Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can You Stream Your High Definition Content On Your PC To Your HR2X?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JayPSU

JayPSU

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:16 PM

Please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong forum. I was wondering if there is a way to stream your high definition files from your computer over to your HR2X box? If so, can someone walk me through it or post a link to where it's explained? I think this would REALLY help my wife be able to use these files for her own enjoyment since it's harder for her to figure out how to do it from the computer.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:27 PM

Search for "Media Share". There are many threads. You'll need to use a Media Share server other than WMP11, because all video will need to be transcoded into an MPEG2 transport stream, which is the only video format the HR2x's understand for Media Share. I would speculate that MPEG4 streams might eventually be supported, but the general-purpose CPU in the HR doesn't have the horsepower to transcode HD video by itself, so other formats will need to be transcoded on the PC.

#3 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,981 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:31 PM

You probably should have asked in the Information, Tips and Resources or Plus HD DVR forums, but....

High definition content can be streamed (MPEG2 format), but only bit rates up to about 10 Mbps are supported. It is still labeled as "beta" for good reason.

#4 OFFLINE   JayPSU

JayPSU

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:33 PM

High definition content can be streamed (MPEG2 format), but only bit rates up to about 10 Mbps are supported.

The ones I have are the standard 720p mkv files and mostly tv shows. Will these work?

#5 OFFLINE   jlatham

jlatham

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:34 PM

This is a good question. Mkv doesn't work with my xbox 360 so it would be nice if the hr did it.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:56 PM

As hard as it is to do on the computer, it is much more involved to do it on the HR2x.

#7 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,981 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:58 PM

The ones I have are the standard 720p mkv files and mostly tv shows. Will these work?

I suspect that you would have to transcode to mpeg-2 and possibly reduce the bit rate. Since the DVRs have a built-in decoding for mpeg-2 and mpeg-4, I suspect (or at least hope) that mpeg-4 will be supported before long.

I don't know which, if any, media server software supports mkv to mpeg-2 transcoding. It looks like it will take quite a bit of computing power to handle that format.

When transcoding or converting, choose TS instead of PS, if possible (less likelihood of audio issues).

#8 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:00 AM

It's not streaming but you can use a USB media player to transfer your MKV files and then play them directly to the tv. It's much simpler than streaming since you don't have to worry about transcoding or the flaky Media Share. HD is no problem.

Here's a good one:

http://www.wdc.com/e...asp?driveid=572

Natively supports Video -MPEG1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (MPEG4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV, MOV (MPEG4, H.264), MTS, TP, TS

One place to buy: http://www.amazon.co...31685839&sr=8-1

Be sure to read through the reviews (mostly very good) on Amazon.

Another reason to go media server is you can use trick play, something you can't do with streaming (other than pause).

Dell just put this on sale today for $89. http://accessories.u...=2999&_nks=true

Edited by Bob Coxner, 11 January 2009 - 11:46 PM.

Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:34 AM

Are any of these hardware or software solutions going to make watching videos easier than popping them up in a computer based media player? If not, they are all counter to answering the OP's issue.

#10 OFFLINE   Cyclone99

Cyclone99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:05 PM

Yes, it can be done. I stream 720p mkv tv shows to my HR20 using Mediatomb on linux. It was a little tricky to set up, and fast forward and rewind are not supported, only start, stop, and pause; but it does work.

#11 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,468 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:42 PM

Yes, I can play HD videos (vacation videos, family events , etc), some 720p and some 1080i, that I have created in MPG2 keeping the bit rates in the 8-9 Mbps range. I have tried some higher rates and some have played but start and stop during play back, and others I just get the error message they are to high a bit rate.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#12 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:05 PM

Are any of these hardware or software solutions going to make watching videos easier than popping them up in a computer based media player? If not, they are all counter to answering the OP's issue.

Very true. I honestly don't know how much easier it can be to double-click the file on a computer and have it play.

Jay, perhaps you just need to create a shortcut folder on your desktop for your wife's movies so she can just open that folder and then launch the movie of her choice. Using Media Share isn't hard on the client end but it is more involved then just using the computer. This is all assuming she's fine watching it on the computer and doesn't care if she watches on the TV or not.

#13 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:51 PM

I think the media server is easier since it doesn't involve messing with Media Share. If you can transfer a file from your PC to an external USB hard drive, then you have the expertise needed. It's also much better than using an older computer to stream video. Trick play is important to many of us. Being able to use all of the normal DVD player trick play options is a big deal versus the only option of "pause" when streaming from a PC.
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

Protected By... spam firewall...And...