Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Three MPEG2 HD channels going away

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,639 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

Honestly, this will make searching for shows a bit easier. Rather than having to sift through results looking for the MP4 version.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:18 AM

Basically, if you have a "new" setup .. say in the last 2-3 years you are probably OK .. but it doesn't hurt to go through the check if you have a chance.

This change will affect only a small portion of subscribers and most of those folks probably already know about it just don't know when (until now).
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#23 OFFLINE   satjoe

satjoe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:44 PM

Or to allow some international from 95.0 to move to 110/119 so they don't need the 2nd dish for some packages?

We are being told that we will be moving to the one dish solution. 110 and 119 will be used for locals and international channels. Direct tv will be abandening the use of 95 and the 72 sats.

#24 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:13 PM

It doesn't say, just says they're "Transitioning to New Satellites", no time frame mentioned. It does say if you can't receive 537. 552 and/or 259 to call 1-888-763-7772 to see you qualify for a FREE (their caps) HD dish and/or HD receiver(s) replacement.

The "when" is coming soon....I know, you guys hate that. Unofficially, February they are coming down, but obviously those things can change.

Customers have been notified with automated calls, emails, direct mail, live agent calls for months and months so this is basically the last notification by putting the crawl up on the channel directly.

Not many customers left have to switch, but it is going to happen and it's sooner rather than later.

There are still other MPEG2 HD channels that will remain after, like ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, etc....but those are next to come down...after these three.

To answer someone else's question, the swap is for free for the KaKu dish and replacement of the old HD receivers. The swapped receiver will be leased, not owned. There is no commitment for the swap.

#25 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:03 AM

In theory yes, but since these are on satellites 110° and 119°, they will have little direct effect on the bulk of the SD channels which are on 101°. Now, if some other movements occur, it could help with SD; but I'm not sure there is anything that would move to 110°/119°.

The goal seems to be to have all the core programming on 99°, 101°, and 103° with only some specialized programming on 110/119.

Cheers,
Tom

Does this mean that the days of the 5 LNB dish are ending? A smaller 101-centric dish would help in a lot of places.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#26 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:27 AM

Does this mean that the days of the 5 LNB dish are ending? A smaller 101-centric dish would help in a lot of places.

They've already got the Slimline 3 dish that only looks at 99, 101, and 103.

#27 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:39 AM

Well, there are a couple parts to your answer: 1) (as Jeremy W points out) many areas are already getting a new 3lnb head for the slimline dish. My expectations are that will be the primary head for most basic customers soon.

2) But I don't expect the slimline dish to go away or change. While some people have shown you can make a smaller dish "work", I expect DIRECTV will keep the full-sized slimline to keep the signal strengths up in all weather conditions. I also admit, I could be guessing wrong. :)

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#28 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:32 AM

Directv has already begun installing a smaller dish, but it still has to be large enough to cover 99-101-103 because all of the MPEG4 HD (and a very few SD markets) are coming from 99 and 103. The Slimline 3 is getting installed in many locations for customers that don't require access to 110 and 119.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#29 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,925 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:40 AM

Directv has already begun installing a smaller dish, but it still has to be large enough to cover 99-101-103 because all of the MPEG4 HD (and a very few SD markets) are coming from 99 and 103. The Slimline 3 is getting installed in many locations for customers that don't require access to 110 and 119.

You sure it's actually a smaller dish? AFAIK it's the same Slimline dish that's used with both the 99/101/103 and 99/101/103/110/119 LNB's.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#30 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:57 AM

You sure it's actually a smaller dish? AFAIK it's the same Slimline dish that's used with both the 99/101/103 and 99/101/103/110/119 LNB's.

I was under the impression it was physically somewhat smaller since it didn't have to cover 110 and 119. Perhaps I was mistaken. :confused:

In any event, any of them are smaller than my trusty AT-9. :grin:

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

spam firewall