Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrade questions

galaxy 25

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:06 AM

Here's my situation, and I've posed it in a few places but wanted to get some input from here.

I am moving into my grandfather's house in order to take care of him, and it's a move that will probably be long-term (as in, he plans to leave me his house). Currently he has one directv receiver, a D10 IIRC, and a 3-LNB dish with built-in switch. The dish is mounted on a pole in the front yard, and there is one coax cable running from the dish to the back of the house where it enters through an old existing primestar box with a grounding block that is properly grounded which has been there since we had primestar.

One catch--the coax is not buried..long story, but we had to interrupt the DirecTV install and told the installer we would bury it but never did.

I am comfortable with burying the coax, because it is a short distance. However this is what I would like to accomplish and would like opinions & I have a few questions:

Upgrade the single SDTV tuner now to a dual HDDVR tuner, but not run any additional cables

Add another HDDVR in a bedroom and one additional SD no DVR receiver in another bedroom. End result would be two HDDVRs and two SD non DVR receivers. The catch here: for now, until we start some remodeling, we can't drill the floor or walls to get cables into the additional rooms. I plan to use flat RG-6 through a window in each of these rooms. They are all near the grounding block coming into the house, so distance is not an issue.

Questions:
If I call and order DirecTV from DirecTV, is there any way to guarantee a SWM install? If so, I can pre-run splitters and cables to where I want the receivers. If not, would there be a major hangup if I purchased SWM equipment and had it ready, sans dish..IE buy a switch and splitters and put the switch at the dish ready for the input from a non-SWM dish? I've read about a new 3-LNB Ku/Ka dish, is this compatible with the external SWM switch?

Will a new Ku/Ka dish fit on the same pole as a 3-LNB dish? If not, can I tell the DirecTV rep that it's a pole install so that they are prepared? Last time the guy had to go back to get supplies to put in a pole. I know a pole install isn't covered in the free install and I'm prepared to pay.

I know it's a weird way to get it setup, but SWM is really the best way for me to avoid having to drill walls and floors. We're about to start remodeling the house and will be moving some TVs around, most likely, and also will probably add at least one or two locations in the future, so SWM I think will be the most flexible way for me to do the changes over the next year as we work on the house.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:27 AM

Call D* and ask them you seem to have answers to your questions except what D* will do and we can't answer that.

#3 OFFLINE   clb4g9

clb4g9

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:03 PM

Without answering the rest of your questions, if you would like to keep the same pole for the slimline dish it will work but you will need an adapter. You can purchase one of these on ebay for about $10 shipped (search for slimline adapter) and if you have it ready for the installer that's one less thing you need to worry about.

#4 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:13 PM

Questions:
If I call and order DirecTV from DirecTV, is there any way to guarantee a SWM install? If so, I can pre-run splitters and cables to where I want the receivers. If not, would there be a major hangup if I purchased SWM equipment and had it ready, sans dish..IE buy a switch and splitters and put the switch at the dish ready for the input from a non-SWM dish? I've read about a new 3-LNB Ku/Ka dish, is this compatible with the external SWM switch?

I don't believe the D* CSR's can "guarantee" a SWM installation. And since this is not a new install but an upgrade, they will probably say it doesn't qualify for a SWM install. Of course what you actually get will be up to the installer. If you don't mind spending the money out of pocket, you could just go ahead and but the SWM equipment yourself and have the installer use it. I would probably go with the SL3 dish (here in B'ham, we don't need to see 119 or 110). You could also buy a SWM8, and then if the installer brought a non-SWM dish, use that. The SWM LNB would probably be fine unless you anticipate ever going beyond 8 tuners in that house.

#5 OFFLINE   dave2323

dave2323

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:31 PM

Without answering the rest of your questions, if you would like to keep the same pole for the slimline dish it will work but you will need an adapter. You can purchase one of these on ebay for about $10 shipped (search for slimline adapter) and if you have it ready for the installer that's one less thing you need to worry about.

Or if you're lucky the installer can do with yours what one did with mine. He just slipped the new 2" pole over the old one and used set screws to solidify. I had D* make a note of the need for an adapter on the work order but the installer didn't bring one. He got the work-around from his supervisor and it works great.

Edited by dave2323, 13 January 2009 - 05:36 PM.

spam firewall