Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Boston PBS in HD?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DrZ

DrZ

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:33 AM

Anyone have any idea when DTV will be showing the Boston PBS station WGBH in HD? It seems odd places like Baton Rouge have PBS-HD but not Boston.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bsprague

bsprague

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:43 AM

Seattle is the same way in that nobody seems to know or is willing to tell what they know. You can try calling or emailing WGBH. The ink is barely dry on the PBS Association agreement with DirecTV. We are only allowed to be patient!

Bill, a DirecTV customer since 1999
--Condo: Slimline AU9, HR21-100 > Panasonic 42” Plasma with Bose CineMate, HR24-200> Sony KDL-55HX800 LED & 3D with Sony Soundbar HT-CT150, Wii
--Motorhome: 2004 40' Beaver, ISC 350 Cummins, KVH R5 - in motion, R15-500 > 30" Sharp Aquos LCD

#3 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:50 AM

Anyone have any idea when DTV will be showing the Boston PBS station WGBH in HD? It seems odd places like Baton Rouge have PBS-HD but not Boston.

WGBH DT has been uplinked for 3 weeks+ now to directv its just not live yet.
I wonder what is taking so long.
Look in the transponder maps thread at the top of this page and refer to post 108(i think) and read the the file in .XLS more info is there.

Edited by jimmyv2000, 07 January 2009 - 09:50 AM.

Jimmy

#4 OFFLINE   DrZ

DrZ

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:58 AM

Huh. Flip the switch I say! My 2 year old need Barney and Friends in 1080i!

#5 OFFLINE   mickcris

mickcris

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:21 AM

I recall a post months ago saying that the Digital Dallas PBS station being on one of the transponders and it is still not turned on either.

#6 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:40 AM

There are MANY decent-sized DMA's that still don't have PBS in HD (or CW or MyNetwork either) despite the fact that test channels have been assigned to local spotbeam transponders since around November.

There's a lot of work on Directv's end to get those stations all signed-up, the signal properly transcoded and multiplexed into the feeds and then legally retransmit them to us. And there are a lot of individual markets to address, all of which move along at their own individual pace. Hopefully we will see more markets added in the coming weeks.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#7 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:52 AM

Huh. Flip the switch I say! My 2 year old need Barney and Friends in 1080i!

I agree then the wife will Happy and the OTA in my walkup attic can go so i can get the room finished off!
WGBH is holding me up.
I hope they don't want a Donation:D:D
Jimmy

#8 OFFLINE   dbsdave

dbsdave

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:09 AM

There are MANY decent-sized DMA's that still don't have PBS in HD (or CW or MyNetwork either) despite the fact that test channels have been assigned to local spotbeam transponders since around November.

There's a lot of work on Directv's end to get those stations all signed-up, the signal properly transcoded and multiplexed into the feeds and then legally retransmit them to us. And there are a lot of individual markets to address, all of which move along at their own individual pace. Hopefully we will see more markets added in the coming weeks.

Yah but how many of those large markets have such a considerable percentage of pbs programs produced in their city. Or such a pivotal role in the earlier development of pbs. Ridiculous I tell you.

#9 OFFLINE   DrZ

DrZ

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:28 AM

Got this back from WGBH.com

...As a result of a recently signed carriage agreement between DirecTV and PBS, DirecTV will soon be carrying the High Definition (HD) channel broadcast in local markets (like WGBH HD), and two other national PBS channels that have yet to be determined. Because both World and Create are nationally syndicated channels, it is possible that one or both of them will be carried by DirecTV as a result of this national agreement. There are a number of nationally syndicated PBS channels that broadcast on PBS stations across the country, and we do not yet know which of these channels DirecTV will add to their national channel line up. Please keep in touch with DirecTV for more information about the new local and national PBS services coming in 2009.

Not that helpful, I know....

#10 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:39 AM

Got this back from WGBH.com

...As a result of a recently signed carriage agreement between DirecTV and PBS, DirecTV will soon be carrying the High Definition (HD) channel broadcast in local markets (like WGBH HD), and two other national PBS channels that have yet to be determined. Because both World and Create are nationally syndicated channels, it is possible that one or both of them will be carried by DirecTV as a result of this national agreement. There are a number of nationally syndicated PBS channels that broadcast on PBS stations across the country, and we do not yet know which of these channels DirecTV will add to their national channel line up. Please keep in touch with DirecTV for more information about the new local and national PBS services coming in 2009.

Not that helpful, I know....

Thats the same canned response i got recently
and calling the station to speak to an engineer is useless.
Jimmy

#11 OFFLINE   dreamyip

dreamyip

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:56 PM

I am glad that I finally see PBS HD in San Francisco (KQED)...
HR22-100 -> Sony KDL-52W4100 via HDMI
H21-200-> Gateway FHD2400 LCD via HDMI
H21-100 -> Sony 50" LCD via HDMI
HR24-500 - Panasonic TC-P65S2
5 LNB Slimline with Zinwell 6x8 Mulitswitch
Logitech Harmony ONE remote control

#12 OFFLINE   DrZ

DrZ

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:40 AM

It's sad that I can get Boston crappy CW in HD but not one of the flagship PBS stations in the country!

#13 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:22 AM

Folks, let's use the "More HD in 2009" thread for this discussion. Thanks.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall