Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Thinking Of Switching To E*, Need Advice

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   cmtar

cmtar

Icon

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:44 AM

I'm debating switching to E*

Have you lost your mind!!!!!!
:nono2:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:20 PM

Have you lost your mind!!!!!!
:nono2:

People do it every day (and vice versa).

As Peter said on Family Guy, "...what might be right for you, might not be right for some. You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have... my opening statement. Sit Bobo, sit. Good dog." :D
Two HR22-100 HD DVRs on HDTVs, both MRV; also running PlayOn, Boxee

#23 OFFLINE   NOLANSKI

NOLANSKI

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:48 PM

I think the usual cast must be on vacation, so I'll take care of responding to this post.

Don't let the door hit you on the *** on your way out.

Buh-bye

Jeff :)

Heh Heh this must be your canned response to anyone thinking of leaving.:rolleyes:

#24 OFFLINE   QuickDrop

QuickDrop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:56 PM

I second this, and I am glad to see you are considering it. You can also stream Hulu through PlayOn. For $30 and using your existing home PC, it's a good deal. My wife and I watch at least one movie and two or three TV episodes per week on Netflix/Hulu via PlayOn through our HR-22.

And, most DVDs we get from Netflix in the mail in our upconverted DVD player look just as good (if not better) than most Dish Network or DirecTV HD content.

I third this (well, maybe not entirely about the picture quality.)

Since it's increasingly unlikely there will be more HBOs before D12, I would wait to see when a launch date is actually set to decide. If it's July and there's still no date, switch if the channels are important to you.

#25 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:11 PM

Netflix doesn't stream HD right now (no matter what)

They stream HD to PCs, Xbox 360s, and a growing number of Blu-Ray players.

#26 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:34 PM

Netflix doesn't stream HD right now ....

Not true. I've had at least two movies show "HD" just to the right of the progress bar as they were loading, and they definitely looked that good, too. (Using LG BD300 for Netflix streaming).
-GA

#27 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:38 PM

As the the thread title says, I'm debating switching to E* ....

I was a long time Dishnetwork sub until the fall of 2007. DIRECTV was adding Sci-fi HD in time for the season premier of Stargate Atlantis. I did a self install and finished with about 10 minutes to spare before Stargate Atlantis. :D

IMO, the picture quality of SD channels was slightly better on Dishnetwork. I believe the picture quality on HD channels is close to the same on both, while DIRECTV may look better on some TVs. (I'm viewing on a Sony Bravia 60" KDS-60A3000).

So, IMO, all things considered, it comes down to which provider has the channels you want.
-GA

#28 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:44 PM

Not true. I've had at least two movies show "HD" just to the right of the progress bar as they were loading, and they definitely looked that good, too. (Using LG BD300 for Netflix streaming).

The latest that I just read up is that HD streaming is not available via "watch instantly" queue on the PC. Thus it can't be streamed from there thru PlayOn (or anything else) to your DVR. HD streaming is available thru the "direct" streaming services such as the 360. I apologize for my confusing post above.

spam firewall