Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Thinking Of Switching To E*, Need Advice

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JayPSU

JayPSU

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:35 PM

As the the thread title says, I'm debating switching to E* but obviously I want to get some input from everyone. I'm interested in E* because I'm a movie buff and they have more movie channels and it looks like D* may not add more until D12 goes up and is live. I also greatly prefer the 722 to D's HR21. However, I think Directv's PQ is slightly better and I'd like to avoid the hassle of tearing the dish's down, sending the boxes back, doing an all new install, etc. So here's my biggest question. Does it seem likely that Directv will hold off on adding more movie channels until D12 is launched and live, or will they be here soon? This will be the number 1 deciding factor to me. Thanks, guys!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:41 PM

I think they will start focusing on my HD national channels as they come to a close on adding HD locals (which has been their priority so far).

No 100% idea though.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#3 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:42 PM

As the the thread title says, I'm debating switching to E* but obviously I want to get some input from everyone. I'm interested in E* because I'm a movie buff and they have more movie channels and it looks like D* may not add more until D12 goes up and is live. I also greatly prefer the 722 to D's HR21. However, I think Directv's PQ is slightly better and I'd like to avoid the hassle of tearing the dish's down, sending the boxes back, doing an all new install, etc. So here's my biggest question. Does it seem likely that Directv will hold off on adding more movie channels until D12 is launched and live, or will they be here soon? This will be the number 1 deciding factor to me. Thanks, guys!

No one that knows upcomming channel launches is going to be able to say. Anything else will be pure speculation.

Compare the two and go with whoever you think will better serve you today.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#4 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,645 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:43 PM

Until they start announcing and adding more national channels, your guess is as good as anyone's as to when and what.....

But really, with DirecTV's current selection of movie channel in HD, there's tons of selections.....

#5 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:45 PM

Why don't you keep DirecTV and just add Netflix? Seems like a whole lot of trouble to go through to switch carriers just to get a couple more channels that repeat movies over and over again. For a movie buff, Netflix gives you a vast library at a reasonable price.
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#6 OFFLINE   techdimwit

techdimwit

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:59 PM

Echoing the good thoughts on Netflix. That's what we far and away prefer to watching premium movie channels which are unbearably repetitive. Besides movies, I can get stuff from the UK that I enjoy and having the DVD in my hand gives me access to additional material, commentaries, etc. Netflix has an amazing inventory and there's a price to meet everyone's need.

At the end of the day, it's your call. If it's worth it to go through changing one satellite company for another, knock yourself out. Good luck with whatever you decide.

#7 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:14 PM

I stream Netflix Instant selections through my HR2x using PlayOn and get the ones not available online, through the mail. It works so good I am thinking of dropping all the movie channels.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#8 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:32 AM

I pretty much watch only movies and NFL, so I won't switch because of Sunday Ticket. I have never really liked Dish, even though I did subscribe for a few years.

If I were you, I'd take a good long look at the schedules of the movie channels you'd be gaining from Dish and see if it will really make much of a difference. Over a period of time, I suspect we get virtually all those movies from the channels we have with DirecTV.

I would like DirecTV to add more premium movie channels...and I'd really like to see IFC HD...but I have no problem finding enough movies to fill all my TV time with the channels DirecTV already offers.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:20 AM

Perhaps, based on your priorities, you might be able to make a better assessment later in 2009, once you get some firm information on the various situations on HD channels, etc. with both providers...

Right now, it is what it is with both providers...and most everything else is speculation.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#10 OFFLINE   Piratefan98

Piratefan98

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:02 AM

I think the usual cast must be on vacation, so I'll take care of responding to this post.

Don't let the door hit you on the *** on your way out.

Buh-bye

Jeff :)

#11 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,925 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:38 AM

I guess I'd ask, how importing is the E*'s STB's features to you over the D* picture quality? To me I spend more time watching TV then playing with a STB, yea it may be slower on the GUI but I get full rez HD, not HD-Lite like on E*.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#12 OFFLINE   Spike

Spike

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:04 AM

t I get full rez HD, not HD-Lite like on E*.

:D

Ahhhhhh! Like a breath of fresh air!
Holy Cow! The Cubs?

#13 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:11 AM

Not sure I would switch to Dish just for a few extra movie channels that repeat what is already on the other couple dozen available already on DirecTV, but to each his own. And if you expect them to be added to DirecTV in the next 6-9 months why switch for just 6 months? Seems like a lot of work for not gaining a whole lot a year from now. Just my initial thought though.

