Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

WJXT CH4 Jacksonville First to offer local news in HD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JTWestside

JTWestside

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:33 AM

http://www.jacksonvi...ocal_news_in_hd

The independent station will begin its HD broadcasts with the noon news, and then gradually add HD to its other newscasts over the next couple of weeks.

WJXT will roll out its HD newscasts gradually to make sure everything is working properly. After starting Wednesday with the noon news, it hopes to add the 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. newscasts on Friday.

Subscribers to satellite systems DirecTV and Dish Network might not be able to see WJXT’s HD broadcasts right away, because the companies have not been carrying WJXT’s HD feeds. But the satellite companies are working on it and should be carrying the HD feed soon, Rafferty said.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,244 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:57 AM

This is great news, and for an indie to take the lead in locally produced news in HD indicates WJXT's commitment to the community and to the inevitable arrival of hi-def television.

As a Comcast sub, I already have WJXT in the HD tier, so I've set my HD DVR to record their inaugural HD broadcast today at 12:00, in just a few minutes. I'll be reviewing it later for PQ, set design and overall quality.

Jacksonville’s other local news stations haven’t announced plans for HD newscasts.

“The question isn’t if we’re going to do it, but when,” said Jeffrey Whitson, vice president and general manager of WAWS TV-30 and WTEV TV-47. Whitson said he couldn’t put a timetable on his stations’ conversion to HD.

WTLV TV-12 and WJXX TV-25 general manager Dodie Cantrell-Bickley could not be reached for comment.

It's my hope that WJXT's leadership in local HD production will light a fire under the competition. At least for the present, WJXT has my eyes and ears when it comes to local news.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

spam firewall