Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Three MPEG2 HD channels going away

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,901 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:48 PM

Caught this post by srenker over at SatGuys, http://www.satellite...annel-77-a.html

Channel 77 has been added, informing customers that the following MPEG2 HD channels will be discontinued soon:
Showtime
HDNet Movies
Universal HD

The slides (played with a Sirius XM station as audio) tell customers how to tune the MPEG4 channels and what to do if they have old equipment that won't receive MPEG4.

Wonder what plans D* has for that bandwidth when they free it up?

Edit: (tom robertson) More details are posted below, copied here for those just starting this thread:

At this time, there are two alternating slides on channel 77:

HD Channels of Showtime, HDNet Movies, Universal HD are transitioning to New Satellites

What does this mean for me?

You may need our latest HD equipment to view them on their new channel numbers:

537, 552, and 269

How do I know if I have proper HD compatible equipment?

The next slide illustrates a simple HD self test.

How do I know if I have the right HD equipment?

Here is a simple self-test for HD customers with Showtime, HDNet Movies and/or Universal HD channels.

Showtime customers, can you see channel 537?
HDnet Movies customers, can you see channel 552?
Universal HD customers, can you see channel 259?

If you can see the channel of the service you subscribe to, you have the correct HD equipment.

If you are unable to see these HD channels then you likely need a replacement HD Dish and/or HD receivers(s).
Please call 1-888-763-7772 to see if you qualify for a FREE HD Dish and/or HD receiver(s) replacement.

So if you know anyone who is still on MPEG2 and HD, let them know there will be fewer channels MPEG2 channels. We're seeing the signs of the last ones.

Peace,
Tom

Edited by Tom Robertson, 08 January 2009 - 10:30 PM.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:25 PM

I added the satellite location for all of the MPEG2 HD channels to the thread a few days ago:

http://www.dbstalk.c...378#post1191378

Two are on 110° and one on 119°.

Total of 13 MPEG2 HD channels.

Need to move non-core (international?) content to 110°/119°, to free up space on 101° for national HD.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#3 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,901 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:30 PM

Need to move non-core (international?) content to 110°/119°, to free up space on 101° for national HD.

Or to allow some international from 95.0 to move to 110/119 so they don't need the 2nd dish for some packages?

#4 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:39 PM

Or to allow some international from 95.0 to move to 110/119 so they don't need the 2nd dish for some packages?

Oh yeah, there are other ways to use the bandwidth on 110°/119°, but if we want to use the MPEG2 HD bandwidth for more national MPEG4 HD then we need the space on 101°. So they would need to move SD "non-core" content from 101° to 110°/119°.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#5 OFFLINE   beavis

beavis

Icon

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:52 PM

I'm guessing they probably won't do anything to 119, cause it'll free up bandwidth for Jadeworld/Spanish/locals.

#6 OFFLINE   garbec

garbec

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:38 PM

When?

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,901 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:43 PM

When?

It doesn't say, just says they're "Transitioning to New Satellites", no time frame mentioned. It does say if you can't receive 537. 552 and/or 259 to call 1-888-763-7772 to see you qualify for a FREE (their caps) HD dish and/or HD receiver(s) replacement.

#8 OFFLINE   hiker

hiker

Icon

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:44 PM

According to the thread here it's supposed to be this month but chan 77 has no date.
DirecTV customer since 1994
DirecTV H23-600 0x462c
DirecTV HR20-100 (qty 4) 0x62c
DirecTV HR20-700 (qty 5) 0x62c
TiVo Series 3 Comcast

#9 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:45 PM

I suspect we'll see the International packages going Mpeg4 if they do transition to 110/119. You are already going to have to look at going out and redoing installs and it is another area to get the ball rolling for the mpeg 4 conversion. Also I think they are currently using more transponders on 95 than they are going to free up from turning off these hd channels so would need to do mpeg4 for it to fit.

Shifting some SD "non core" content from 101 to 110/119 could free up some space for actual mpeg4 hd on 101 to cover the seemingly missing 10 channels of HD capacity. It seems like that would end up taking a while tho especially if they also shift to mpeg4 and require receiver swaps. So far the Mpeg2 hd shut off is taking long enough and that transition has been in process since the HR20 and h20 where released a couple years ago.

#10 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:48 PM

Also I think they are currently using more transponders on 95 than they are going to free up from turning off these hd channels.

