Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fargo, ND may lose CBS network

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,046 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:40 PM

As a former Grand Forks (included in Fargo DMA) resident I feel for you guys caught in the middle of this.

Seeing this thread made me look through CBS' schedule for the next week and it's almost funny, I'll not be watching a single CBS prime time show! I do prefer the local CBS news though.

If I was still in The Forks I'd be watching WDAZ news so no loss there with the lack of CBS news, and sounds like the CBS Fargo news is combined with the NBC news anyway.

CBS has that huge tower between The Forks & Fargo. How far away do you have to be before you can't pick it up OTA?

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   spedinfargo

spedinfargo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:36 PM

As a former Grand Forks (included in Fargo DMA) resident I feel for you guys caught in the middle of this.

Seeing this thread made me look through CBS' schedule for the next week and it's almost funny, I'll not be watching a single CBS prime time show! I do prefer the local CBS news though.

If I was still in The Forks I'd be watching WDAZ news so no loss there with the lack of CBS news, and sounds like the CBS Fargo news is combined with the NBC news anyway.

CBS has that huge tower between The Forks & Fargo. How far away do you have to be before you can't pick it up OTA?

I'm lucky enough to have a roof-top antenna that does OK with CBS and NBC - I never got around to picking up an AM-21 yet, though and I have problems getting all four main networks (seems that if I point the antenna in a way to get Fox then I have problems with the other three). I'm definitely not going to be up on the roof anytime soon to play around with it either...

We watch so little network TV (esp. CBS) and I'm not a huge NFL fan so it's not a huge deal for me, but I'm really sick of this crap...

#23 OFFLINE   EVAC41

EVAC41

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:45 PM

Here is what was put out as of last night:

http://www.valleynew...o/directv.shtml

Video:
http://www.valleynew...ry_8_2009.shtml

I hope they come to an agreement soon. We should have our locals dropped to $4.50 per month but I dont think that is going to happen :nono2:... So I must be dreaming...:new_sleep

#24 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

http://directv.com/D...ssetId=P5370020

#25 OFFLINE   EVAC41

EVAC41

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:05 PM

http://directv.com/D...ssetId=P5370020

Thanks Satelliteracer!! You must have been reading my mind :icon_lol: I was just doing to put a post in about d* letter and give that link..

#26 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,907 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

Contact your congresscritter. Tell them how they are taking their "license to broadcast" and using it as a "license to extort".
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#27 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,770 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:28 AM

I still think its ridiculous that cable and satellite companys have to pay to have local channels on their service that you can receive for free OTA. If I was a local channel owner I would gladly give my signal to them at no cost. You would get more viewers, and local businesses would get more customers.

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 10 January 2009 - 12:01 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,803 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:48 AM

ANY time a local OTA stations goes off air because they are asking for new or higher fees.. I always blame the stations. I mean, hello.. their customers could put up an antenna... its highway robbery to charge the sat and cable companies because your programing sucks so much that you can't make enough money via your advertising and marketing department...

#29 OFFLINE   EVAC41

EVAC41

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:39 PM

They reached an agreement. :joy: I got a e-mail from KXJB's general manager saying they came back on the air at 8:00am today. :icon_bb: :icon_da:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...