house, anyway) and there is speculation on the Forums that encoders have been swapped, upgraded or tweaked.

Let us know what you find. The feedback can only help.

Edited by Ron Barry, 07 March 2009 - 11:30 PM.

#167 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:42 AM

Message to Copy Chief & Vader:

You guys are also in St. Louis, like me. Please check recent recordings on KSDK and KMOV. I think the dropout issue is FIXED and am looking for other eyeballs to confirm that it's not just me.

#168 OFFLINE   Dood

Dood

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:31 PM

You guys are also in St. Louis, like me. Please check recent recordings on KSDK and KMOV. I think the dropout issue is FIXED and am looking for other eyeballs to confirm that it's not just me.

Mine is just as bad, if not worse, how is that possible?
Dood-

#169 OFFLINE   CopyChief

CopyChief

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:10 PM

Well, my eyeballs can't confirm anything about audio :)... but I did watch Thursday's 30 Rock on KSDK (5, NBC) and it was dropout-free. I have also noticed that KSDK, for whatever reason, is not passing 5.1 -- sometimes it seems like they forget to flip a switch or something.

KMOV, CBS (4) is passing 5.1, but when I watched tonight they were running 48 hours, which was not a film/24fps event so likely would not have had the drops, so I didn't test it.

I'll try to run a more comprehensive test tomorrow night. But for now... dance of joy! Woo hoo! Tentative dance of tentative joy, yes... but dancing nonetheless!

To Dood -- make sure the events you're testing were recorded in the past couple of days. If you're continuing to have dropouts and if the dropouts are on any other channels, you may have another issue... just what you want to hear, I know.

#170 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:48 PM

Does sound like some promising news... Keep the reports coming in guys over the next few days. Both positive and negative. Boy this will be a shock given the issue was always thought to be receiver based.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#171 OFFLINE   Dr. Cool

Dr. Cool

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:28 AM

Dropouts continue with recorded programming. More common on MGM HD and HDNET Movies, over satellite. Less common on FOX and PBS OTA, yet they're there. No dropouts with most other channels. No dropouts while watching live.
Took ViP622 out of the cabinet, gave it plenty of air. Nothing changed. Dropouts continued.
Disconnected HDMI cable, used optical audio and component video only. Nothing changed. Dropouts continued.

#172 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:30 AM

I had numerous dropouts from our satellite local NBC station on "Knight Rider" this week. It was a recorded show I watched last night. I've watched other NBC shows with no dropouts but I can't remember whether they were local OTA or local satellite.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#173 OFFLINE   vader22

vader22

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:10 PM

I watched Thursday night's Office last night and it was flawless. Most of my CBS and NBC shows are on Monday so I'll check again tomorrow night and report back.

#174 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:20 PM

Gee, this is good news!

Does sound like some promising news... Keep the reports coming in guys over the next few days. Both positive and negative. Boy this will be a shock given the issue was always thought to be receiver based.

While it did appear that the 622 with L6.16 handled the mpeg decoding fine, I always thought it was how Dish handled the stream between the local station and my boxes since those with OTA said the problem didn't appear on their recordings played back on the same DVR. And it was only in some DMA's.

With that said, moman19 please let the rest of us from other areas know as DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's post indicates that Dish's mpeg encoder has been changed out for St. Louis. If the recordings are substantially smaller and the audio dropout (and perhaps other glitches) are gone, yippee! But the rest of us will have to start lobbying to get the change in our areas.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#175 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:47 AM

I don't know if the new files are bigger or smaller, but I'd swear that image quality of the two channels, that had the issue, has noticeably IMPROVED.

#176 OFFLINE   CopyChief

CopyChief

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:22 AM

I don't know if the new files are bigger or smaller, but I'd swear that image quality of the two channels, that had the issue, has noticeably IMPROVED.

I didn't do a comprehensive test last night, only watching a bit of CBS programming delayed to test. I did not hear a single dropout... and that's good news!

I agree about the picture quality. I can't put my finger on exactly what changed, but it does seem a lot... sharper. Honestly I hadn't noticed anything wrong with the quality before, but now the quality of the picture on the locals seems much more in line with even the national HD offerings.

#177 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:37 PM

.....I agree about the picture quality. I can't put my finger on exactly what changed, but it does seem a lot... sharper. Honestly I hadn't noticed anything wrong with the quality before, but now the quality of the picture on the locals seems much more in line with even the national HD offerings.

A big Ditto!. Let's hope nothing changes.

#178 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:40 PM

Well, I'm hoping I'm not jumping the gun, but I sent the following email to all the folks at Dish and Echostar I've been interacting with on this issue:

Subject: Report of a significant change in the audio dropout problem in St. Louis - we need this in the Bay Area

I'm sure you all are aware that on the DBSTalk's ViP622/ViP722 - L6.16/L6.17 Audio Related Issues Discussions thread there are reports and discussion of a significant improvement resulting in the apparent elimination of the audio dropout problem along with significant apparent video improvements. It also appears that the change is the result of a change in the mpeg encoding system apparently resulting in smaller files on the DVR's.

So when are we going to see the change for those of us in the Bay Area who also have put up with this for almost two years now?

Sincerely,

#179 OFFLINE   Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:07 PM

phrelin- How do you listen to your audio? Like I mentioned, I have been having a pretty good experience with L6.17 and not many audio (or video dropouts) at all. I use the analog outs from the receiver to my display.

#180 OFFLINE   CopyChief

CopyChief

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:29 PM

A big Ditto!. Let's hope nothing changes.

Another positive test tonight for St. Louis HD locals. I watched a recording of NBC's Chuck on KSDK-5 and experienced exactly ZERO audio drops.

This is fantastic.

I sincerely hope folks in other markets who have had similar problems find solutions, too.

spam firewall