Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

If DISH has my locals in HD, why doesn't DirecTV?

kcpt hd

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sammy2368

Sammy2368

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:31 PM

I'm in the Lexington, KY market and noticed that DISH Network is now offering my locals in HD. Why isn't DirecTV? It's not even on their website for upcoming areas... :mad:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:38 PM

Because they don't have a contract to do it yet. :)

#3 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:40 PM

I'm sure D* is working on it or will be soon, but it's the same for some DMA's with Dish that have locals in SD but not HD. I'm lucky I'm in a DMA that D* has both, with the exception of PBS but I never watch it anyways!!!

#4 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:42 PM

Also there are lots of markets that DirecTV has HD locals in that Dish doesn't. Just a matter of contracts, timing and how many subs they think they'll gain in one market over another.

#5 OFFLINE   Sammy2368

Sammy2368

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for all the quick replies... Question though, what's a "DMA"?

#6 OFFLINE   HDRoberts

HDRoberts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:53 PM

DMA=Designated Market Area.

Dish chose Lexington as a good place to launch most likely because DirecTV doesn't carry HD locals. Why match the competition in one DMA when you can one-up them in another.

#7 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:07 PM

It can be a number of factors. It might be negotiating contracts with the channels. It might be infrastructure to handle the channel, EG local receive facilities, uplink capacity etc. It could be space on a appropriately aimed spot beam. Could be based on the number of sub in the area, the HD penetration and the predicted subs.

With that said DirecTV has been rolling out a lot of locals and seems to be planning to continue that with it's next planned sat launch. I'm sure HD locals will come sooner or later.

#8 OFFLINE   Sammy2368

Sammy2368

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

Well, my contract is up in June. We'll cross the sooner or later bridge then. If I don't have them by June and/or the Lexington, KY market isn't on the "Coming soon" list, I might have to take the jump to DISH. Of course depending on pricing, and packages, etc...

Thanks again for all the information!!

#9 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:32 PM

I'm in the Lexington, KY market and noticed that DISH Network is now offering my locals in HD. Why isn't DirecTV? It's not even on their website for upcoming areas... :mad:

Lexington is scheduled for HD in 2009.

Sammy, why is it that some markets D* has HD and E* doesn't? :D Has a lot to do with how they design the spot beams on the satellites, contractual agreements, etc, etc.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...