Ah nothing a bit more compression can't solve. Some of the channels on 95 are just too nasty to even look at compression wise.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#11 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:49 PM

I suspect we'll see the International packages going Mpeg4 if they do transition to 110/119.

And upgrade all these customers to HD IRDs. Where is that money coming from?

#12 OFFLINE   GaryPotter

GaryPotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:50 PM

I'm surprised they didn't do this much sooner.

#13 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:51 PM

I'm surprised they didn't do this much sooner.

I think we'll all be surprised how many MPEG2 cust still are out there.

#14 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:03 PM

Ah nothing a bit more compression can't solve. Some of the channels on 95 are just too nasty to even look at compression wise.

Assuming they go MPEG4 on the channels it could easily end up improving the quality. Mpeg 4 is a more efficient codec and the mpeg4 HD channels are both lower bit rate and much better quality than the MPEG2 HD channels.

As far as where the money is going to come from since DirecTV would be forcing the change I'd assume they would upgrades peoples receiver for no charge to the customer like they have been swapping hr10-250's to hr2X's. It will cost DirecTV some money up front but will end up saving them money in the long run since future international installs will only require a single dish simplifying installs and reducing their international customer acquisition costs also making it much easier to add it to existing customers packages. Additionally they won't have to continue renting the sat space at 95.

Consolidating to a single dish for all installs and eliminating their 2 rented sat locations seem to be goals that DirecTV is working towards.

I think we still are quite a ways from converting their entire install base of SD customers over to MPEG4 but I expect they will continue to move smaller subsets over to mpeg4. International packages, Sports pack subs, specific DMAs as some examples of groups that can all be migrated to Mpeg4 for SD as subsets of the overall subscriber base.

#15 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:27 PM

I think we'll all be surprised how many MPEG2 cust still are out there.

Many customers living in apartment buildings and multi-unit condos have trouble with the larger dish.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#16 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:35 PM

I can confirm ...

As most of you know, DIRECTV has been dual-illuminating a number of channels in both MPEG2 and MPEG4 HD. The following channels are slated for removal in late February and a few slides are running right now on Channel 77:

• 71 - Showtime
  • 74 - UHD
  • 78 - HDNet Movies

A crawl will appear 3 times at the top of each hour advising you to tune to Channel 77 for additional information. Here, you should be able to check whether or not you are adversely affected or not.

If you have an MPEG4 HD receiver, you will continue to receive these channels, but they will no longer be available on 71, 74 and 78. You will instead need to tune to channels 537, 259 and 552 respectively.

Edited by Doug Brott, 08 January 2009 - 10:11 PM.

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#17 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:18 PM

Great news!

that should, in theory, improve SD PQ, right? IIRC, each of these takes up the space of 6 SD channels. That's a lot of bits freed up.

#18 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:20 PM

At this time, there are two alternating slides on channel 77:

HD Channels of Showtime, HDNet Movies, Universal HD are transitioning to New Satellites

What does this mean for me?

You may need our latest HD equipment to view them on their new channel numbers:

537, 552, and 269

How do I know if I have proper HD compatible equipment?

The next slide illustrates a simple HD self test.

How do I know if I have the right HD equipment?

Here is a simple self-test for HD customers with Showtime, HDNet Movies and/or Universal HD channels.

Showtime customers, can you see channel 537?
HDnet Movies customers, can you see channel 552?
Universal HD customers, can you see channel 259?

If you can see the channel of the service you subscribe to, you have the correct HD equipment.

If you are unable to see these HD channels then you likely need a replacement HD Dish and/or HD receivers(s).
Please call 1-888-763-7772 to see if you qualify for a FREE HD Dish and/or HD receiver(s) replacement.

So if you know anyone who is still on MPEG2 and HD, let them know there will be fewer channels MPEG2 channels. We're seeing the signs of the last ones.

Peace,
Tom

#19 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:23 PM

In theory yes, but since these are on satellites 110° and 119°, they will have little direct effect on the bulk of the SD channels which are on 101°. Now, if some other movements occur, it could help with SD; but I'm not sure there is anything that would move to 110°/119°.

The goal seems to be to have all the core programming on 99°, 101°, and 103° with only some specialized programming on 110/119.

Cheers,
Tom

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,653 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:24 AM

Great news!

that should, in theory, improve SD PQ, right? IIRC, each of these takes up the space of 6 SD channels. That's a lot of bits freed up.

Nah.. they will use it for other channels...

spam firewall