Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Thinking about Dish

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   quadmandan97

quadmandan97

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:46 AM

I was thinking of going to Dish Network from Directv but I don't want any more holes in my roof. Do you know if the Dish can mount on a Directv Slimline mount? It is 2 in diameter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,231 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:00 PM

I was thinking of going to Dish Network from Directv but I don't want any more holes in my roof. Do you know if the Dish can mount on a Directv Slimline mount? It is 2 in diameter.

The DISH Network dishes use a 1-5/8" OD tube. The 2" OD tube is pretty much a DIRECTV Ku/Ka dish exclusive.

It may be possible to mount the dish somewhere other than on the roof (ie facia, wall).

I would make sure to leave the DIRECTV foot in place rather than tearing it out. The mast can either be removed or tipped down.

In a fit of ingenuity, you might try shimming the smaller tube into the DIRECTV foot with a piece of 3/8" metal plate. I would then slather it in metal protector or roofing goo to prevent oxidizing (rust stains).

#3 OFFLINE   quadmandan97

quadmandan97

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:05 PM

Which dish do I need for HD?

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,231 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:13 PM

Which dish do I need for HD?

DISH Network will provide you with the necessary dish and installation. Depending on where you live and where your local HD stations come from it may be one of three dishes: 1000.2 (110W, 119W, 129W), 1000+ (110W, 119W, 118.75W, 129W) or 1000.4 (61.5W, 72.7W, 77W). In some isolated cases, there may be two dishes required.

A city would help us determine what market you're in. You can find out for yourself what satellite slots are involved by visiting http://www.dishuser.net.

#5 OFFLINE   quadmandan97

quadmandan97

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:14 PM

I'm in akron oh area. Zip Code 44221.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,231 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:35 PM

Akron is part of the Cleveland DMA so I would expect that you would get a DISH 1000.4 (aka Eastern Arc dish). The HD locals (WEWS, WOIO, WJW and WKYC) come from 61.5W.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...