Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FOXE HD (398) Available for the BCS Champ

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Crypter

Crypter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 454 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:18 PM

This is great! I do not get HD Locals from DTV so this is huge. Are they going to start offering all BIG sporting events on the DNS HD channels???

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tater71

tater71

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:12 AM

It's great that D* does this but how about letting their costumers know. I watched the whole game in SD!

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:44 AM

One must learn to surf the channels these days. :)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   jtcrusader

jtcrusader

Legend

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:46 AM

Would love for them to do this with the NBC feed for the Super Bowl.
A-V Gear.
[B]Slimline Dish...No multi-switch
Radio Shack 15-2187 Antenna for local HD
H20-600 w/ component cables
Pany TH50PZ80 Plasma
Pany SA-HT900 Home Theater
HIRD-E1 Recievers (2). Wife's sewing room and son's BR
Pany PT-53WX42F RPTV in basement
GAEBOA in Master BR.

#5 OFFLINE   jlatham

jlatham

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:57 AM

I was looking for it on channel 88 last night. What's the difference between the two?

#6 OFFLINE   Crypter

Crypter

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 454 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:20 AM

Would love for them to do this with the NBC feed for the Super Bowl.

I have a hunch they will. I wish we could confirm it though. I need to make plans for the SB and knowing I can watch it in HD at home is a nice thing to know ahead of time.

#7 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:31 AM

I'd be happy if they turned it on during baseball season on Saturday mornings...

#8 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,172 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:50 AM

I was looking for it on channel 88 last night. What's the difference between the two?

channel 88 is the mpeg2 version and the other is the mpeg4 counterpart!

#9 OFFLINE   T_N_T

T_N_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:04 PM

I checked the channel when the game started and it was not turned on, they must have turned it on after the game started.

#10 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:25 PM

What I do not understand is with all the fuss there has been over the years by the lawmakers in Washington D.C. about these Distant Networks Why all of a sudden are these channels being turned on at certain times? I'm not complaining about them being turned on I just don't understand why they won't allow everyone who wants to subscribe to them why they just won't allow us to have them full time. I know the local broadcasters would be angry but still if we as customers are willing to subscribe to them why won't they just let us have them? I tell you things like this are REALLY screwed up and the logic of it puzzles me as to WHY they just won't allow Satellite Customers to receive the Distant Networks Full Time. Someone really needs to help change these crazy laws about television.

#11 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,998 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:21 PM

I believe that they are only turned on when/if there are issues with the locals.

#12 OFFLINE   Crypter

Crypter

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 454 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:47 PM

I believe that they are only turned on when/if there are issues with the locals.

Well I got a BIG problem with my locals.... I don't get them in HD. Like Msguy says, for those of us who cannot get locals from DTV (HD) we should have the option of getting the DNS locals WITHOUT NEEDING A WAIVER.

#13 OFFLINE   jlatham

jlatham

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:17 PM

Well I got a BIG problem with my locals.... I don't get them in HD. Like Msguy says, for those of us who cannot get locals from DTV (HD) we should have the option of getting the DNS locals WITHOUT NEEDING A WAIVER.

Amen brother. If 88 is turned on will the mpeg 4 alternative always be on by default? I actually added the channels in my program guide recently.

#14 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:35 PM

The East Coast Distant Network Feeds have been turned on before for me recently and we were having no issues with our local feeds. The New York Distant Network Feeds were on and so were my locals. But they would get turned off around 10 p.m. So I know it wasn't just a "Local" issue. For some reason these channels are turned on.

#15 OFFLINE   T_N_T

T_N_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:47 AM

The East Coast Distant Network Feeds have been turned on before for me recently and we were having no issues with our local feeds. The New York Distant Network Feeds were on and so were my locals. But they would get turned off around 10 p.m. So I know it wasn't just a "Local" issue. For some reason these channels are turned on.

They can't just turn them on for one market, if they turn them on every subscriber will be able to see them, even if you have an HD box but don't subscribe to HD channels you will be able to see them.

#16 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:12 PM

What Lawmakers should allow for is to have 1 City for each Timezone be designated as that Time Zone's Distant Network Locals. They should allow us to receive our local channels free if they are available on DirecTv or Dish Network in addition the option for every subscriber to add the 1 distant network city. an example of this would be East Coast Subscribers get N.Y. Locals. Central Time Zone Subscribers get Chicago Feeds. Mountain Time Zone Subscribers get Denver Locals and West Coast Subscribers get Los Angeles Locals. That is what I wish they would allow.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...