Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

BD Live

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,286 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:48 PM

Ok folks, lets hear your BD Live experiences. In the past I haven't been one to scour DVDs for extra features and I rarely if ever turn on the commentary. But BD Live has sparked my interests. Kung Fu Panda's is a bust, with not much there, unless I'm totally missing something, it has a download for the
Spoiler
. Disney's seems pretty organized for their entire set of movies with email, chat, trivia, and games. I'm checkout Transformer's and there is some cool ways to watch the film with a decent backdrop and more...

So, please explain your experiences and use the spoiler function if it is too revealing and also, if you have Easter Eggs to share.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:16 PM

So far I've been underimpressed by BD-Live, but to paraphrase Albert Einstein, it has all the usefulness of a newborn baby.

Someone will come up with a very cool app for it at some point.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,286 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:55 PM

So far I've been underimpressed by BD-Live, but to paraphrase Albert Einstein, it has all the usefulness of a newborn baby.

I see the potential. But being one of those guys that just watches the flicks and then doesn't or really hasn't done much with the extras, I'm having a hard time with it. :)
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:30 PM

Haven't checked out any of it yet.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:14 PM

I'd rather they would just give us the best possible quality and drop the needless expense of the extras... stop wasting money on extras and lower the prices. I fthey stopped spending that money they could invest it in more titles.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#6 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:24 PM

Seems like a solution in search of a problem.

Waste of time and $$$ to me.

#7 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 792 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:15 PM

i like the extras, on my favorite movies there is always something to learn about the movie, deleted stuff, off camera, commentary

#8 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,579 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:33 PM

So far I've been underimpressed by BD-Live...

... I'm having a hard time with it.

... stop wasting money on extras and lower the prices.

Seems like a solution in search of a problem. Waste of time and $$$ to me.

Sheeez, you guys are a tough crowd! Don't tell me you don't use the ACTIVE button on the HR2x remote either! :rolleyes:

:lol: /steve
/steve

#9 OFFLINE   bdowell

bdowell

Icon

• Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:06 PM

The Dark Knight included a way to make use of the Sony Eye cam for the PS3 to do your own commentary to share with friends. That sort of stuff is pretty cool.

Other than that, yeah, so far the content available from most extras that included BD-Live have been weak at best. But, as someone says above, it's early, give it time and things should get better. Even if they don't the amount of space that is required to add a little bit of BD-Live content that will connect you up to the web to get more is minimal so complaining that it's wasting space is pretty silly.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980

#10 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,579 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

[...] so complaining that it's wasting space is pretty silly.

I don't think folks are complaining about space. I think folks are complaining about development costs that need to be passed on to the consumer in the form of higher disk prices for "extra" features that will largely go unused. /steve
/steve

#11 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,286 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:15 PM

Sheeez, you guys are a tough crowd! Don't tell me you don't use the ACTIVE button on the HR2x remote either! :rolleyes:

:lol: /steve

Uhm, actually, I don't. :sure:

Do you use BD Live Steve?
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#12 OFFLINE   bdowell

bdowell

Icon

• Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:29 PM

I don't think folks are complaining about space. I think folks are complaining about development costs that need to be passed on to the consumer in the form of higher disk prices for "extra" features that will largely go unused. /steve

I almost went back and corrected that comment ;)

Either way, to me the complaints are the same really, and are sort of silly. The thought that it might cost a tiny bit more to add some BD-Live content seems simple enough, and if that is the case perhaps it would seem to be a waste of money, but... there are idiots (looks in mirror at self) that buy some of these discs simply because of the promise of extras that are available or will be available in the future, and the trade-off in savings may not make up for those lost sales to myself and others.

Right now I'd probably agree that a lot of the effort has been wasted money, but that is mostly because it seems that the studios aren't 'releasing the hounds' for whomever is needed to actually make some use of BD-Live features that are impressive. Somewhat like Warners has done with The Dark Knight, or like they did back on the HD DVD front with the community viewing feature that they put out in the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (I think that was the right title) HD DVD disc.

Some studios don't even seem as if they can be bothered to do anything at all with BD-Live (to my mind that would be mostly FOX) while others seem to at least make a very good effort (Warners). Hopefully they'll all improve over time and add some pretty cool stuff that really impresses us.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980

#13 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:07 PM

Besides the problems I had getting my Disney BD-LIVE account configured, it does seem that they have the best content (don't ask about the issues - it is a very old problem I've had with my Disney online account going back well over 10 years dealing with "username" vs. "e-mail address"). It seems you can earn Disney Movie Rewards points by playing the online BD-LIVE games. I haven't had a lot of time to experiment, but I can see how it might be a nice diversion and maybe future enhancements will make it a more useful technology.

