Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What can I expect ordering HD DVR Plus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mitch300

mitch300

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:50 PM

Convinced the wife to purchase a HD T.V. in the bedroom. We have the old tivo SD reciever in their and want to upgrade to the HD DVR. I have been with D* for 8 years. I pretty much get every channel including the NFL ticket and MLB extra innings. I have a total of 5 recievers one of them is the HD DVR in the living room. So I checked on line and seen that the HD DVR is 200 bucks. If I call and ask to speak to a cusstomer retention rep can I expect to get a discount? Also I will need a installer to come out because the SD dvr in the bedroom only has one cable input. At the time of that installation since I have 5 recievers I would have to have the install some device( another multi switch?) that would cost 500 bucks to be able to get more lines. I figure I would just cx one of the SD recievers in one of the extra roooms since no one watches T.V in their and it would free up one of the cables. So the installer needs to run another cable in the bedroom to have the 2 lines in the new HD DVR.

Edited by mitch300, 14 January 2009 - 01:24 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,982 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:02 PM

Convinced the wife to purchase a HD T.V. in the bedroom. We have the old tivo SD reciever in their and want to upgrade to the HD DVR. I have been with D* for 8 years. I pretty much get every channel including the NFL ticket and MLB extra innings. I have a total of 5 recievers one of them is the HD DVR in the living room. So I checked on line and seen that the HD DVR is 200 bucks. If I call and ask to speak to a cusstomer retention rep can I expect to get a discount? Also I will need a installer to come out because the SD dvr in the bedroom only has one cable input. At the time of that installation since I have 5 recievers I would have to have the install some device( another multi switch?) that would cost 500 bucks to be able to get more lines. I figure I would just cx one of the SD recievers in one of the extra roooms since no one watches T.V in their and it would free up one of the cables. So the installer needs to run another cable in the bedroom to have the 2 lines in the new HD DVR.

With 5 receivers, you already have a multiswitch (almost certainly a WB68). Retention is really for people who want to cancel Directv service, so you should probably ask a regular CSR (at least initially). With the extra services you get, you may be able to get a better deal than shown on the website, but the only way to find out is to ask.

#3 OFFLINE   mitch300

mitch300

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:08 PM

Thanks Bob for the responce. I remember the installer at the time stating that the multiswitch had a limit that it could handle and I guess I reached that limit( lines hooked up) .

#4 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:05 PM

Thanks Bob for the responce. I remember the installer at the time stating that the multiswitch had a limit that it could handle and I guess I reached that limit( lines hooked up) .

The Wb68 can be bridged (adding another) making it a total of 16 ports, Which can be added if you want to run second cables to another room. D* installed my first and only WB68 for free if D* I would think that a second would be free from them, unless you are using a private contractor?

Edited by WestDC, 19 January 2009 - 12:13 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:59 PM

Installation includes any Dish/switch hardware needed to make your receivers work. The tech will likely add a second WB68 switch.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...