Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

new channel called AFN and some channels have been moved this morning

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   ans2004

ans2004

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:33 AM

i think they moved the golf channel t0 218 because the sportsman channel will be launching this month. they will most likely put it on 605, the old golf channel spot. thats where the other outdoor channels are.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,918 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:16 AM

Is anyone having problems adding Golf/218 to their QuickTune list? I can't get it to add to mine.

Thanks

#78 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:20 AM

- A feature like webby s describes would make sense and is certainly do-able in a software update. Different people might want to organize channels differently.

Would be nice. Support nightmare. FTA receivers have this ability and I know from experience it's just not worth it support wise.

- DirecTV makes these changes, with NO announcements. Many times the added channels do not even populate the favorites menu. For the 99.9% of customers that do not frequent this website, there is no way to know what is going on, short of searching the set-up menu on a regular basis.

Already stated that they almost always make these announcements in people's monthly bills. Channels changes and new channels are always listed on mine. But then again I actually look at my bills unlike a lot of people. :) Also often about a week or two after it technically launches you'll see a press release on the new channel. By the way, cable doesn't inform me when any new channels are added either other then in my bill. What do you want, phone calls to everyone? Everyone gets a bill and it's the only reliable method to communicate with your entire user base. Sure, DirecTV could use the internal messaging service on the receivers but I'd hazzard to guess that the vast majority of the user base just ignores those (I know I do and pretty much everyone I know does). If was an effective way to communicate they would use it more.

- CNN makes no sense where it is located. CNN pays for its spot on the theory, which I think is silly, that people start at the "bottom" and surf up. CNN should be in with the other news channels.

This just goes back to the legacy of what cable channels did on cable. Channels would pay a hefty premium to be a higher number. This is also the case with DirecTV. Now in today's day and age it may seem like this is antiquated thinking but when I go to my relatives that are "normal" and guess what they do: Tune to the lowest number and start surfing up. So there is still value in this thinking and DirecTV will certainly take CNN's money if they want to pay extra to stay at the top of the channel listing.

#79 OFFLINE   phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:02 AM

I love this channel. If only it were in HD.

#80 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:22 AM

I love this channel. If only it were in HD.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. How about they work on stereo sound first?

#81 OFFLINE   Jashobeam

Jashobeam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:52 PM

IMHO:

- A feature like webby s describes would make sense and is certainly do-able in a software update. Different people might want to organize channels differently.

- DirecTV makes these changes, with NO announcements. Many times the added channels do not even populate the favorites menu. For the 99.9% of customers that do not frequent this website, there is no way to know what is going on, short of searching the set-up menu on a regular basis.

Isn't Dish coming out with a box that will allow regrouping channels this year?

I go through the Wiki for DirecTV channels on a monthly basis or so just to keep up with what is being added. It seems to be pretty up to date. I would love a better search engine on DirecTV; the current one is about 10 years behind the times. I would also like to be able to group my DVRed shows by genre or by catagories I make up. That way we could have kids shows on one list, movies on another and documentaries on yet another. I would also love to have an option in search when looking for a show that NOTHING comes up except the channels I get (not even PPV.) If I do a search for "comedy" I get a ton of results, but most of the comedy movies are not listed, just page after page of PPV movies. The entire search needs an overhaul.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...