Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Software for Vinyl to MP3

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:34 PM

My BB Storm finally got me to buy a USB phonograph, so I can digitize my LP collection (mostly 60s and early 70s). This has been fun so far (I found an Allman Bros at Fillmore East album I didn't remember I had), and my 20-year-old son wants to copy most of my music (which makes me think his head isn't all that screwed up).

Anyway, the Sony software that came with the phono splits the album into tracks, but doesn't allow you to simply create separate MP3s for each track. I though I had just saved it wrong, until the support reply told me that to create separate recordings, you have to save the file under another name, delete all the tracks except one, then go back to the original file and repeat the process. Yikes!

A Google search turned up several free software downloads that claim to allow you to create separate MP3 at once. Can anyone recommend the best one for this purpose?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   deltafowler

deltafowler

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 953 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

Good God man!
Why are you putting yourself through this when it's already been done for you :confused:

#3 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:07 PM

Good God man!
Why are you putting yourself through this when it's already been done for you :confused:

Not sure I understand your question.
How has it already been done for me?

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:35 PM

He means that 98% of your vinyl is available on CD already, so a clean, digital copy is available. (And likely, they're already available for download in MP3 format, both from legit pay sources and otherwise.) And he's right.

But to answer your question, I have little experience with the programs you're talking about, but I'm not sure how well they'd work with vinyl captures anyway, given the noise level. IMO, you're best off splitting the tracks manually, as you've already been doing. This gives you the greatest control, and likely a much better chance of having it done right than what some software will do.

#5 OFFLINE   deltafowler

deltafowler

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 953 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

Not exactly what I meant.
PM sent.

#6 OFFLINE   xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:00 PM

maybe just play a song, stop recording, name it, play next song?
Here I am! Rock you like a Hadoken!!

#7 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:25 PM

He means that 98% of your vinyl is available on CD already, so a clean, digital copy is available. (And likely, they're already available for download in MP3 format, both from legit pay sources and otherwise.) And he's right.

But to answer your question, I have little experience with the programs you're talking about, but I'm not sure how well they'd work with vinyl captures anyway, given the noise level. IMO, you're best off splitting the tracks manually, as you've already been doing. This gives you the greatest control, and likely a much better chance of having it done right than what some software will do.

The software I've looked at so far has the option to reprocess to reduce hiss and crackle. The little I've played around with it, it seems to work OK.

AS for the track separation, I ran a 2-LP set together, and the software split the tracks in the correct place with one exception, when I hit PAUSE too soon when I switched records, and didn't allow a sufficient gap between sides.

#8 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:27 PM

maybe just play a song, stop recording, name it, play next song?

I considered that, but, of course, it would be easier to just play one side of the record.

Plus, when filling in the tags, I'd have to do each tracks album and artist individually.

#9 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:28 PM

I expect to play around with this in fits and starts over the next few weeks (or until my wife gets fed up with the turntable on the coffee table).

I'll try to report back with my experience.

Thanks for your advice.

#10 OFFLINE   CoriBright

CoriBright

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:23 PM

If you have Roxio, you already have the software. If you have XP and the Digital Plus! pack, likewise. Since I don't use Nero, I have no idea whether it also includes the features that Roxio does, but Roxio has had this capability for the last three releases at least, I can't remember further back than that! Personally I use Adobe Audition, but that's probably because I paid so much for it, I think I should use it for something!!!
Cari
www.coribright.com
www.juganet.com
www.jaredletochat.com
www.doausa.com

#11 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:04 AM

In my world I call this blasphemy.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#12 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:08 AM

(and I mean that in the kindest way)

Yes, I still listen to good old fashioned records, but with tube amps. There is something about the sound that cannot be described over the internet.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#13 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:22 AM

and my 20-year-old son wants to copy most of my music

You realize, of course, that this is illegal?

On to the other subject....

I use a program called Gold Wave to capture the music from the record. Gold Wave will do EVERYTHING you are looking to do. It will do auto splits, but I prefer to use the manual feature in the program. It will also do pop and click removal, but, for that I use anther program called "ClickRepair". Very easy to use and does a better job.

http://www.goldwave.com/
http://wwwmaths.anu..../~briand/sound/
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#14 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:58 AM

You realize, of course, that this is illegal?

On to the other subject....

I use a program called Gold Wave to capture the music from the record. Gold Wave will do EVERYTHING you are looking to do. It will do auto splits, but I prefer to use the manual feature in the program. It will also do pop and click removal, but, for that I use anther program called "ClickRepair". Very easy to use and does a better job.

http://www.goldwave.com/
http://wwwmaths.anu..../~briand/sound/

Thanks for the links.
I'll check it out.

#15 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:00 AM

If you have Roxio, you already have the software. If you have XP and the Digital Plus! pack, likewise. Since I don't use Nero, I have no idea whether it also includes the features that Roxio does, but Roxio has had this capability for the last three releases at least, I can't remember further back than that! Personally I use Adobe Audition, but that's probably because I paid so much for it, I think I should use it for something!!!

I know I have Roxio on the laptop currently connected to the phonograph. I'll take a look at that.

Thanks for your help.

#16 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:04 AM

(and I mean that in the kindest way)

Yes, I still listen to good old fashioned records, but with tube amps. There is something about the sound that cannot be described over the internet.

I never ran the records through a tube amp, but I still have the speakers, aobut 2' high, that I bought in 1970. Now they're connected to an HR20 and 40" LCD.

I do miss the mildly-distorted music from my car radio played with the windows down through an AM station echo chamber.

#17 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,201 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:43 PM

I have used Audacity, a freeware program for Windows, to record some LP's, 45rpm, and 78rpm records as well as cassette tapes. I have a turntable that only handles 33 and 45rpm records, but Audacity includes a feature to handle changing the speed of a 78rpm record played at 45rpm so that the sound isn't distorted. Audacity includes click and hiss removal filters.

I am also using my 30-year-old Ampex tape recorder for recording from cassettes that include songs captured from old FM broadcasts, such as Benson Curtis' "Strictly from Dixie" program.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#18 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:59 PM

I have used Audacity, a freeware program for Windows, to record some LP's, 45rpm, and 78rpm records as well as cassette tapes. I have a turntable that only handles 33 and 45rpm records, but Audacity includes a feature to handle changing the speed of a 78rpm record played at 45rpm so that the sound isn't distorted. Audacity includes click and hiss removal filters.

I am also using my 30-year-old Ampex tape recorder for recording from cassettes that include songs captured from old FM broadcasts, such as Benson Curtis' "Strictly from Dixie" program.

That sounds great. My mom has a nice collection of 78 discs, in the original albums (hence the use of the word for an LP). Not sure where she's stored them, but I'd love to track them down and digitize them. Of course, I'd have to get her an MP3, but she'd love it.

I had possession many years ago of a 1940s-era Wallensack reel-to-reel -- the kind that required you to thread the tape around various spring-loaded spindles. It was a classic, but I gave it away to the chief engineer of my college radio station.

#19 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:28 PM

I had possession many years ago of a 1940s-era Wallensack reel-to-reel -- the kind that required you to thread the tape around various spring-loaded spindles. It was a classic, but I gave it away to the chief engineer of my college radio station.

Some of the old stuff that I used to play with: http://www.pbase.com...1/image/3370998
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#20 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:12 AM

I've just starting playing around with LP --> PC. I'm really impressed with vinylstudio from alpinesoft . Not free, $30, but seems to do everything with little effort on my part.

spam firewall