Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question about snow removal from dish

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   packersjd43

packersjd43

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:07 PM

Hello All,

I have searched this site along with many other sites about this question. I have a pretty good amount of snow built up on my dish right now. It is on the roof off my garage and we are in the middle of a snow storm. I still have pretty good stats on all sat's, but am worried it will get worse as they are predicting another 5-9 inches tonight. My question is, will spraying the dish with a windshield washer de-icer product hurt the dish. I cannot physically get to it to clear the snow off, and am looking for a simple solution.

Or if anyone else has any good ideas that can be done from the ground, it would be appreciated.

And yes I know all about dish heaters...however this has only happened twice in the three years I have had D*, and am just paranoid that it will go out right before the start of the playoffs tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks,
J.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:10 PM

Yep, that'll be just fine. You can use a super soaker or something or a broom with a large handle.

#3 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

In the past 8 years of being a DirecTV customer, only TWICE has snow caused so much signal degradation that I had to clean off the dish (and we get a LOT of snow here in Wisconsin!)

The times this happened, it was a very unusual wet snow that literally covered the dish so you almost couldn't recognize it. Snow doesn't affect the DirecTV signal nearly as much as a heavy downpour of rain.

I wouldn't try any of those goofy coatings or heaters, though. They may damage the dish. Usually a good whisk broom treatment fixes the problem. If your dish is up on a roof or beyond reach, you might be able to come up with a broom attached to a long pole. But worst case scenario the snow will usually melt and fall off the dish within a day or two anyway.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#4 OFFLINE   intelisevil

intelisevil

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:37 AM

I've had quite a bit of snow stuck to my dish recently with no lose of signal. The only thing that has caused problems is when snow gets stuck on the vertical surface of the LNBs.

A small push broom head on the end of my extension painting pole (about 16' long) has been doing the trick for me.

#5 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:47 AM

my sis & her husband found a good way to remove snow from their dish....they moved to santa barbara.

Edited by dcowboy7, 10 January 2009 - 01:03 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:50 PM

Dish heaters work great and don't damage the dish. If your dish is out of reach, they are the only real, safe solution.

To the OP: don't spray any chemicals on your dish. Water only. Warm water in a Super Soaker can work, or a garden hose hooked to warm water.

#7 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:15 PM

Snow has never been an issue for me and we get snow in NH,Summer Time Thunderstorms are the issue.
What i have ssen worked for others is get your self an air compressor ,a pole,50 ft of hose,some 1/4 inch npt fittings and a valve, and shoot air off your dish,Just put the valve down low so you can on/off regulate the flow
Jimmy

#8 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:09 PM

Had a lot of snow on mine and SD signals in 80s HD in 60s, dusted it off with a broom and back to 90s.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#9 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:08 PM

Dish heaters work great and don't damage the dish. If your dish is out of reach, they are the only real, safe solution.

To the OP: don't spray any chemicals on your dish. Water only. Warm water in a Super Soaker can work, or a garden hose hooked to warm water.

Only water is needed to melt snow.

Despite what most people say, most chemicals won't harm the dish if occasionally used. Windshield washer fluid works well. These chemicals could damage the LNB, so how good of an aim do you have?

If you're still getting signal, don't worry about it. It'll fall off or melt eventually.

#10 OFFLINE   alluddy

alluddy

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

I live in Tahoe...Lots of snow ! 3 or 4 months ago I sprayed my dish with PAM and have not lost my signal because of snow since,

#11 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:50 AM

The amount of snow that builds up on your dish depends on its elevation angle, in addition to how much snow you get at your location.

The dishes that are more nearly vertical (such as up north) may not get as much snow and ice buildup as those in mid-latitudes, even though there is more snow up north, because more moisture slides off the dish at higher latitudes.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#12 OFFLINE   gcvt

gcvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:09 AM

Does anyone still run high-wattage incandescent bulbs under their dishes to melt snow buildup? That's old school style ;)

Edited by gcvt, 12 January 2009 - 06:19 AM.

Television: Vizio GV47L
Living Room R22-100
Bedroom: RCA DRD515RB
Blu-ray Player: Sony PS3
DVD Player: Oppo DV-970HD
Dolby Audio: Onkyo 5.1 System
Preamp: Hafler 945
Amplifier: B&K Components ST-202+
Speakers: KEF Q90
Remote: Harmony 880

#13 OFFLINE   isuquinndog

isuquinndog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:33 AM

I live in Tahoe...Lots of snow ! 3 or 4 months ago I sprayed my dish with PAM and have not lost my signal because of snow since,

Thats what the tech said who installed my Dish. Spray it with PAM or something similar and nothing will stick to it.

#14 OFFLINE   olinr

olinr

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:08 AM

Hi All,

I wrap my dishes with black plastic trash bags. The snow slides off as well as the wind blowing the bags to shake the snow off.

Yes, black plastic trash bags are a cheap "radome". They are transparent to RF energy.

In December we had 18 inches of snow in the High Desert of Southern California!

Dick
Phelan, CA

spam firewall