Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fargo, ND may lose CBS network

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EVAC41

EVAC41

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:55 AM

I just saw in my paper that Fargo might lose KXJB channel which carries the CBS network if an agreement cannot be reached by midnight tonight. So I hope and pray they reach an agreement and the channel can say on the air.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:04 PM

I just saw in my paper that Fargo might lose KXJB channel which carries the CBS network if an agreement cannot be reached by midnight tonight. So I hope and pray they reach an agreement and the channel can say on the air.

Are we just talking about a lack of a contract between D* and the owners of the Fargo CBS or something else?

The way it's worded, you make it sound like it's between the TV station and CBS itself :confused:

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#3 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,165 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:06 PM

Are we just talking about a lack of a contract between D* and the owners of the Fargo CBS or something else?

The way it's worded, you make it sound like it's between the TV station and CBS itself :confused:

This is a rentrans dispute between KXJB and DirecTV

full article:
http://www.in-forum....articles/227025

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#4 OFFLINE   spedinfargo

spedinfargo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:53 PM

This is a rentrans dispute between KXJB and DirecTV

full article:
http://www.in-forum....articles/227025

For the love of GOD, one of the reasons I switched from CableOne to DirecTV was because CableOne didn't have CBS and NBC in high-def for the longest time.

Sure enough - the same WEEK I switched they got CBS and NBC back again...

Now I might lose my standard-def CBS station AFTER I switch?

That would suck indeed...

(as if the killing of the Media Center integration wasn't bad enough...)

#5 OFFLINE   EVAC41

EVAC41

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

For the love of GOD, one of the reasons I switched from CableOne to DirecTV was because CableOne didn't have CBS and NBC in high-def for the longest time.

Sure enough - the same WEEK I switched they got CBS and NBC back again...

Now I might lose my standard-def CBS station AFTER I switch?

That would suck indeed...

(as if the killing of the Media Center integration wasn't bad enough...)

Amen to that!!!

#6 OFFLINE   wilsonc

wilsonc

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:14 PM

I think its funny that the article quoted above basically makes it D* fault by how it mentions the problem with KJZZ in Utah.

#7 OFFLINE   PressureContent

PressureContent

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:43 AM

And I guess that was your accomplice in the woodchipper.

#8 OFFLINE   jf58078

jf58078

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:19 PM

I think it's a little fishy. The problem being that Fargo's NBC and CBS affiliates are actually owned by the same company -- even airing the exact same local news broadcasts on both. My opinion is that they (owners of local affiliates) are now exercising their monopoly on the local TV market to railroad first the local cable company and now DirecTV.

When it happened last year with the local cable company (Cableone) I was quick to assume it was Cableone that bore the large portion of the blame. Now that it's looking like the same scenario, except with DirecTV this time, I'm re-evaluating who's the real stinker here.

Of course, when the local stations merged, there was all the grandstanding and assurances about how great this was going to be for everyone involved. The only one I think it benefits is the parent company that owns them both. Now sticking it to everyone they can simply because they can.

I realize it doesn't change much, but I've personally started watching ABC's local news since their monopoly was formed and I'd encourage all area viewers to do the same. Or the local Fox.

Okay, incoherent rant over. Thanks for your time. Move along...

#9 OFFLINE   EVAC41

EVAC41

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

UPDATE - New News story and Video:

Still no agreement has been made.. Here is the news story I found today

Link - News Story:
http://www.in-forum....articles/227143

Video:
http://www.valleynew...ry_7_2009.shtml

#10 OFFLINE   urnote96

urnote96

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:28 PM

what i find funny is that KXJB (CBS) and KVLY (NBC) are both owned and operated by the same company...KINDA wierd that one channel will get the contract but not the other....

Why wont KXJB let directv just let it air during the process like they said they would do but KXJB said NO...

I blame it on KXJB...not DIRECTV
Exede Installer

#11 OFFLINE   c152driver

c152driver

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

I tend to always side with the cable / satellite company in these cases.

What floors me is that these broadcast stations are holding the pay TV providers over a barrel for retransmission fees when the pay TV providers are actually doing the broadcasters a favor by delivering their advertising supported programming to a larger number of eyeballs. My parents get KXJB via DirecTV and they can't get it OTA ever since KXJB got rid of their nearest repeater. (It's a large geographical area DMA and they are on the fringe).

The economics of local broadcast stations are pretty broken these days with the Internet taking away a lot of viewers and an advertising downturn on top of that. They seem to be looking for extra revenue wherever they can find it. Seems like cutting off their nose to spite their face to me.

#12 OFFLINE   EVAC41

EVAC41

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:01 PM

Station just went off the air

#13 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,859 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:55 PM

Are you SURE this is DirecTV and not Dish Network? After all, Dish Network is always pulling stations and channels when they have a contract dispute, and DirecTV never does that. :) :) :)
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,739 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:39 PM

Are you SURE this is DirecTV and not Dish Network? After all, Dish Network is always pulling stations and channels when they have a contract dispute, and DirecTV never does that. :) :) :)

I was about to say the same thing. :D

Sorry for your loss, for those in Fargo.

#15 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

Besides this, can you think of another instance in which this has happened? How about at a national level?

#16 OFFLINE   tftc22

tftc22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

Besides this, can you think of another instance in which this has happened? How about at a national level?

On a national level, the only channel I can think of that was pulled by Directv over a contract dispute was Lifetime Real Women.

#17 OFFLINE   EVAC41

EVAC41

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:30 PM

Yep it's DirecTV... The guide says ""This station is no longer available".. I wonder what the heck is going to happen now.. Will D* let us see the CBSE(380) and CBSW(381)... Probabily not :bang

#18 OFFLINE   EVAC41

EVAC41

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:31 PM

I was about to say the same thing. :D

Sorry for your loss, for those in Fargo.

Thanks James!!!

#19 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:56 PM

what i find funny is that KXJB (CBS) and KVLY (NBC) are both owned and operated by the same company...KINDA wierd that one channel will get the contract but not the other....

I blame it on KXJB...not DIRECTV

I do not think it is weird. Because no one watches NBC they do not want to run off the advertisers they have. The big club is the #1 CBS prime time lineup. Since the news is on both they will not lose their dedicated news audience and their ad revenue should not suffer much on the news shows and that is where a large part of their revenue comes from.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#20 OFFLINE   spedinfargo

spedinfargo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:30 AM

I do not think it is weird. Because no one watches NBC they do not want to run off the advertisers they have. The big club is the #1 CBS prime time lineup. Since the news is on both they will not lose their dedicated news audience and their ad revenue should not suffer much on the news shows and that is where a large part of their revenue comes from.

Speculation on another thread was that the DirecTV contracts were signed separately by KVLY and KXJB before they merged and bought by Hoake. Which means we might have the same thing to look forward to whenever the NBC contract is on too...

As my wife likes to say though: 'speculation alert'

Protected By... spam firewall...And...