#14 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,286 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:17 AM

Besides the problems I had getting my Disney BD-LIVE account configured, it does seem that they have the best content (don't ask about the issues - it is a very old problem I've had with my Disney online account going back well over 10 years dealing with "username" vs. "e-mail address"). It seems you can earn Disney Movie Rewards points by playing the online BD-LIVE games. I haven't had a lot of time to experiment, but I can see how it might be a nice diversion and maybe future enhancements will make it a more useful technology.

Not to highjack my own thread, but I've had problems with WALL-E and the digital disc not having the code to download it.

I agree however, Disney's BD-Live is a work in progress and seems to grow. It has the best potential.

Yesterday I spent a little time with the Transformers disc but again, as you point out, it also takes time. Sometimes life gets into the way. ;)
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#15 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,862 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:40 AM

It sounds like chicken and egg when it comes to BD-Live.

As for the extras and such, it depends. I like listening to the commentary and watching the extras from good movies and titles. Trailers are always very nice to see how the film was advertised, as sometimes, the trailer include scenes which were not in the movie. However, sometimes I get the impression that the bells and whistles get in the way of "I just want to watching the stinking movie".

I will admit that BD-Live is a feature that I want when I get around to purchasing a BD-Live player. If nothing else, it makes firmware upgrades easier. :)
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#16 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,579 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:47 AM

Do you use BD Live Steve?

No. Just bein' a wiseguy! :lol: And I'd repurpose my ACTIVE remote button if I could!

I'm good with the current "extras" metaphor we have on classic DVD's. For some movies, I sometimes like to see "making of" shorts, or interviews with directors or writers. Outtakes can be fun too. That's about it, though. I don't need interactivity or "community" features related to a movie. I have no young children around the house, though. I might think differently if and when there are grandkids. :) /steve
/steve

#17 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,692 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:13 AM

I would have said virtually the same thing.

BD Live, I think, is at a very early evolutionary stage in its potential.

To date....the technology is highly underused for much, and few BD disks even have it, let alone anything of substance.

Maybe this next year, this will "grow up" a bit.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#18 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,286 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:58 AM

It sounds like chicken and egg when it comes to BD-Live.

As for the extras and such, it depends. I like listening to the commentary and watching the extras from good movies and titles. Trailers are always very nice to see how the film was advertised, as sometimes, the trailer include scenes which were not in the movie. However, sometimes I get the impression that the bells and whistles get in the way of "I just want to watching the stinking movie".

I will admit that BD-Live is a feature that I want when I get around to purchasing a BD-Live player. If nothing else, it makes firmware upgrades easier. :)

Thanks Mark for the reply! See I'm looking for this kind of incentive so I can get as much out of the experience as I can. I suppose I came off a little sour, though I truly want to understand the importance. I have not really delved into commentary so much and perhaps I should to get a feel for how thee movie was made and the thoughts leading to its completion. I can so see Disney's eventual purpose, albeit i think they're likely trying to capitalize on it as a money maker for them (can't blame them, but it biases things a bit).

You need to get yourself a player ASAP. :lol: Based on my own limited experience the Disney movies tend to have the best BD Live stuff.

No. Just bein' a wiseguy! :lol: And I'd repurpose my ACTIVE remote button if I could!

I'm good with the current "extras" metaphor we have on classic DVD's. For some movies, I sometimes like to see "making of" shorts, or interviews with directors or writers. Outtakes can be fun too. That's about it, though. I don't need interactivity or "community" features related to a movie. I have no young children around the house, though. I might think differently if and when there are grandkids. :) /steve

I figured you were, which is why I asked to get a serious take from you. :)

I fear my children (1.5 years-ish, 5.5 years, and 14) haven't taken to them yet, but I suspect if given the chance they would. Disney does provide as does the BDP-S550, so parental controls. I would suspect that most parents are not savy enough to set things up. It does open up a whole new experience where we're litterally wired for sound (and video) thruoughout. As the one post says, PS3 has a way to show videos of personal commentaries, that is just wickedly-kewl in my opinion and I think that opens up a unbounded set of ideals that can be applied to this technology.

BTW, I apologize for seeming sour. I truly want to understand and become more appreciative of this technology, which is why I started the thread to see where folks are with it.

I would have said virtually the same thing.

BD Live, I think, is at a very early evolutionary stage in its potential.

To date....the technology is highly underused for much, and few BD disks even have it, let alone anything of substance.

Maybe this next year, this will "grow up" a bit.

There is no doubt, and I hope I didn't give the wrong impression. I want to foster this technology and perhaps learn and grow with it. i hope you and I can interact to make it better and at least learn from one another on how to use it...deal? :D
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#19 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,286 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:02 AM

Whoa! Are really interesting thought came to mind as I was rereading my post. I need to caveat this before I go on though, when I was younger, I watched some adult videos and the DVDs where using the technology to their fullest (multiple angles, etcetera). I wonder if the adult video industry is doing anything with BD Live or not? I can see a market for BD Live there. Maybe that is just scary?!
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#20 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:28 AM

Smiddy my man, you may have something. The adult entertainment industry has led the way in using new technology several times.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...