Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

****SPOILER*** Refs Change the Titans/Ravens Game

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

Baltimore had the ball driving when the playclock ran down to ZERO and the Refs don't back the Ravens up 5 yards. Instead they are allowed to run a play and get into Field Goal Range. The NFL has some explaining to do. I'm not a Titans fan either but they got ripped off.

Why didn't they challenge that or they can't challenge it.

JACK,

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:09 PM

Why didn't they challenge that or they can't challenge it.

I think the play started with less than 2 min. so couldn't be challenged. And am not sure if delay of game can be challenged. Would be curious if someone finds out.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#23 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:20 PM

A penalty call (or lack thereof) cannot be challenged.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#24 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,499 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:43 AM

A penalty call (or lack thereof) cannot be challenged.

I thought it was a good question, because there is at least one situation where a non-penalty CAN be challenged.

Belichick challenged in one game where he believed the other team had 12 men on the field at the snap. He challenged, and the video replay showed 12 guys at the snap and he won.

I'm not sure, though, if clock management can be challenged.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#25 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:35 AM

Ok...as a huge Ravens fan

Mike congrats on the Raven moving on to the AFC Championship game good luck

JACK,

#26 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:38 AM

Mike congrats on the Raven moving on to the AFC Championship game good luck

Thanks. It should be another good game between us and Pittsburgh.

#27 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:42 AM

I thought it was a good question, because there is at least one situation where a non-penalty CAN be challenged.

Belichick challenged in one game where he believed the other team had 12 men on the field at the snap. He challenged, and the video replay showed 12 guys at the snap and he won.

I'm not sure, though, if clock management can be challenged.

Hmm, not sure why he could do that.

If you google it, the challenge rules clearly state that you cannot challenge penalties

#28 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:37 AM

Hmm, not sure why he could do that.

If you google it, the challenge rules clearly state that you cannot challenge penalties

I thought the same thing but I clearly remember the game when they reviewed it and the defense had 12 men on the field and they penalized them for it following the review.

#29 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:23 AM

Twelve men on the field might be the only one you can challenge. I seem to recall that being a named challengable item.

BTW, at least last year, IF a legitimate challenge was initiated, penalties could be assessed or reviewed during the process of reviewing the play. I've yet to see it happen, and who knows, they might have removed that aspect of review.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#30 OFFLINE   pfueri

pfueri

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:25 AM

Baltimore had the ball driving when the playclock ran down to ZERO and the Refs don't back the Ravens up 5 yards. Instead they are allowed to run a play and get into Field Goal Range. The NFL has some explaining to do. I'm not a Titans fan either but they got ripped off.

I agree bad no call . But that is not why the Titans lost . They just did'nt play as good as ther record was . Just like Carolina did . They just choked .

Edited by pfueri, 12 January 2009 - 10:49 AM.

#31 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,609 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:47 AM

The refs in the Eagles -Giants game took away a play after they used replay and determined the play did not get off before the clock hit 2:00.

#32 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:54 AM

But that wasn't a challenge, right?

#33 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:59 AM

Just to add to the no calls a missed safety against the Titans. I thought it was but the announcers never said anything and just moved on. If that safety was called then the game winning field goal would not have even matter. The Ravens would have won 12-10 instead of 13-10.

http://www.profootba...-an-extra-down/

#34 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:03 AM

Just to add to the no calls a missed safety against the Titans. I thought it was but the announcers never said anything and just moved on. If that safety was called then the game winning field goal would not have even matter. The Ravens would have won 12-10 instead of 13-10.

http://www.profootba...-an-extra-down/

Yep, saw that too. I rewound that one a couple of times and looked at it. Thought for sure it was a safety, but couldn't remember the exact rule (does the whole ball need to be out of the endzone or only part of the ball). I guess I know now (whole ball).

#35 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,499 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:58 PM

Twelve men on the field might be the only one you can challenge. I seem to recall that being a named challengable item.

BTW, at least last year, IF a legitimate challenge was initiated, penalties could be assessed or reviewed during the process of reviewing the play. I've yet to see it happen, and who knows, they might have removed that aspect of review.

Peace,
Tom

I can't be 100% certain... but I faintly remember a time when a play was being reviewed last year and during the review they could clearly see a facemask that had not been called... and I thought they assessed that penalty.

Again, I could be wrong on that memory... but I know I remember the Belichick one clearly as the announcers praised him for knowing he could make that challenge.

At least in this case we aren't talking about a goof/miss that changed the game. All the Titans turnovers, especially in scoring territory, are what cost them and they said as much post-game.

Carolina really let me down. I was rooting for San Diego but I knew Pitt was good and perfectly capable of a beatdown... but I expected at least some fight from Carolina against Arizona.

At least big kudos and congrats to Arizona and now they get to host the NFC championship game!

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#36 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,611 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:38 PM

they should just change the rule in the offseason at the spring competition committee meetings to let clock hitting :00 plays be challenged.

#37 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:55 PM

I can't be 100% certain... but I faintly remember a time when a play was being reviewed last year and during the review they could clearly see a facemask that had not been called... and I thought they assessed that penalty.

Again, I could be wrong on that memory... but I know I remember the Belichick one clearly as the announcers praised him for knowing he could make that challenge.

I don't doubt your memory at all. I'm glad it got assessed. I wish I had a chance to see that one.

(I finally got to see an attempted free kick after a fair catch this year.) :)

Go Packers!

#38 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:57 PM

they should just change the rule in the offseason at the spring competition committee meetings to let clock hitting :00 plays be challenged.

There is some discussion that it will be reviewed. (But it's the sportswriters saying that, not the committee.) :)

Go Packers!

#39 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,611 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:18 PM

watch NFLN total access show wednesday nite 6:30pm-8:00pm....mike pierera the vp of officials will be on....it will be interesting to get his "take".

spam firewall