Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Pack FREE 3-months...again?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:18 AM

Hey everyone...happy new year!

Last year I added the HD extra pack which was free for three months. I took it off a few days prior to it expiring as I very rarely watched anything on those channels.

I just noticed while going through the Add Premium section that I can add the HD Extra Pack again free for three months? You guys think its legit or will they give it to me for those few days, then charge me? :)

#2 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:43 AM

I had actually been paying for it for a while when it was accidentally removed from my package. When it was re-added, it showed up as free for three months.

Since I'd pay for it anyway, I didn't bother to look into it.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:45 AM

I'm glad for you!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:52 AM

It notes "Free for the first three months" and that it will continue after that at the regular price, so if you didn't want to pay for it after that three months, you'd have to cancel it. Also, as to the "first three months", there is nothing said about "New Customers Only" or not available if you have had the Extra Pack before, but who knows.

I tried to add it, but it would have required that I change my package, which I don't want to do. It's possible, I suppose, that I could call and get it added by the CSR without having to change my package, but I don't want to take the time right now (working).

#5 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:00 AM

directv seems to be watching those free things more now, and you are likely to get charged for the "Second" free time.
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#6 OFFLINE   idigg

idigg

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:31 AM

directv seems to be watching those free things more now, and you are likely to get charged for the "Second" free time.

Incorrect. I had DirecTV installed January 2008, and had 3 free months of HD Pack from the get-go. I cancelled the HD pack before my 3 free months.

I checked in May, and I had 3 free months of HD Pack, so I had it free again and wasn't charged.
HR21-700
HR22-100
H21-100
---------
AM21 for sale $38 shipped (PM ME)

#7 OFFLINE   idigg

idigg

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:35 AM

I just looked again, and they're offering me 3 free months of HD Pack again! Thanks for making me look :)
HR21-700
HR22-100
H21-100
---------

#8 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:36 AM

I had the free 3 months of HD Extra on two separate occasions over the past year. It is definitely possible to call a CSR to get it added without having to change your base package.

#9 OFFLINE   irish316

irish316

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts
  • LocationBrownsburg, IN

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:41 AM

I had the free 3 months of HD Extra on two separate occasions over the past year. It is definitely possible to call a CSR to get it added without having to change your base package.

I've had it free for 3 months on two separate occasions in 2008. I didn't keep at as I hardly ever watched those channels when I had them. To me they are not worth $5 a month. They should be included in the $9.99 a month for HD access, but that will never happen.

#10 OFFLINE   idigg

idigg

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:50 AM

It could be worse. AT&T Uverse charges $5/month for there HD Pack, which only has 3 stations.
HR21-700
HR22-100
H21-100
---------

#11 OFFLINE   Boston Fan

Boston Fan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:34 PM

I am now on my third round of "Free for 3 Months" for HD Extra. The first was right after they began charging for it, the second was in the fall, and I just signed up two days ago without a problem for 3 more months free. I also have a grandfathered package, but a CSR was able to add it each time without requiring me to upgrade.

Since they keep offering it for free (9 of the last 15 months for me by the time the current one ends), it gets me to wondering if the size of the paid subscriber base for this package is coming in well below their expectations.

#12 OFFLINE   Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:55 PM

I decided to give it a whirl...i'll just remember to can it just before the 3 month period expires (again).

I don't understand though why people would have to change their package to get it? I haven't been with them long enough to know the ins and outs of DTV.

#13 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:45 PM

I don't understand though why people would have to change their package to get it? I haven't been with them long enough to know the ins and outs of DTV.

The thing is, the web site doesn't recognize the grandfathered packages as valid packages anymore, so the web site requires you to choose one of the current ones.

The web site used to have a radio button that said something like "keep my current package" and you could make changes to premiums, etc. on the site. That option is no longer available (with one of their web site upgrades), so it's requiring a package change.

As noted, the CSRs can add the Extra Pack without messing with the packages, so that's the route I'll take.

#14 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:28 PM

The thing is, the web site doesn't recognize the grandfathered packages as valid packages anymore, so the web site requires you to choose one of the current ones.

The web site used to have a radio button that said something like "keep my current package" and you could make changes to premiums, etc. on the site. That option is no longer available (with one of their web site upgrades), so it's requiring a package change.

As noted, the CSRs can add the Extra Pack without messing with the packages, so that's the route I'll take.

You'll inevitably get an email regardless saying, "Thank you for your recent contact with DirecTV. Did you know that you could have done that online?".

I just cancelled this HD Extra Pack. I had been paying for a couple months unknowingly after I got several months free broken up by 1 cycle perhaps, since it's been out. I feel bad about calling and asking for 3 months free when I just called to cancel it..but they don't leave much choice. I want to keep my TC+HD etc. and the $2.02/mo savings it brings over ChoiceXtraHD+DVR. I might not even bother. I'll wind up forgetting to remove it again.
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#15 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 679 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for starting the thread. I checked and was able to add it for free. This will be my 3rd free time around. Checking "Activity Since Last Billing" shows it properly at $0.
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#16 OFFLINE   Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:12 AM

Glad I could help... even though I rarely watch those channels, every now and again something is interesting on one of them and it's always great to watch native HD channels. :)

#17 OFFLINE   GP_23

GP_23

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:32 AM

That is what happened to me after the Sunday Ticket deal, getting charged for it now! Got it free during the Sunday Ticket deal, then dropped it, and tried to add it again for free, so they must be catching on.
I am a HD Spoiled Brat!

#18 OFFLINE   mikeinthekeys

mikeinthekeys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

Man, I love this website! After watching all the back episodes of "24" on Crime and Investigation, I decided last weekend to drop HD Extra Pack mainly to save $5. After reading this thread yesterday I went on line and sucked up the free offer. What more can I say? Thanks to all!
Working hard every day to stay retired!:
D* since 1994 Setup:
Den - H21-200 Sony 34XBR910
LR - HR24-200 Vivitek proj, Vizio SV420SVT
BR - H20 Olevia 26"

spam firewall