Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

anxious and waiting; first time satellite owner [new equip models/installation woes?]

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bert213

bert213

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:35 PM

Greetings all,

Just ordered Direct TV last nite. I am currently a Comcast owner and have been satisfied with Comcast HD service...very displeased with costs.

My installation is scheduled for Thursday...very quick...nice :)

2 questions (forgot to ask rep last nite):
1) Does anyone know what model number my HD DVR and SD receivers will be?
2) What are the chances that my local installer (Nashville,TN) will perform a clean wiring job, if needed? Is there and extra cost for the SVM technique (8-way splitter functionality)?

Edited by bert213, 08 January 2009 - 06:47 PM.
typo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,649 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:42 PM

1) You'll get whatever units the installer has in stock, no way to know until he shows up unless you call them -the DIrecTV reps can't tell you, only the installer. The HD DVR could be the HR20, HR21, HR22 or HR23 (most likely a 22 or 23) not sure what SD models are in current use.

2) A standard install includes installation of the Dish + cables to each tuner. Wall fishing cable is extra. If you're getting a regular HD Dish, unless you need more than 4 tuners, you won't get a multiswitch. If you're getting a SWM Dish, then it can handle 8 tuners.

#3 OFFLINE   bert213

bert213

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

1) You'll get whatever units the installer has in stock, no way to know until he shows up unless you call them -the DIrecTV reps can't tell you, only the installer. The HD DVR could be the HR20, HR21, HR22 or HR23 (most likely a 22 or 23) not sure what SD models are in current use.

2) A standard install includes installation of the Dish + cables to each tuner. Wall fishing cable is extra. If you're getting a regular HD Dish, unless you need more than 4 tuners, you won't get a multiswitch. If you're getting a SWM Dish, then it can handle 8 tuners.

OK, just out of curiosity....

What is the average price to have the installers fish wire and do other misc tasks (would like to be prepared)?

Furthermore, at this point...Am I paying the subcontractor or Direct?

#4 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:18 PM

OK, just out of curiosity....

What is the average price to have the installers fish wire and do other misc tasks (would like to be prepared)?

Furthermore, at this point...Am I paying the subcontractor or Direct?

My installer was a DirecTV installer, and the charge for a fish was $75
(sometimes the installer may 'forget' to charge you, so I suggest a tip. This is not guaranteed, of course.)

from what I saw, it looked like the additional charge would be added to your account. Dealing with a contractor may be different.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#5 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,649 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:45 PM

Never had to pay an installer. I'd call DirecTv to confirm how to pay for additional install charges. But, from what I recall reading here, I believe all payment is supposed to go through DirecTV.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:37 PM

Actually, payment goes directly to the installer if he is a subcontractor. In-house techs may be stuck with you writing a check to the HSP, which usually means they will keep some or all of that check, which is BS, but far too common.

And, yes, wall fishes are definitely custom work.

#7 OFFLINE   Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:08 AM

Actually, payment goes directly to the installer if he is a subcontractor. In-house techs may be stuck with you writing a check to the HSP, which usually means they will keep some or all of that check, which is BS, but far too common.

And, yes, wall fishes are definitely custom work.

In house = none of it.

If you're in Nashville you'll get a in house tech. DirecTV says that the free basic install includes routing cable through the floor or an exterior wall. So if you want it fished down from the attic, be nice to the tech and by all means tip him for the work. If its on an exterior wall, probably won't be fished at all.

#8 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:10 AM

Fishes are indeed 65 -75 for basic attick / basement ones. Offer cash to the tech and most of the time he'll do it for less. Checks to the company disappear and the tech gets nothing.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#9 OFFLINE   bert213

bert213

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:46 PM

OK, I'm on...

local contractor was excellent. No charge for additional runs(nice)...needed 2 since keeping Comcast internet. Got the SWM hookup with the power inverter/splitter device.

Very pleased thus far. HD looks great, DVR is good, but ON Demand does not have entire catalog yet. Maybe I need to reset it...currently reading ON Demand threads.

I received a HR-21...what are the differences among the HR21,22,23? [link?]

#10 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:51 PM

OK, I'm on...

local contractor was excellent. No charge for additional runs(nice)...needed 2 since keeping Comcast internet. Got the SWM hookup with the power inverter/splitter device.

Very pleased thus far. HD looks great, DVR is good, but ON Demand does not have entire catalog yet. Maybe I need to reset it...currently reading ON Demand threads.

I received a HR-21...what are the differences among the HR21,22,23? [link?]

I'm surprised you got an HR21.

from what's been posted, the 21 has a smaller hard drive and requires a baseband converter (BBC)

The 22 adds a larger hard drive (500GB vs 320GB if I recall correctly)

The 23 eliminates the need for the BBC

HR20 - 50 hr - BBC - OTA
HR21 - 50 hr - BBC - no OTA
HR22 - 100 hr - BBC - no OTA
HR23 - 100 hr - no BBC - no OTA

Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#11 OFFLINE   Dknow

Dknow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:59 PM

This may be a stupid question for you but since you're new to D*.....Did you network your HDDVR to a router? If not that may be why you on demand is not working. It does however take about 12 hours for the on demand channels to be available when you first network.

#12 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,978 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:26 PM

It takes about 24 hours before the On Demand list is fully populated. If you reset the DVR, it will start that process all over again.

#13 OFFLINE   bert213

bert213

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:09 PM

This may be a stupid question for you but since you're new to D*.....Did you network your HDDVR to a router? If not that may be why you on demand is not working. It does however take about 12 hours for the on demand channels to be available when you first network.

There are no stupid IT questions.

Yes, it is networked....and the listings finally came in.

Thx guys.

#14 OFFLINE   bert213

bert213

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:16 PM

from what's been posted, the 21 has a smaller hard drive and requires a baseband converter (BBC)

I don't know what to think here.....

Should I feel cheated with my HR21?...I do want the latest and greatest.

Maybe I can call the local contractor tomorrow and ask for the HR23?

What do you guys think?

#15 OFFLINE   cdizzy

cdizzy

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:20 PM

I thought they all needed the BBC's and only the HR23 had the bigger hard drive.

I only have a HR20 and HR21 so I'm just assuming at this point.

HR44-200 Genie

Genie clients X2

HR21-100

DirecTV customer since 2003

#16 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:23 PM

I thought they all needed the BBC's and only the HR23 had the bigger hard drive.

I only have a HR20 and HR21 so I'm just assuming at this point.

I can say for sure the 23 doesn't need an external BBC. I'm going on previous reports that the 22 was the first with the 500GB hard drive.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#17 OFFLINE   cdizzy

cdizzy

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:36 PM

I can say for sure the 23 doesn't need an external BBC. I'm going on previous reports that the 22 was the first with the 500GB hard drive.

You could be right. I just got my HR21 recently and it is a bedroom receiver so I don't fill it up like the HR20. Needing BBC's really don't bother me regardless.

HR44-200 Genie

Genie clients X2

HR21-100

DirecTV customer since 2003

#18 OFFLINE   redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWest Warwick, RI

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:31 AM

All HR models (20/21/22/23) function exactly the same so it really doesn't matter which one you got. The only differences as already noted are the HR20 has a built in OTA tuner, none of the others do but you can get the add on AM21 OTA tuner for the HR21/22/23 from D* for ~$50, and the HR22 and HR23 have larger hard drives. All but the 23 require BBC's unless you use a single wire multiswitch system.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...