Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sub-Channel/Fractional TV Channel Support

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   denkbar

denkbar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:21 PM

On of the local Los Angeles-area local channels (KSCI Ch 18) is showing info ads saying that after the forthcoming converstion to digital channels, they will sub-divide/fractionalize Ch 18 into sub-channels - 18.1, 18.2, 18.3, .... -Ch 18 has a lot of foreign language shows, and we are interested in 18.2 - Japanese.

Talked to Dish tech support today and the CSR says we should have no problem viewing the sub-channels channels when they make the switch. That doesn't sound right to me. For example, digital FM is fractionalized in this manner, and it requires a special receiver to hear the sub-channels. Seems to me that "sub-channel" TV would require something similar.

Does anyone have any information on this? - Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TvilleBee

TvilleBee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:25 PM

If you already get ch 18.1 OTA, you will still get it. They are "virtual" channels broadcast digitally on the same carrier. My local PBS has 28.1, 28.2, 28.3 and used to have up to 28.5. All came in great on the antenna... But if you get ch 18.1 via Dish, you'll need the antenna to get the others, don't look for Dish or Direct to start carrying subs...

#3 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:52 PM

To expand on TvilleBee. I am in SoCal and have OTA. I get all the subchannels and a lot of them are complete with Guide Information. I actually thought 18 already had subchannels but I could be wrong.

As TvilleBee stated, don't expect sub-channels to appear through the SAT. Not worth the bandwidth in my opinion.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#4 OFFLINE   denkbar

denkbar

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:54 PM

Thank you both for the replies. I was afraid the tech support person was mistaken. And, it makes sense that satellite vendors aren't able to support sub-channels.

Ron, 18 may already have subs. I don't have an OTA, so can't tell. But, from they way their spots are presented, it sounds like it will happen when they go digital in February. 18-1 Korean, 18-2 Japanese, 18.3 .....

Means I'll need to get an antenna (my tv has digital, so won't need a conversion box). Trouble is, we're in a hilly area, and our city (Diamond Bar) has ghosts on most of the channels.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,371 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

If you have a ViP series receiver you will have to rescan or add the channels when they are available OTA. If you don't have a ViP receiver you may be able to receive the channels via a converter box (assuming you can receive the main 18.1 digital channel clearly).

And while I typed you replied! ... You're on the right path. Antenna time!

#6 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:19 PM

Thank you both for the replies. I was afraid the tech support person was mistaken. And, it makes sense that satellite vendors aren't able to support sub-channels.

Ron, 18 may already have subs. I don't have an OTA, so can't tell. But, from they way their spots are presented, it sounds like it will happen when they go digital in February. 18-1 Korean, 18-2 Japanese, 18.3 .....

Means I'll need to get an antenna (my tv has digital, so won't need a conversion box). Trouble is, we're in a hilly area, and our city (Diamond Bar) has ghosts on most of the channels.

I would suggest going to the HD local forums at our sister site AVSForum. Find your DMA and then search for your area and see what people are doing. Next walk around and see if you can find any neighbors that appear to have something working and ask them what they are using. I would suggest getting a directionaly type antenna.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#7 OFFLINE   rasheed

rasheed

Godfather

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:07 PM

Even with a small internal antenna it shouldn't be too hard to get LA18's sub channels. One of them appears to be a Korean shopping network. I get them fine via antenna on my VIP boxes and with guide data as previously mentioned.

I have no clue if Dish will ever carry these subchannels. Back in the day before must carry, I remember it was hard to get KSCI to be even carried for its multilingual programming by either satellite or cable carriers.

Rasheed

#8 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:24 AM

If your ch 18 is a full power station you should have noproblem scanning in the OTA signal.

I get one out-of-market OTA station from 57 miles away with an indoor antenna! (it helps that I'm on high ground and there are no obstructons in the direction of the transmitter, and that transmitter is on a very tall tower with lots of power). BTW it's a CBS station with a FOX LPTV station on a subchannel. I call it the "poor-man's NFL Sunday Ticket whenever they carry different games than what is shown locally :)
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#9 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:33 AM

Go to antennaweb.org and type in your address. That might give you a better idea if you can recieve the station over the air or if you might need to get a better antenna.

What E* reciever do you have? Most of the HD receivers also have an over the air tuner that can recieve it and it will be integrated into the program guide.

If not, if your TV has a SDTV, EDTV, HDTV, or DTV logo on it then you can use your TV's tuner.

If that won't work for you, then you can buy a converter box such as the TR-40 or DTV Pal. The nice thing about those converter boxes is that they have the same look and feel as most of the E* receivers (see http://www.dtvpal.com/). Also, you can get a $40 coupon from the government that will cover most (or all) of the costs (the coupon won't work for the DTVPal DVR). Since there is currently high demand for these coupons, it may take a while to get one (and they may need to get more $$ from congress). See https://www.dtv2009.gov/ for more information.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

spam firewall