I would echo the Netflix thought though. I dropped all the movie channels over a year ago and got Netflix. I save over 30 bucks a month and get better quality movies plus access to tons of TV shows and UK stuff as mentioned above. I just can't see paying all that money for movie channels for the 2-3 new movies a month they might show. And now with Netflix streaming thru to the HR2x via PlayOn you get even more "I gotta watch it now" options.

I know that doesn't work for everyone but why not give it a try for the next year or less while the dust settles on what Dish and DirecTV will do with their new sats this year. I think you'll have a much clearer picture of the direction of both companies this time next year.

#14 OFFLINE   HDRoberts

HDRoberts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:33 AM

No guarantee DirecTV will add more channels with D12, either. Everybody thought there would be huge launches with D11, but you see how that turned out. All DirecTV has ever promised is capacity for channels, not actual channels.

I might wait on Dish, though. The 922 receiver, which will have a built in Slingbox, is promised by late spring. Also, Feb. is likely to bring us more channels. They have specifically mentioned Viacom channels, a couple of Fox channels, and some more Showtimes.

PQ is a much debated topic. I'm perfectly happy with Dish's quality. So are many others. Seems mainly the huge videophiles and those with 110" projection screens are the ones complaining the most. Your mileage may vary, or course.

#15 OFFLINE   dshu82

dshu82

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:34 AM

My next door neighbor has Dish, and I agree there is a noticeable difference in PQ, with my D* being much better. He has a Vizio, 50", 720P set and have noticed on football games, and various other channels a difference. Not as sharp.....

Compared to the Vizio 42" 720p I have in my bedroom.....

Edited by dshu82, 09 January 2009 - 10:37 AM.
Compared to my TV.....

D* customer since 1997

#16 OFFLINE   Crypter

Crypter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 454 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:23 AM

Personally I prefer to watch movies in my Home Theater with my Blu-Ray player so I use NetFlix for Blu-Ray movies and neither DTV or DISH can come close to the AUDIO/VIDEO quality offered from Blu-Ray.

#17 OFFLINE   JayPSU

JayPSU

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:14 PM

Thanks for all of the input, guys. I think I'm going to wait until the Hockey season is over and see where we're at by then (April). I was going to be keeping Directv with a basic package until then anyway since I subscribe to NHL Center Ice regardless of whether I picked up Dish. I think by April we'll at least have information as to what Directv plans to do.

BTW, to the poster who mentioned using Netflix and PlayON to stream Netflix movies to our HR2X's, how does that work? Are there HD options. Can someone point me to a link detailing this? Thanks again guys.

#18 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:07 AM

Thanks for all of the input, guys. I think I'm going to wait until the Hockey season is over and see where we're at by then (April). I was going to be keeping Directv with a basic package until then anyway since I subscribe to NHL Center Ice regardless of whether I picked up Dish. I think by April we'll at least have information as to what Directv plans to do.

I'd be very careful even thinking that Dish will keep Center Ice after their current contract is over. They didn't reup Extra Innings and then this year they didn't reup League Pass (and didn't tell anybody until after the season started). It's pretty obvious that Charlie has abandoned sports even more then usual and I wouldn't doubt Center Ice gets the ax next. You never know but the writing is on the wall.

BTW, to the poster who mentioned using Netflix and PlayON to stream Netflix movies to our HR2X's, how does that work? Are there HD options. Can someone point me to a link detailing this? Thanks again guys.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=146003

Netflix doesn't stream HD right now (no matter what) and the streaming library is limited but growing. Between that and getting a disc or two a week I think you'd be all covered for movies. Oh, PlayOn's biggest feature really (in my opinion) is streaming from Hulu and there are ton's of movies there as well from NBC Uni and Fox.

#19 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:32 PM

E* did eventually get LP again albeit about a week or two late.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#20 OFFLINE   CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:52 AM

I stream Netflix Instant selections through my HR2x using PlayOn and get the ones not available online, through the mail. It works so good I am thinking of dropping all the movie channels.

I second this, and I am glad to see you are considering it. You can also stream Hulu through PlayOn. For $30 and using your existing home PC, it's a good deal. My wife and I watch at least one movie and two or three TV episodes per week on Netflix/Hulu via PlayOn through our HR-22.

And, most DVDs we get from Netflix in the mail in our upconverted DVD player look just as good (if not better) than most Dish Network or DirecTV HD content.
Two HR22-100 HD DVRs on HDTVs, both MRV; also running PlayOn, Boxee

spam firewall