Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

CES ONSITE REPORT PART 1 - Confessions of a Gadget Junkie

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:49 PM

OVERALL VIEW: Following a lengthy flight for RichieRich and me to jointly travel to Las Vegas together, we were both anxious to see this “Bucket List” event called the Consumer Electronics Show.

Ever since last year, as well as other things I’ve read about this thing over the years, I’ve always wanted to see firsthand. The only way I can summarize it…this thing is HUGE.

Based on a number of PM requests, I also made sure that my camera came along, and it got plenty of use – I had been asked to make sure and get plenty of pictures…these are just a handful here. This “kid” was in the candy store.

There is no way you can see the entire multiple-convention center building-event unless you are prepared to spend all 4 days here and wear out at least one pair of sneakers – only had about 2 days there for this reporter…and even then, you better study the map you get with the registration material to plan, plan, plan.

My reports are a mere sliver of what we chose to see, and did see, at the show itself. Our interests were in Home Theater (including anything HD), as well as computer and networking areas, for which the highlights are here in these reports.

What we did see is thousands and thousands of attendees…reports of the CES’s demise, or very low attendance this year are totally bogus. Many booths were packed with people standing to see 100’s of demos. There were over 200 booths there, some of which were nothing short of monsterous in size.

Aisles in the various halls were VERY busy, as were exhibit booths, eating locations, and the extra supply of taxis flying around town - “busier than any time the past 4-6 months” (according to the cab drivers themselves). Even night-time activities were hopping and busy.

In short – if this thing was indeed down 15% in attendance….who could tell?

The plan we had in mind centered around Home Theater/HD (who would have guess that, huh?), as well as some computer related technology….so if you’re looking on the wireless technology here….sorry….we never even made it to that other large slice of the CES – it would have taken another full day.

At the end of the first (very long 23 hour) day…we were fortunate enough to meet with an onsite group of fellow DBStalkers, as well as SuperMods Doug Brott and Stuart Sweet. Personally, I had been looking forward to finally meeting them (no, they are not either cartoon or other fictional characters – they are real). Enjoyed ever minute of that time together, as well as the opportunity to thank both Doug and Stuart in person for all of the voluntary hard work they do here at DBSTalk.

Part I Photos (left to right):

Photo 1: Las Vegas Main Convention Center Main Entrance
Photo 2: Convention Center Badge Redemption Center
Photo 3: Convention Center Main Lobby Entrance
Photo 4: Convention Center Main Lobby Signage
Photo 5: Las Vegas Strip 1
Photo 6: Las Vegas Monorail

Hint: All the photos in my 4-part report are in 1600 X 1200 size, so you may want to view them in "full size" to get any detail you might be looking for...

Attached Files

Edited by hdtvfan0001, 12 January 2009 - 11:54 AM.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:52 AM

Please note that I also added a few more photos in the "Part IV" thread.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

spam firewall