Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NFL : Colts head coach Tony Dungy announces retirement

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,420 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:10 PM

FOX Sports reported this a little while ago.

http://msn.foxsports...-as-Colts-coach

NFL Network is carrying the press conference live at this time.
Colts owner/CEO Jim Irsay has confirmed that Dungy is indeed retiring.

Edited by Steve615, 12 January 2009 - 04:22 PM.

Steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Smthkd

Smthkd

Icon

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:15 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A sad sad day for the NFL!!:nono2:
Media/Family Room:
Panasonic TC-P65S1 Plasma , Toshiba XA2 (28 HD DVD's),Sony 60gig PS3 (80 Blu-Ray/16 Games), Onkyo 705, Infinity CC2, 4 Infinity RS5, 2 Infinity Overture 3,Velodyne DDS12, Directv HR20,Monster Power HTS2500 MKII, SlingBox ProHD
Master Bedroom:
Hitachi 55HDS69 Plasma, Sony STR-DA4ES, Toshiba A2, Directv - H21
Seating Room:
Panasonic 34" HDtv, Toshiba A2, Directv H21

#3 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:20 PM

I must agree that this is a sad day for the NFL, but I fully understand his reasons. I couldn't bear to be away from my family as he has over this past year. He is one class act gentleman and will be missed greatly I'm sure.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,544 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:00 PM

He will be missed... but going out on your own terms means something AND this is a guy who has plans to do a lot more post-football stuff that is important to him also so hard to blame him for going out on a high note.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#5 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:54 PM

Good move for Tony, too bad for the NFL. They are losing a class act. I remember Tony from way back in his University of Minnesnowta days. He's always been a leader that could be counted on throwing everything into his efforts. I wish him success in his future efforts also.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#6 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:32 PM

WOW!!!!:eek2: I didn't see that coming!! He is truly a class act and he will definately be missed by the players as well as the rest of the Colts organization!!!

#7 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:38 PM

Since Dungy and Peyton came together in Indy, I've become somewhat of a bandwagon Colts fan, so there's a part of me that was sad to hear that Tony had chosen to retire.

On the other hand, he gets to be with his family now. Even though he spent alot of hours at the office, and he had a private jet available to fly home to see his son's football games on the weekend, it had to be horrible being halfway across the country from his family.

I've found it particularly interesting today.... in the world of professional sports, we all know that coaches and players alike are judged on wins and losses. And yet, so many of the articles today are focusing on Tony Dungy 'the man', not Tony Dungy 'the coach'. I can't recall another coach retiring and having the focus be so much on the off the field stuff.

One of my favorite articles I've read today:
http://myespn.go.com...have-heard.html

The NFL definitely lost a good man today.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#8 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,420 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:10 AM

On another Colts related note,Jim Caldwell is being introduced as the team's new head coach live on NFL Network at this time.

Steve

#9 OFFLINE   Pepster

Pepster

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:10 PM

WOW!!!!:eek2: I didn't see that coming!! He is truly a class act and he will definately be missed by the players as well as the rest of the Colts organization!!!

Tony's been hinting at this for a couple of years now. He's got some faith based things going on in his life & retiring will now give him the opportunity to expand those. As you stated, he's been "ALL" class & the N.F.L. was made better by his presence.

#10 OFFLINE   rey_1178

rey_1178

Icon

• Registered
  • 679 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:20 PM

I hope it goes well for him. he's an excellent coach and even a better person.
Directv member since 2008 HR34-700,HR24-500 & HR20-700-swm lnb
Sirius member since 2003

Dish member from 1999-2008 vip 622 & vip 211

RIP john h..........

spam firewall