Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Windows 7 Tips & Tricks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

Microsoft has always it possible to relocate the Start-task bar to any edge of the screen although most people didn't realize it or for that matter implement it.

Windows 7 not only allows it, but for the first time they are activiely taking advantage of it, putting the effort into making sure that the bar functions properly and sensibly no matter where it is placed.

Now as never before there is an excellent reason to relocate the bar to either the left or right side of the screen... Screen Real Estate. In a time where wide screen monitors are more normal than not, the maximum screen real estate is from side to side and the up down real estate is at a premium.

Simply unlock the Taskbar and drag it to one side or the other. It is a little awkward at first, but once you get used to it, it becomes vey easy to use.

Screen captures below.

Larry
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:35 PM

Windows 7 will create a CD/DVD from an .iso image file without the need for a 3rd Party .iso burner. :grin:

See my grin...no more Nero bloatware:lol:

Screen capture below showing the results of clicking on the vista enterprise iso file in the background, pops up the iso burner dialogue box.

Larry
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
i'm a PC Guy

#3 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:44 PM

Windows 7 has simplified the ability to work laptops with projectors or dual monitors.

For that matter this also works when I want to throw my PC up on the Samsung 46".

Simply hold down the Windows Key and hit "P" and you will get the panel shown in the attachment below. The paired icons make it pretty clear as to what the selection reults will be.

Larry
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
i'm a PC Guy

#4 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:02 PM

Windows 7 will create a CD/DVD from an .iso image file without the need for a 3rd Party .iso burner. :grin:

See my grin...no more Nero bloatware:lol:

I have been using a very nice (and small) utility called "isorecorder" from Alex Feinman that does this. I also have Alcohol 120% which is much less bloated than Nero and it hadnles the process, too. It's nice to see MS incorporate a much-needed utility into the OS. :)

#5 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:52 PM

I have been using a very nice (and small) utility called "isorecorder" from Alex Feinman that does this. I also have Alcohol 120% which is much less bloated than Nero and it hadnles the process, too. It's nice to see MS incorporate a much-needed utility into the OS. :)

I second that took me 2hrs to download nero 9 and 10 mins for it to install on my pc. i later found a iso recorder from nfts which downloaded & burned the image in less than 20 mins.

And in the properties for the task bar you can actually tell windowns where to locate the task bar if dragging it doesn't work for you also
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:20 AM

If you build your own PC's, you know that you receive a disc (usually) with the various drivers for the motherboard. This can present a problem if you need a Windows 7 driver from the disc.

The disc's "AutoRun" will probably error out and report something about an unsuported OS.

You can open the disc to get at the files but chances are the setup.exe's will trigger the same problem.

I ran into this trying to install the SMBus drivers, but this fix will work for any of them.

Simply point the driver update manually to the folder and let it find the information it needs on its own. It will pull the proper information that Windows 7 needs from the files without running the setup.exe file.

Hope this helps.

Larry
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
i'm a PC Guy

#7 OFFLINE   VegasDen

VegasDen

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:35 PM

Win7 has a nice set of hotkey combinations to make navigating easier.

Here is a cheat sheet from an MS employee.

Panasonic TC-P50G10
Samsung LN52A550
HR24-200
H24-200
Samsung BD-P2550 linked to Netflix streaming

spam firewall