Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Convince me to jump ship.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:18 PM

Well,with a better price and more of my taste in programing (besides NFLST) Dish Network has become a better choice. I'm in Directv deep and have always loved them but I ask all of you subscribers of dish to convince me to jump ship. Please give me your opinion on why Dish is superior to Directv.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:23 PM

If DIRECTV doesn't get Travel Channel HD soon, I'll jump ship with ya!

#3 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:44 PM

There is thread that is discussing why people perfer Dish over DirecTV. I would start there. http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=150042

My 2 cents always starts with content. Content is king and if there is content one has over the other that you want then the rest does not matter as much.

In terms of equipment... The two main features I am aware of that Dish has over DirecTV in the HD DVR space is the PIP/DLB and the ability to record 3 streams (2 Sat, 1 OTA) at the same time.

Dish has an external EHD solution using USB drives. USB drives can be shared amoung VIP receivers inside the house.

In terms of PQ, opinions vary but for most the opinion seems to be they are equal.

Dish has some interesting technologies coming down the road with SlingGuide and the 922. Do a search and you should see those threads.

I would also suggest wondering over to the 722/622 support forums and take a look at the 722 first look document. SHould give you an idea of the features of that receiver.

Other than that.. Ask away.. I am sure people will be able to answer your specific concerns or questions.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#4 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 664 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:22 PM

Well,with a better price and more of my taste in programing (besides NFLST) Dish Network has become a better choice. I'm in Directv deep and have always loved them but I ask all of you subscribers of dish to convince me to jump ship. Please give me your opinion on why Dish is superior to Directv.

If you are in the New orleans market , Directv has been having the locals in hd for a while now, while dish still doesnt:mad:
i know they have been promising them since 2006, but maybe with the new sat, we will get them in Feb.

#5 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:51 PM

No I'm not in the NO market,I'm in the Lafayette market. I do love how dish offers CST.

#6 OFFLINE   cdizzy

cdizzy

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:58 PM

If it's a better price and has your "taste" in programming then why do you need to be convinced?

HR44-200 Genie

Genie clients X2

HR21-100

DirecTV customer since 2003

#7 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:12 AM

Whats included in the Dish everything pack. Does it come with their HD channels? What about DVR service and locals?

#8 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:15 AM

If it's a better price and has your "taste" in programming then why do you need to be convinced?

I have been with Directv for many years,Ive made a good rep with them and I am used to their hardware etc. Also I know I'm still under contract. So to jump ship would mean me letting go of everything Ive become so used to and also having to pay a early cancellation fee.

#9 OFFLINE   cdizzy

cdizzy

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:21 AM

I have been with Directv for many years,Ive made a good rep with them and I am used to their hardware etc. Also I know I'm still under contract. So to jump ship would mean me letting go of everything Ive become so used to and also having to pay a early cancellation fee.

Very understandable. I've never had DISH so I can't help your decision one way or the other. Good luck with your decision.

HR44-200 Genie

Genie clients X2

HR21-100

DirecTV customer since 2003

#10 OFFLINE   klegg

klegg

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:16 AM

Whats included in the Dish everything pack. Does it come with their HD channels? What about DVR service and locals?

In every sense of the word, it's EVERYTHING (HD/Locals/DVR). I don't believe you incur ANY DVR fees with the AEP either (although that could've changed).

One thing to remember. E* has a 4 tuner limit. With that said, MANY people have gotten around that with an e-mail to the "ceo". Plus, you can just buy extra receivers if you need them.

You will incur a one-time $40 fee to activate your ability to use a USB drive. It's only a single fee, not once for each receiver. After that, you can attach just about any USB drive to your receiver (only one at a time, but you can have MANY). The advertised limit is a 750Gb drive, but I and many other have used 1Tb drives.

BTW, everything I've discussed the previous paragraph pretty much covers the options for a ViP622 or a ViP722 (both dual tuner HD DVR receivers). If you go with the 2xx things are a little cheaper, but you get less functionality (less tuners, ability to record AND watch, etc.).

