Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Shadow Report: Acoustic Research Remotes to support DIRECTV RF

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
274 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:45 AM

Check out the AR page here, it has links to the Touch and the Color pages with more info, but the
big difference is the Touch has a touch screen, has a recharge dock, is RF capable, while the Color has hard buttons instead of a touch screen and uses standard batteries. I'm pretty sure the price will be quite different between those models as well ... :P

Is this the remote that was talked about as being able to control the HRxx's using RF? I saw this disclaimer at the bottom of the page "*XSight Touch is RF capable with added accessory model ARRE4338". So I watched the "Advanced Features" video and it appears to show an RF to IR extender. If so, it will be no different then what is already available form other remote manufacturers.
HR34-700, HR22-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:48 AM

That's not what I was told at CES... I was told the Touch would be true RF, and support DIRECTV remotes without an extender or blaster. Things may have changed in the meantime.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#243 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:53 AM

That's not what I was told at CES... I was told the Touch would be true RF, and support DIRECTV remotes without an extender or blaster. Things may have changed in the meantime.

I believe you were mislead or things have changed, here is a link to the description of the extender: Extender
HR34-700, HR22-100

#244 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:57 AM

Well, based on the fact that they do not return my calls or e-mails, or even direct me to the right person when I call anonymously, you may be right :)

#245 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:12 AM

Well, based on the fact that they do not return my calls or e-mails, or even direct me to the right person when I call anonymously, you may be right :)

If it's true, its one less high priced gadget that I would have wanted.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#246 OFFLINE   Max Mike

Max Mike

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:10 PM

Is this the remote that was talked about as being able to control the HRxx's using RF? I saw this disclaimer at the bottom of the page "*XSight Touch is RF capable with added accessory model ARRE4338". So I watched the "Advanced Features" video and it appears to show an RF to IR extender. If so, it will be no different then what is already available form other remote manufacturers.

I do not know if that means anything in relation to DirecTV RF capabilities. Even if the remote has DirecTV RF control it would almost certainly still use the traditional universal RF remote extender for other IR equipment that was in a closed closet or cabinet.

ETA: One would think if the remote has DirecTV RF capabilities that would be highlighted or just mentioned somewhere on the web site or in the current brochures and it is not.

Edited by Max Mike, 20 August 2009 - 01:38 PM.

#247 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:42 AM

I do not know if that means anything in relation to DirecTV RF capabilities. Even if the remote has DirecTV RF control it would almost certainly still use the traditional universal RF remote extender for other IR equipment that was in a closed closet or cabinet.

ETA: One would think if the remote has DirecTV RF capabilities that would be highlighted or just mentioned somewhere on the web site or in the current brochures and it is not.

I guess we will know for sure once they release it. My first inclination from this disclaimer "XSight Touch is RF capable with added accessory" is that the RF only works with the extender. Unless the RF that controls the extender is the D* RF frequency.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#248 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,883 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:33 AM

Defining features of the Xsight Touch (ARRX18G) include: • 2.2-inch color touch screen with slider control • IR (infrared) and RF (433 MHz radio frequency) operation, the latter for controlling DIRECTV boxes and components hidden in a cabinet or out of the remote's line of sight (requires $99.99 ARRE433B RF Extender Kit)

http://www.audiovox...._200901074.html

It specifically mentions DirecTV boxes. Why mention DirecTV if it didn’t natively support DirecTV RF. Further it says “for controlling DIRECTV boxes and components hidden in a cabinet” which I also think implies native RF support for DirecTV receivers.

IMHO, this coupled with the info originally supplied to Stuart means they definitely intended to have native RF support. However, with all the delays I have to wonder if something isn’t working out very well.

Maybe URC has a problem with it. :shrug:

I'm assuming that URC came up with the method of using the RID to allow use of RF on multiple receivers.

I hope the XSight Touch comes out with DirecTV.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#249 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,759 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:22 PM

A new rumor of a remote capable of controlling a directv RF receiver, directly:

http://www.remotecen...hread.cgi?19618

Under the UEI Nevo brand.
aka Tivoburkee

#250 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:03 AM

UEI is also the manufacturer of both the DIRECTV remotes and the AR vaporware remote, so it's worth considering.

#251 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:16 AM

Take this with a huge grain of salt since it comes from AR support (via email), but they tell me the xsight can't do native DirecTV RF. I don't know if they really understood the question or not, but that's what they said. The email was signed "Audiovox Customer Care", which owns the One-For-All and RCA remote brands. UEI is the OEM for them. So AR just slaps their name on them and sells them (ok, if they actually existed, they'd sell them). In any case I wouldn't expect AR to know any technical details about the xsight.

The new nevo does sound promising. Their other models are serious remotes (wifi, web, ip device control, etc). The xsight isn't even in the same league as the nevo.

Edited by mdavej, 25 August 2009 - 09:12 AM.

#252 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,724 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

Any links to information on the new UEI Nevo? I searched but couldn't find anything about a new remote.

#253 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:53 PM

HERE we go again... :lol:

The new nevos apparently ARE the xsight. I guess the AR deal didn't work out, so they're trying to distribute it under a better known brand. (The xsight is a one-for-all in Europe).

It's promising that they still claim D* RF capability.

#254 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,724 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

The new nevos apparently ARE the xsight. I guess the AR deal didn't work out, so they're trying to distribute it under a better known brand. (The xsight is a one-for-all in Europe).

Awesome, as I kind of fell in love with the promise of the xSight in terms of features (not interested in RF) such as multiple profiles and an abundance of favorite channels per activity and macros that hopefully aren't restricted to 5 steps.

Now I will really look forward to the Nevo... :)

#255 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,724 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

Thinking about it, it may be time to lock this thread or rename it to Nevo! :P

#256 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:56 PM

I was thinking the same thing, but I'd like to see a few more confirmed sources first ;)

#257 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,724 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:08 PM

I see you've asked about it at AVS ... I hope you get some info from that dormant thread!

#258 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,739 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:01 PM

Very interesting. I wonder when they'll come out then?

#259 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:05 AM

I guess it is time to bid farewell to this thread. If someone gets some information on the Nevo remotes, feel free to start a new one.

#260 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:43 PM

"The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated".

I saw a post that hh gregg has them. I called my local store to confirm. They really do! They're HERE on their website too. HERE are the specs, in case anyone forgot.

Hope it wipes the floor with the harmony 900.

Who's gonna be the first to test it with DirecTV RF...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...