Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Shadow Report: Acoustic Research Remotes to support DIRECTV RF

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
274 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   anubys

anubys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:46 AM

Get the Harmony that is made for the Xbox 360. It has the colored keys and they are in a perfect position. I've had one for over a year now and actually prefer it over my 880 just because of the colored buttons.

which one is that? I checked the web site and couldn't figure it out...
DVR Equipment:
1 HR20-100
2 HR21-100 (each upgraded to 1 TB)
2 HR22-100 (each upgraded to 1 TB)
AM21 hooked up to one HR21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:46 AM

Whoa, this thread is still alive and kicking, amazing Mr. Shadow!
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#223 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 08:38 AM

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000CCXCYC

#224 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:30 PM

Still in a "no news" situation... to the point where the contacts I made at CES are no longer answering my e-mails. I'd stick a fork in this one, honestly. I'm disappointed, but I guess my next remote will be another Harmony.

Man, that is some real sad news. I have been purposely avoiding combining all my remotes to one in anticipation. If you had their addresses, I would hire a team of teenagers to toilet paper each and every one of their houses. It is not nice to play with our emotions like that. Get our hopes up and then poo poo all over them.:nono2:

#225 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:37 PM

Man, that is some real sad news. I have been purposely avoiding combining all my remotes to one in anticipation. If you had their addresses, I would hire a team of teenagers to toilet paper each and every one of their houses. It is not nice to play with our emotions like that. Get our hopes up and then poo poo all over them.:nono2:

Totally agree. I don't understand why Harmony or the makers of the RC remotes hasn't come out with an all in one remote that has D* RF built into it by now.

#226 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,717 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:00 PM

Interesting, I can't find it on their site or Best Buy now. Maybe it's discontinued.

Here's a link to it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000CCXCYC

I may have to grab a second one since it looks like they quit making it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#227 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:49 PM

Totally agree. I don't understand why Harmony or the makers of the RC remotes hasn't come out with an all in one remote that has D* RF built into it by now.

I have been totally reliant on this rf remote to run both boxes. I was so exited to finally be able to combine both of my Escient and my Sunfire remote with them and clear off my end table.
Might be time to send a spirited email to AR.

#228 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:54 PM

I have been totally reliant on this rf remote to run both boxes. I was so exited to finally be able to combine both of my Escient and my Sunfire remote with them and clear off my end table.
Might be time to send a spirited email to AR.

Me too. That way I can keep my HR in RF mode and still be able to operate it in the rest of the house.

#229 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:54 PM

I found a rumor about an RF Logitech Harmony remote ... see the new thread in the Miscellaneous Equipment forum: http://www.dbstalk.c...478#post2180478

#230 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:55 AM

I found a rumor about an RF Logitech Harmony remote ... see the new thread in the Miscellaneous Equipment forum: http://www.dbstalk.c...478#post2180478

But will it be RF compatible with the HR's? I need a remote that has RF and IR all in one, so I can continue to use RF on other TV's in house, while still using RF and IR in the living room at the same time, without having to switch remotes. This is why I was hopeful for the AR remote.

Now if they ever fix the HR's so they can do both RF and IR, then something like that would be perfect.

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 11 August 2009 - 07:15 AM.

#231 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:15 AM

Now if they ever fix the HR's so they can do both RF and IR, then something like that would be perfect.

+1
HR34-700, HR22-100

#232 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:25 AM

If this is via an RF extender then it isn't as useable a solution as using RF codes from the STBs. When I used my 890 with the RF extender it is always a pain in the butt to update since I need both the extender and the remote to do this, and the extender is in the media closet a floor or two down. If it is a basic DirecTV RF programable for each STB, then you will get my attention. :)
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#233 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:22 PM

Xsight is in the wild according to THIS post. Thanks for the heads up, Capn.

#234 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

There is a thread on AVForums (started in June 2009) saying the schedule by Acoustic Research slipped and the xSight would be released in September, so hopefully this is the case and I can check it out in person very soon...

#235 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:02 PM

I'm a little worried about how the color and guide/menu/info/exit buttons are going feel, they look indented?

#236 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:04 PM

The do look a bit lower than the surface, don't they? However, on the xSight Color model the color keys appear to be raised, so it may just be an illusion that the Touch does not have raised keys. Either way, I definitely have to hold one in my hands and take it for a spin before being willing to commit ...

Posted Image

#237 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:08 PM

Interesting. Whats the big difference between the touch and the color, are they both RF?

The do look a bit lower than the surface, don't they? However, on the xSight Color model the color keys appear to be raised, so it may just be an illusion that the Touch does not have raised keys. Either way, I definitely have to hold one in my hands and take it for a spin before being willing to commit ...

Posted Image

#238 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:23 PM

Interesting. Whats the big difference between the touch and the color, are they both RF?

Check out the AR page here, it has links to the Touch and the Color pages with more info, but the
big difference is the Touch has a touch screen, has a recharge dock, is RF capable, while the Color has hard buttons instead of a touch screen and uses standard batteries. I'm pretty sure the price will be quite different between those models as well ... :P

#239 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:27 AM

I wonder if the delays have anything to do with XSight "Touch". Might Apple be upset at the use of "Touch" in the name. :scratchin

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#240 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,832 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:42 AM

I don't think Apple can, or has, copyrighted the word "Touch" for touchscreen devices.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall