Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

new roof, no signal

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   blast24

blast24

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:21 PM

I had a new roof installed today and now there is no signal. Dish Network, Dish 500 system with a wing to 61.5 for HD. I've tried the point dish screen and don't get any signal on 110, 119 or 61.5. My contractor said the dish could be out of alignment because the old roof had two layers of shingles that were removed. Could that be enough to knock out the alignment? Should I just call dish and explain the situation or try re-pointing myself first?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,365 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:35 PM

Removing two layers of shingles shouldn't be a problem ... other than how did they get the shingles out from under the dish? If they removed or clobbered the dish during removal of the shingles a reaim seems to be logical.

#3 OFFLINE   blast24

blast24

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:14 PM

they did remove the dish, he said they put it back in the same spot. How easy/difficult will it be to try to reaim it myself, I don't have a signal meter. If I do have to call dish, I assume there will be a charge to have someone come out.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:29 PM

Yes, there will be a charge to have a tech come out and re-aim the dish. Most likely, he'll have to remove the dish, re-plumb the mast (which might mean removing the mast entirely), then aim the dish.

Without a meter, you'd need a second person down looking at the signal strength meter while you aimed the dish. You'd also need a way to communicate (cell phone with hands-free headset) while you adjusted the dish, probably while on a ladder.

If you aren't comfortable doing that, call Dish. It's a lot cheaper than medical bills!

#5 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

Check to make sure the mast is plumb. There would be no real reason to change any of the bolts on the dish, so Skew and elevation should be ok. Use the cell phone or Walki Talki, have somebody in front of the TV, and have them tell you as the signal bar moves. Give it a try and see what happens. Call and see if you can get somebody out for free, you never know, but you can always try it yourself.

#6 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:29 AM

Any time you are reroofing or repairing a roof plan on scheduling a reinstall. I've never seen a roofer that can realign correctly a satellite system. I've seen dishes reinstalled using roofing nails only(good for 1 or 2 wind storms), completely surrounded with tar. I've even seen the old roofing left and new roofing cut around the old(just asking for a leak).

#7 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:21 AM

How easy/difficult will it be to try to reaim it myself, I don't have a signal meter. If I do have to call dish, I assume there will be a charge to have someone come out.

You don't need a signal meter. You just need a friend watching your TV and a couple of cell phones.

First, make sure the pole is perfectly plumb. Check it with a level. If it isn't, then either find a way to level it, or pay for a Dish service call.

Go online to see your approximate aiming position. Get your Dish receiver in setup mode to show the signal strength you're getting. Then slowly move the dish (up/down, left/right) until you get some signal. Move even slower to maximize the signal strength, then tighten the dish in place.

If that works, your problem is solved and you didn't have to pay anything. If not, it's time to call Dish.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#8 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:52 AM

You don't need a signal meter. You just need a friend watching your TV and a couple of cell phones.

First, make sure the pole is perfectly plumb. Check it with a level. If it isn't, then either find a way to level it, or pay for a Dish service call.

Go online to see your approximate aiming position. Get your Dish receiver in setup mode to show the signal strength you're getting. Then slowly move the dish (up/down, left/right) until you get some signal. Move even slower to maximize the signal strength, then tighten the dish in place.

If that works, your problem is solved and you didn't have to pay anything. If not, it's time to call Dish.

I some what agree. But I would just plumb it then just move it left or right.
See if your dish was install correctly to begin with it just needs to be plumb then pointed in the right direction. So don't touch the angle adjustment.
Good luck.

#9 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:50 PM

It helps to understand exactly what "plumb" means. The best tool to use is a torpedo level. The mast has to be plumb all the way around (taking bubble level readings 90 degrees apart will do). Without taking the 2 readings, it's possible to be plumb on one side but not the other, as strange as that my sound. I wish there was a visable way to show what I'm talking about.

After establishing that the mast is plumb, slowly rotate the dish until you get a signal on the "point dish" menu. If you use a cell phone to listen for the tones, keep in mind there is a bit of delay (latency) on digital cell phones so when you start hearing a higher pitch stop and wait to see if the same pitch is there. Due to the latency it's possible to swing past the right spot. This is from personal experience. If you have old analog walkie talkies that would actualy be better, but you can do it with a cell phone if you have patience.

By the way - be sure to use a known transponder to aim on (i.e. not all transponders are available everywhere due to spot beams, MPEG 4 HD etc.) I believe Transponder 10 or 11 is the standard for both 119 & 110.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#10 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:24 AM

Chances are if they removed two layers and really put it back exactly like it was that you just need to raise it 1/2 an inch. Have someone watch the meter on the setup screen. Go to the roof and pull back on the top a little. See if that makes the signal come in. If it does, loosen the bolt and move it just a little up, then tighten. It might be that simple.
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#11 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:38 AM

Chances are if they removed two layers and really put it back exactly like it was that you just need to raise it 1/2 an inch. Have someone watch the meter on the setup screen. Go to the roof and pull back on the top a little. See if that makes the signal come in. If it does, loosen the bolt and move it just a little up, then tighten. It might be that simple.

If you think roofers put it back exactly the way it was I have a bridge to sell you.:eek2:

#12 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:42 AM

If you think roofers put it back exactly the way it was I have a bridge to sell you.:eek2:

Not everybody understands how important having the mast Plumb can be. Roofer more than likely did put the dish in the exact same spot, mast just isn't plumb.
I would like to see how some of you would do in the good ol days, when SAT signals were only detectable via bounce back, in the power bar, NO wimpy SIGNAL METER's.
Azimuth, and Elevation had to be figured out by hand, not everybody had a slide rule, either. So after you figured out your Own, Latitude and Longitude, you had to do math to find azimuth and elevation to the known Sat location.
I realize you are an expert on this, but I will make it easy for you. Position 33deg 16'N x 117deg 26'W, SAT is at 117W x 0 N. Whats Azimuth and Elevation? Can't figure it out? I have ocean front property for you in Arizona.

#13 OFFLINE   davejacobson

davejacobson

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

The worst re-installs I have ever seen hav been done by roofers. The mast always out of plumb. The lag screws in at an angle and no sealant.Like it has been said the first check is a plumb mast. That means taking the dish off the mast. No shortcuts on a plumb mast if you start out wrong your angles wont mean a thing.
A good serviceman is not expensive or free. He is priceless

#14 OFFLINE   blast24

blast24

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:59 PM

thanks for all the info. I did try to repoint the dish but i'm still not getting a signal. a dish tech is coming out tomorrow.

#15 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:25 AM

When I had my roof re-done, I asked specifically about what they would do. And I watched them to be sure. He did use the same holes since mine is in my garage, and I can see the bolts on the inside of the roof. :) I did have to do a minor adjustment after he left since it was not sighted perfectly.

What he did that made me mad though ... I had an older second dish that I wanted to take to my weekend retreat in the woods. I have an old 300 dish there that only sees 119. I guess since I told him he didn't need to remount the old dish, he thought that meant he could mangle it! The dish is OK, but they bent the mount when they removed it. Grrrr! :mad:
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

spam firewall