Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

921 demise - any one know when?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   doxieland

doxieland

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:00 PM

my dear 921 is still chugging along....with it's daily black screens and need of constant reboots. any one know how much longer i have with it before it becomes a doorstop?

thanks,
doxieland

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Allen Noland

Allen Noland

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:01 PM

You can call Dish and get it replaced anytime.
Allen

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:28 PM

Actually, I'd jump on that replacement quickly, because at some point soon, they'll stop doing those free upgrades.

To the OP: Dish will give you a free upgrade to a leased 622 receiver, which is FAR better than your 921, and of course, gets all the MPEG4 HD programming.

#4 OFFLINE   doxieland

doxieland

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:53 AM

if i do take the leased 622, can i continue to use the 921 as a standard def receiver in a different room - if so, for how long will it function or is it REALLY going to be turned off?

thanks again,
doxieland

#5 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:54 PM

If you get the right CSR, you should be able to get it replaced by an owned 622. At least that's what happened to me. YMMV though, since my 921 also managed to die right after I re-activated it. Go figure.
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:07 PM

In the next month or two, Dish is changing its entire infrastructure over to a new version of its encryption system, from Nagravision v2 to v3. Only receivers with the new, purple access cards (or newer receivers with updated internal access cards) will work with Nagra v3. A number of older, obsolete receivers, including the 921, aren't getting new cards or the software to make the new cards work, so once the system is switched over, the 921 is going to be a brick. It won't get anything in any resolution.

#7 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:02 PM

To big to be a doorstop, I think it would be a trip hazard.

I agree with IIP, I'd move on, there's no telling how much longer any upgrade offer will be available.

#8 OFFLINE   BarryO

BarryO

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:58 PM

Just to close this saga, my 921 got bricked on 04/09/09.

A guy's bringing out a 622 on Sunday.

#9 OFFLINE   TSR

TSR

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

The Discontinued Receiver Promotion will Expire 1/31/2010, so while you do have plenty of time
to call in, I would recommend you do it as soon as possible.

#10 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:33 PM

Actually, I'd jump on that replacement quickly, because at some point soon, they'll stop doing those free upgrades.

To the OP: Dish will give you a free upgrade to a leased 622 receiver, which is FAR better than your 921, and of course, gets all the MPEG4 HD programming.

Swapping an owned DVR for a leased DVR is never a good thing. Make sure you get a 622 that you own! It should cost you nothing to get this upgrade. E* wants to get all 921's (as well as 942's and several SD DVR's) "off the street" due to the TiVO suit.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,969 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:18 PM

"Swapping an owned DVR for a leased DVR is never a good thing" - adding to that you paid $1000 for this POS 921 back then. It's more likely class action suit should start from all 921 owners against rotten rules of the corporate.

#12 OFFLINE   mark40

mark40

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:05 PM

Nice idea, the number of services you could add into this mashup is nearly unlimited. Indeed you have given me an idea to a little app I have been developing.

#13 OFFLINE   oxy8384

oxy8384

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:41 PM

I upgraded to a leased 722 a while back and moved the (decommissioned) 921 into the bedroom as an OTA HD receiver and DVR (in anticipation of getting an HD TV in there, soon). I don't remember seeing any information in my Dish bills about the COMPLETE demise of the 921 or an exchange program and, by the time we noticed it was struggling(we rarely watch TV in bed), no one at Dish knew anything about swapping the OWNED 921 for an OWNED 622. After going around in circles I gave up. Then, it bricked. Very frustrating. If I ever do decide to leave dish or add another HD DVR to the mix, I think I'll just demand that they let me keep the 722. By that time, it will be paid for anyway.

First, they get you hooked on MPEG2, then upsell you to the hard stuff (MPEG4), and the next thing you know, your freebasing MPEG11.

Is there a 12 step program for me?;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...