Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Wrestler

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   deltafowler

deltafowler

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 953 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:42 PM

I found this to be a great movie!
Rourke put one heck of an effort into it, as did Tomei and others.
I like the documentary styled cinematography and the near complete lack of music. It give the movie a very real look and feel to it.

Mickey's been down a rough road, of his own making, and it shows; but it's almost as if his entire career and his personal ups and downs have been necessary to bring him to this role.
It's nearly a documentary on him, or at least that's the feeling one gets.
So, whether that's intended or not, it simply adds more praise to what he's done in this film.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:44 PM

:down: God I found this to be a low budget film not worth watching. As far as Tomei I find her to be a hot woman but not in this.
I say don't wast your time.

#3 OFFLINE   Dario33

Dario33

Godfather

• Registered
  • 486 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:04 PM

Going to a screening tonight -- can't wait!

#4 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,480 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:59 PM

Here is a pretty interesting read about Rourke and his career,from Yahoo.

http://oscars.movies...for-how-long?nc

Rourke's pal Bruce Springsteen talked a little bit about him during his Super Bowl press conference in Tampa,FL earlier today too.

Steve

#5 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:09 AM

I give it 4 stars. What acting!

#6 OFFLINE   Adam Richey

Adam Richey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationKokomo, IN

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:09 PM

The Wrestler easily deserves a few Academy Awards. Setting aside my bias as a wrestling fan, the way they told the story and how true so much of it is just makes it amazing. I strongly recommend people go see The Wrestler, especially sports movie fans. The Wrestler does a great job of putting out there that wrestling destroys your body just like other sports do, and pro wrestlers in general deserve a lot more credit for what they go through (even at WWE's level, where you have to factor in politicking).
Anybody else wonder just how horrible WWE's "wrestling" is gonna get?

#7 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:14 PM

The Wrestler easily deserves a few Academy Awards. Setting aside my bias as a wrestling fan, the way they told the story and how true so much of it is just makes it amazing. I strongly recommend people go see The Wrestler, especially sports movie fans. The Wrestler does a great job of putting out there that wrestling destroys your body just like other sports do, and pro wrestlers in general deserve a lot more credit for what they go through (even at WWE's level, where you have to factor in politicking).

Maybe when they admit its fake I'll give them more credit. Till then its just a bunch of guys getting together and circle jerking each other!!

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:39 PM

I may catch it on Blu-Ray but I find going to a theatre is a complete waste when the subject matter is serious and sensitive.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,084 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:42 PM

Its always nice to see a total burnout who screwed up their lives still can manage to come back and make something of themselves.

Yeah...and Mickey too....:D

This is a Blockbuster candidate....I agree that seeing it in a commercial theater could be an experience of regret.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#10 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:53 AM

Its always nice to see a total burnout who screwed up their lives still can manage to come back and make something of themselves.

Yeah...and Mickey too....:D

This is a Blockbuster candidate....I agree that seeing it in a commercial theater could be an experience of regret.

:biggthump
It's about time someone gets it.

#11 OFFLINE   Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:46 PM

did anyone see Mickey get get called out on Larry king? That was an akward moment.

#12 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:10 AM

It wasn't Mickey's fault - it was a nut from WWE...

This is not a film about wrestling. Wrestling is a subtext for a the classic struggle of mn versus himself.

The scene in the American Legion hall were the old wrestlers came to sign autographs will remain with me forever

Very moving. Very powerfull.

Why wouldn't you see this film in a theater? This is a film that should be seen in as a community experience.

#13 OFFLINE   Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:55 AM

i saw tonight where Micky plans to take part in an upcoming event an is going to wrestle the guy who was mouthing off to him on Larry king. It appears it may have been staged to promote that. I guess I fell for it. lol

#14 OFFLINE   Italia

Italia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:44 AM

i saw tonight where Micky plans to take part in an upcoming event an is going to wrestle the guy who was mouthing off to him on Larry king. It appears it may have been staged to promote that. I guess I fell for it. lol

Yeah, Micky Rourke will be facing Chris Jericho at Wrestlemania this year. Rourke is currently training with Afa the Wild Samoan (the Rock's uncle). Afa is a former wrestler and now a wrestling trainer. Wrestlemania has always had some sort of celebrity or non-wrestling athlete involved in the card.

#15 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:53 AM

Why wouldn't you see this film in a theater? This is a film that should be seen in as a community experience.

Well I know in my case, trying to watch something thought provoking in a theater is hard to do. You have people talking, texting, laughing, and just overall disturbing the peace and quiet of the theater. I like watching stuff like this at home and the theaters for the big budget action movies that, while awesome in my setup, just need to be experienced on the big screen.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#16 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,084 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:10 PM

Why wouldn't you see this film in a theater?

Uhhh......cause its not worth the $20+ price of admission....:D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#17 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:11 PM

Well I know in my case, trying to watch something thought provoking in a theater is hard to do. You have people talking, texting, laughing, and just overall disturbing the peace and quiet of the theater. I like watching stuff like this at home and the theaters for the big budget action movies that, while awesome in my setup, just need to be experienced on the big screen.

I guess with too many people walking out it can be very distracting. :rolleyes:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...