Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

****SPOILER*** Refs Change the Titans/Ravens Game

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:05 PM

Baltimore had the ball driving when the playclock ran down to ZERO and the Refs don't back the Ravens up 5 yards. Instead they are allowed to run a play and get into Field Goal Range. The NFL has some explaining to do. I'm not a Titans fan either but they got ripped off.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cdizzy

cdizzy

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:07 PM

True. It was delay of game without a doubt.

Honestly though, they didn't deserve to win anyway. Good teams finish drives.

HR44-200 Genie

Genie clients X2

HR21-100

DirecTV customer since 2003

#3 OFFLINE   rkr0923

rkr0923

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:10 PM

It happened all year

#4 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:11 PM

NFL = National. Fixed. League.

#5 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

This is the second time in 3 days that someone has put a sports spoiler in the title of a thread in a forum where the majority of people have DVR's.

How can members be so myopic?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#6 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:15 PM

This is the second time in 3 days that someone has put a sports spoiler in the title of a thread in a forum where the majority of people have DVR's.

How can members be so myopic?

People watch sports on a time-shift? :)

Title changed.

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#7 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:21 PM

Did this affect the game? A bit. Perhaps more than a bit.

But I don't really think it changed the game that materially. There was still lots of time left on the clock. Ravens potentially could have still converted the 1st down.

But I could be wrong. :)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#8 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:27 PM

3 turnovers, the most crucial in the 4th Quarter when they were in field goal range, a missed field goal, 10 points total in the game. That's what cost the Titans the game, not the missed delay of game call.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#9 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

Ok...as a huge Ravens fan I would like to give my opinion on this.

First of all it should have been called a delay of game, I agree with that.

That is a penalty that is missed a lot and it was missed a few times this year that hurt the Ravens but I understand this is a much bigger game.

However the Ravens would have still had the play over so anything could have happened. Even if they did not convert the would have probably punted the ball inside of the 20 and stopped them like that did after the kick off anyway. At that point the game would have went to over time and anything could have happened.

BTW if it was not for the horrible call earlier this year against the Titans they probably would have been on the road either here or in Pittsburgh most likely so they got very lucky there. For anyone that does not know what I am talking about it was 3rd in long with only a couple of minutes left in the game. There was a incomplete pass and a hit to the head call against Terrell Suggs on Kerry Collins. He hit him in the shoulder and all of the national media even said it. If that was not called we would have won that game.

#10 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:39 PM

I'm as big a Titans fan as you'll find and I say that the Titans could have won without the turnovers, and penalties that they racked up. As for them not throwing the flag for delay of game, yeah that was BS but the Titans made too many mistakes to win!! Their's always next year!!!!:D

#11 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:51 PM

I didn't have any skin in this game and didn't really care who won.

That being said, it always bums me out when 1 team clearly outplays the other and still loses.

The Ravens had basically one drive all game and they scored a TD off it. Then, they had a pretty lucky pass play (where both defenders fell) that got them a field goal and another field goal that was aided by a blown delay of game call.

The Titans were racking up yardage on almost every drive and then had some crucial errors that cost them points. Titans should have won that game 27 - 13 easily. I feel bad for them.

Oh, and I could have sworn that Flacko stepped out of bounds in the end zone when they were pinned back on the 1 in the fourth quarter. Couldn't get a real good shot of it, but I slo motion played it back several times and it sure looked to me that he would have had to have stepped out of the back of the end zone.

#12 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:01 PM

I didn't have any skin in this game and didn't really care who won.

That being said, it always bums me out when 1 team clearly outplays the other and still loses.

The Ravens had basically one drive all game and they scored a TD off it. Then, they had a pretty lucky pass play (where both defenders fell) that got them a field goal and another field goal that was aided by a blown delay of game call.

The Titans were racking up yardage on almost every drive and then had some crucial errors that cost them points. Titans should have won that game 27 - 13 easily. I feel bad for them.

Oh, and I could have sworn that Flacko stepped out of bounds in the end zone when they were pinned back on the 1 in the fourth quarter. Couldn't get a real good shot of it, but I slo motion played it back several times and it sure looked to me that he would have had to have stepped out of the back of the end zone.

As for Flacco being out of bounds I thought the same thing but during the post game they showed it again and he was not even close to going out. After showing the back angle everyone said he was in by about 5 inches.

As for the better team. Yes Titans did move the ball on us today but we stepped up and stopped them when it counted. We forced the 3 turnovers.

As for the moving it on us you have to remember they had a short week this week without a day off going against a team that had a bye week. Another thing people seem to forget about this team is they have not had a bye this year. They lost their bye when the game against Houston was cancelled late Friday night. They practiced that entire week. They only had off one day since they did not play the game.

#13 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:22 PM

As for the better team. Yes Titans did move the ball on us today but we stepped up and stopped them when it counted. We forced the 3 turnovers.

Perhaps. I think the turnovers were more a result of the Titans doing things wrong (not tucking the ball away, for example) then the Ravens doing things right. I think the Ravens were fortunate to get those turnovers. I don't think they "tightened their belts" and played harder when it counted.

#14 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:31 PM

Did anyone else see Keith Bullock pushing the guard rails over after the Titans lost? It was hillarious to me once i realized he was doing it because I was throwing pillows around the living room in a crazed rage when they aired it!!!!!:lol:

#15 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:10 PM

The missed call wasn't the reason for the loss. It's not like a missed pass interference call or bad ball spot. The ref's also gave them a makeup penalty the next play. The Titans lost because they were just plain sloppy.

#16 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:00 PM

Too many penalties and turnovers is what finished the Titans off.
The missed delay of game call in the 4th quarter was just "icing on the cake",so to say.
Like another poster stated earlier,there's always next year. :)

Steve

#17 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:07 PM

Just got home from the game... :(

The missed delay of game call was definitely unfortunate... But so were all of the turnovers... Oh well... Next year it is! :sure:
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,221 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:36 AM

The missed call wasn't the reason for the loss. It's not like a missed pass interference call or bad ball spot. The ref's also gave them a makeup penalty the next play. The Titans lost because they were just plain sloppy.

Agreed!

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:08 PM

From a critiquing-officials point of view... that missed delay of game call was horrible. It was close to 2 seconds late on the snap (so easy a caveman could notice)!

That said... instead of a 1st down, the Ravens would have been 3rd & 7... and I can't say with any confidence that the Titans would have stopped them from continuing the drive since they didn't stop anything else on that drive.

The real tale of the game were the turnovers... and in particular that one fumble at the 1 yard line. That one was killer because it killed the drive with no points. Even 3 points and there'd still be a tie... but that was a TD waiting to happen with a 1st down inside the 1.

So, no gripes about the outcome of the game being "cheated"... but those refs need to get some behind-the-curtains chastising for missing a really obvious call.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#20 OFFLINE   ccr1958

ccr1958

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:26 PM

honestly i wish all the crud on the screen was not there
every second of the game...
scoreboard,clock,continuous bottom scrolling,10 different angles of a play,
super duper slo mo, over the top commentary...
please, just let the game be played & officiated on the field :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...