Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Garmin Offers Lifetime Map Updates

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:28 PM

Garmin® Offers nüMaps Lifetime Map Update Program

Garmin announced today that it would offer nüMaps Lifetime, a single fee program that enables customers to download the latest map and point of interest information every quarter for the life of their personal navigation device.

“Having the most current and up-to-date maps help our customers get the most out of their satellite navigation device. With nüMaps Lifetime, access to the latest maps is just a few mouse clicks away,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales. “For just one single fee, our customers can be certain they’re traveling with the most current maps.”

The updates include new points of interest, streets, and addresses. Customers can purchase a nüMaps Lifetime retail package through an authorized Garmin dealer or purchase directly online, at www.garmin.com/numapslifetime. Maps are downloaded directly to the customer’s computer and installed on their device. Subscribers can sign up to receive email notices when each new map update is published – up to four times annually. Map data is provided by NAVTEQ – the world leader in premium-quality mapping.

nüMaps Lifetime is available in three different versions:

* City Navigator® North America NT ($119.99 - check model compatibility HERE)
* City Navigator Europe NT ($139.99 - check model compatibility HERE)
* City Navigator Transatlantic ($149.99 - check model compatibility HERE)

The nüMaps Lifetime program is valid for the life of the customer’s unit. The subscription is not transferable if the unit is sold, and is not transferable to another compatible unit.

More @ http://www.centredai...ry/1045642.html

Edited by Nick, 12 January 2009 - 01:05 PM.
added compatibility links

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,662 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:30 PM

I sure wish Magellan had this.
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#3 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:34 PM

All I can say is awesome and its about time. Of course this isnt for every Garmin unit. We got a c330 a couple years back and only after a bit of time had passed did we find out the maps were significantly out of date. The only option for us will be a full priced map upgrade.

Sad thing is the c330 is still for sale so some folks are going to get into a boat like we are where they will continue have to pay for the updates.

#4 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:01 PM

In a word.... SWEET

Thanks for the info !!!

KC

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN
DirecTV subscriber since 1996

#5 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:27 PM

Wish they had done this a month ago when I just paid for their latest 2009 update...
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#6 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:48 PM

of course the sub story is there is now a timer built into unit.. burns up in 3 years :lol:

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#7 OFFLINE   cmtar

cmtar

Icon

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:55 AM

You have to pay? I downloaded new maps and updates for free a few times since I had the gps.

#8 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:31 AM

This is great! Thanks for the heads up Nick. Its about time!

#9 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,170 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:18 AM

In a word.... SWEET

Thanks for the info !!!

KC

+1

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#10 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,170 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:38 AM

You have to pay? I downloaded new maps and updates for free a few times since I had the gps.

I believe you get map updates for only your first year and then only if information needs to be corrected (A good example of this is Griffin, GA where it has it's left and rights backwards). After that first year, you needed to purchase a upgrade CD in order to get new information or subscribe to this new lifetime update service.

Edited by fluffybear, 13 January 2009 - 09:43 AM.

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#11 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,170 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:53 AM

One very important note:

This map update can only be used to update the preloaded maps that came installed on your Garmin device. For example, a Garmin GPS device preloaded with North America maps only cannot be updated with a nüMaps Lifetime Europe or Trans-Atlantic Map Update, and vice versa.

In short, if you only have North American Maps on your GPS, do not waste the additional $30 to get the Trans-Atlantic update in hopes of adding Europe.

nüMaps Lifetime will be available beginning January 22nd

Edited by fluffybear, 13 January 2009 - 09:00 AM.

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#12 OFFLINE   cmtar

cmtar

Icon

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:01 AM

I believe you get map updates for only your first year and then only if information needs to be corrected (A good example of this is Griffin, GA where it has it's left and rights backwards). After that first year, you needed to purchase a upgrade CD in order to get new information.

Oh I gotcha, yea i have only had it for about 4 months.

#13 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:25 PM

This is FANTASTIC! I have a 360 that works great for me, except that a major, daily-used freeway extension isn't in my maps, and the further extension, which was just recently completed, isn't in NavTec's database still. I was going to hold off updating until September, when the annual updates are normally released, hoping to get both sections at once, but this is a MUCH better solution.

Given that our area is still growing, and new installs tend to happen in new areas, being able to get regular map updates is going to be a big help.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...