#11 OFFLINE   PRIME1

PRIME1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:12 AM

Personally I don't think I would jump either way if I had to pay the early cancellation fee. Not unless one offered something I really wanted that the other did not. HD locals or such...

For me I switched from Directv (who I had been with for a long time) 14 months ago when they would not give me a free HD DVR. I was not under any contract at the time was willing to re-sign for another 2 years, but they still wanted me to pay for a HD DVR that would not even be mine! I know things have changed now, but that is how it was then. I gave them plenty of chances and waited 3 months before pulling the trigger.

I picked up the phone and called Dish. They had my locals in HD, had the other channels I wanted, the price I wanted, the VIP722 I wanted.... etc. Very happy with Dish since. I signed up for the dishHD package when it was still offered back in May and I love the way I can have 1 DVR that runs 2 tvs.

Now there is still a lot that I wish was improved and we all always want more HD, but all in all, I'm a happy camper.

#12 OFFLINE   HDRoberts

HDRoberts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:34 AM

One thing to remember. E* has a 4 tuner limit. With that said, MANY people have gotten around that with an e-mail to the "ceo". Plus, you can just buy extra receivers if you need them.

Just to be clear (I think you imply it), that a 4 LEASED tuner limit. You can buy extra receivers.

Just to reiterate, some good reasons to jump ship:
-Dish DVRs are second to none
-They offer Travel HD and many premium channels in HD that DirecTV doesn't have (several Viacom and Fox channels are announced as on the way at some point this year)
-If you don't watch SD anymore, HD only is a great way to save money.

#13 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 664 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

No I'm not in the NO market,I'm in the Lafayette market. I do love how dish offers CST.

Well dish just uplinked 3 of the Lafayette locals in hd. They MIGHT offer them Soon when the new sat gets in place sometime in feb.

#14 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,041 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:55 AM

Please give me your opinion on why Dish is superior to Directv.

ViP722

#15 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,041 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:58 AM

With the everything pack DVR fee's are waived. Locals are always included unless they are not available via LiL or if you request to not subscribe to them.

The HD add on is a little extra... The is an AEP + HD package price.

#16 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:13 PM

Well dish just uplinked 3 of the Lafayette locals in hd. They MIGHT offer them Soon when the new sat gets in place sometime in feb.

Wow all you guys are giving a compelling argument. Especially what you just said about Lafayette locals. I'm gonna see how long I have left with Directv and see if Dish can give me a credit to offset the cancellation fee and if they could give me a good deal on receivers. I would like 4 HD DVRs or at least 2 HD and 2 SD. How much will that cost me,could I perhaps get them for free?

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:14 PM

AEP does NOT include HD nor locals. It does include the DVR fees for each DVR in the house.

Unlike DIRECTV, DISH charges for each DVR and their lease fees for HD receivers are $7 (first receiver is lease fee free).

The DISH receiver software seems much less a work in progress compared to the DIRECTV software, but given enough years, that may change.

The DISH external hard drive implementation is to die for compared to DIRECTV's solution.

How well the programming and packaging lines up for you is something that only you can decide.

Caveats:

1. NFL-ST and MLB-EI aren't available and probably won't be
2. The DIRECTV ETF is about $20/month left on the contract.

#18 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:30 PM

Ok,so if I wanted the AT250 pkg,with HD gold package,plus locals,plus 4 DVRs 2 SD and 2 HD how much a month would that be?

Edited by Brandon428, 16 January 2009 - 12:39 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:36 PM

A DVR fee for every DVR.

#20 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:08 PM

Ok,so if I wanted the AT250 pkg,with HD gold package,plus locals,plus 4 DVRs 2 SD and 2 HD how much a month would that be?

AT250 + locals + 1 DVR fee is $60.

Gold HD is $10.

Additional HDDVR is $13.

So $83 a month, assuming both vip722 are connected to phone lines or broadband internet connections. $5 per receiver if not.

Those are monthly charges. There'd be a $250 equipment charge for 2 vip722 HDDVRs under the current new customer offers. May drop $50 to $100 after 2/1. Installation and dish is free. $99 activation fee, waived with 2-year commitment, $10 cancel fee per month left.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...